I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/31/2019 at 3:26 PM, Matlock said:

Mine is 5150074. and I picked it up yesterday. The date on the box and the guarantee is 2019/04/24.

I just have seen this serial number comparing to the M-A 25th Anniversary Leica Shop (link )

The limited of 25 units offering made 2016 ( 5 150 021 ) has few numbers under your's 5 150 074 manufactured in april 2019 ⁉️

Mysteries of M-A's "allocated serial numbers".

As searching to clarify the mysteries, I came across this black M-A for sale, 2019 made !

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I just have seen this serial number comparing to the M-A 25th Anniversary Leica Shop (link )

The limited of 25 units offering made 2016 ( 5 150 021 ) has few numbers under your's 5 150 074 manufactured in april 2019 ⁉️

Mysteries of M-A's "allocated serial numbers".

As searching to clarify the mysteries, I came across this black M-A for sale, 2019 made !

Interesting.

• 1 month later...

I thought that mechanical M would become smoother in use (a lot ...).

But those M-A may be toughter than former M, as they are not smoother than some years ago.

It must have something to do with the new steel components as opposed to my multiple older M4 with brass components.

Or it's just only a myth "brass/steel" I built-up to, in the past ?

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I thought that mechanical M would become smoother in use (a lot ...).

But those M-A may be toughter than former M, as they are not smoother than some years ago.

It must have something to do with the new steel components as opposed to my multiple older M4 with brass components.

Or it's just only a myth "brass/steel" I built-up to, in the past ?

Hello A.Noctilux,

Over 500 years ago when clockmakers were beginning to make mechanical clocks a lot of the first clocks were made of Iron/steel. Because, of course, everyone knew that Iron/steel was stronger than brass. As time went on & these clocks wore away empiricist clockmakers realized that a combination of steel & brass, with the smaller wheels, for the most part, made of steel & the larger wheels, for the most part, made of brass, lasted longer & worked better than iron/steel alone.

Miniature camera technology is derived directly from the clock/watch industry. Miniature cameras generally have a component size that is in between the 2.

Steel wheels are stronger when using motors & the like but they do not have that harmony of interaction of dissimilar metals of balanced qualities, meaning a number of different steels of different characteristics & a number of different brasses of differing characteristics interfacing with each other in different ways in different situations.

An old clock from 250 years ago might have 5 or more types of brass & 5 or more types of steel in 1 mechanism.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 4

From what I read on this forum, Leica M-A owners seem to think that the battery cover on the MP is ugly (I own a BP MP and it doesn’t bother me). But, what’s with the 4 small phillips screws on the front of the body of the M-A? I personally think it distracts from the esthetic of an otherwise pretty camera. The MP (from which I believe the body of the MA is derived), doesn’t have these unsightly screws.

Erik

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, egrossman said:

From what I read on this forum, Leica M-A owners seem to think that the battery cover on the MP is ugly (I own a BP MP and it doesn’t bother me). But, what’s with the 4 small phillips screws on the front of the body of the M-A? I personally think it distracts from the esthetic of an otherwise pretty camera. The MP (from which I believe the body of the MA is derived), doesn’t have these unsightly screws.

Erik

The M3 has the four screws (not Philips admittedly), my MP3 has the four screws as do all my other M film cameras and my screw mount Leicas. What's to dislike?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, egrossman said:

But, what’s with the 4 small phillips screws on the front of the body of the M-A? I personally think it distracts from the esthetic of an otherwise pretty camera. The MP (from which I believe the body of the MA is derived), doesn’t have these unsightly screws.

Erik

Egrossman,

reading your post, I had a doubt 😉

Just check the thing on my M-A,

no sign of the 4 "Phillips head screws" as you suggested.

Sure, it wouldn't be nice looking with those cross-head screws.

Even then, in my view, this would not bother me to use M-A.

Before this morning, I can't remember, when the last time I look at my M-A (maybe some years ago to take some images of them).

Edited by a.noctilux

I think these 4 screws are only a decorative effect, since the case of the MA is actually that of the MP (see the location for batteries.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hello Comte de Mazan,

Very interesting, 

can you say where does this informative image come from.

Some years ago, I had seen this same image, and I wanted to be sure that there is the "cut-out" at this place under the M-A covering leatherette.

I didn't want to peel the covering, so I just tried to feel with my digits, but didn't feel the "under cover".

Anyway, that had no importance for me.

I see the M-A as formidable picture machine that this kind of details (nothing to do with photo experience 😉 ) doesn't bother me.

The "hole covering" work by Leica is good manufacturing that I applaud.

Edited by a.noctilux

11 hours ago, Matlock said:

The M3 has the four screws (not Philips admittedly), my MP3 has the four screws as do all my other M film cameras and my screw mount Leicas. What's to dislike?

Hello Everybody,

Actually, beginning with the M4 there are generally 5 screws on the front of most "M" film cameras.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 2

Traditionally, there were some screws visible on the body of Leica camera since the first one of 1925.

Those nice screws if only for decorative effect, in my view the decorations are effective 😇 only with slotted heads screws.

Just tried to find which Leica M have those Phillips head screws (Phillips screw ), in front ...the only one type in my stable is those Leica M4-P.

Other Leica Barnack or M have the nice slotted "antique" heads 🧐 so the M-A if only 7 slotted screws seen in front for the silver and 6 on the black,

😉 M4s have 6 1/2 screws ( or maybe 7 1/2 counting the lens release center screw, the one behind the field selection lever can be seen as 1/2 in 35/135 position , or not ! )

...fascinating pastime 😍

with this old image from some years back post #40 of November 2014

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

Funny talking about screws

on Leica M 😁

just discovered this image among others from my "testing M8 with different lenses" period, in 2007 ...

No less than slot head 8 screws seen on this small portion of the 1954's M3 ( less screws on later Ms ! ).

And one "hiden screw" which holds the selt-timer lever 😉.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:15 PM, a.noctilux said:

Peter and Marco,

I think that your futur M-A would be of same batch 😉.

When they arrive, please let us know their serial numbers if you don't mind.

curious to find out the serial number mysteries of M-A

Hello to all,
today I received my M-A from Leica Germany. Delivered to the Florence Leicastore
Serial number 510071 in the internal documentation and waranty card is reported " Fabr. nr date 2019/08/05"

Edited by MarcoIT
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MarcoIT said:

Hello to all,
today I received my M-A from Leica Germany. Delivered to the Florence Leicastore
Serial number 510071 in the internal documentation and waranty card is reported " Fabr. nr date 2019/08/05"

Nice 👍

In the serial number, one digit is missing ( 7 in all ).

Nice to know that Leica still offer newly manufacture M-A.