I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Until there will be an official statement from Leica in Wetzlar itself, quoting the serial number when this RUMORED change of the mechanics in the range&view-finder system of MP and M-A was implemented, speculations continue.

Am 29.1.2019 um 22:36 schrieb semi-ambivalent:

I had been wanting to do something like this because one reads of these differences around the L-forum. Denver was having one of its damnable blue skies (albeit 32degrees F.) but it gave me a chance to do some measurements without variability of illumination.

I fashioned a 3 inch long tube out of paper thick enough to make it opaque. One end "fit" over the eyepieces of my Leicas and the other fit much tighter over the incident dome of a Sekonic 308. Out on the porch I placed in turn each of the bodies on a tripod and aimed the rangefinder patch at a window of a house across the street. Then I placed the tube over the eyepiece, placed the dome into the tube, crunched it all together and took a reading. Dome was always used, meter set to ISO 1000, output in EVs. Measurements were repeated twice. This is very low tech so a grain of salt is advised:

Meter, no tube, no camera:  14.7

Meter + tube, no camera: 10.7

Meter + tube + M3: 6.7

Meter + tube + MP: 7.5

Meter + tube + M-A: 8.8

These differences are clearly visible in actual use as well. I'm not one to be perpetually disappointed but the VF on the M-A is just so clear and bright I wish the M-A was available when I bought my MP; it's that nice (meter arguments aside). If Leica placed it in the a-la-carte program it would be killer, if one was inclined to spend that amount of money...

If you had a diopter correction lens for the viewfinder, there would be more precision. Even if you would not sacrifice it by taking the lens out and using only the frame itself.

Add to that the cylinder connecting the light-meter and the viewfinder being black

and a tripod :) ?

1 hour ago, tri said:

Until there will be an official statement from Leica in Wetzlar itself, quoting the serial number when this RUMORED change of the mechanics in the range&view-finder system of MP and M-A was implemented, speculations continue.

You would think that if such a thing had happened, they would have made in known... (and probably used the opportunity for a price increase 😁).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tri said:

If you had a diopter correction lens for the viewfinder, there would be more precision. Even if you would not sacrifice it by taking the lens out and using only the frame itself.

Add to that the cylinder connecting the light-meter and the viewfinder being black

and a tripod :) ?

Sufficient unto the experiment was the precision thereof. =8^)

On 2/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, tri said:

soon I will also buy an M-A. what problem are you talking about? I buy it in Italy

1 hour ago, MarcoIT said:

what problem are you talking about?

There is no problem!

Just a rumour of a possible minor change in the rangefinder mechanism. Don't worry about it.

Edit: It's amazing... one person posts about a possible small change, after a misunderstanding another person asks "what's the problem"... next thing is we'll see "The M-A is riddled with problems" 🙄

Edited by ianman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ciao Marco, please read the whole thread here: there‘s the unconfirmed rumour, that the very latest MP and M-A have a brighter viewfinder, supposingly the same as in the M10. The ones, who already bought their M-A are understandingly puzzled.

Cordiali saluti,

Simone

On 2/20/2019 at 5:32 PM, ianman said:

There is no problem!

Just a rumour of a possible minor change in the rangefinder mechanism. Don't worry about it.

Edit: It's amazing... one person posts about a possible small change, after a misunderstanding another person asks "what's the problem"... next thing is we'll see "The M-A is riddled with problems" 🙄

Thank you all, now I understand. I have an M4 I'm about to switch to an M-A

Edited by MarcoIT
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MarcoIT said:

Marco,

If possible, go to the shop which you plan to order/buy your future M-A with your M4.

If possible, compare the viewfinder of your M4 with newer present M (not necessary M-A).

Let us know what you see.

• Like 1

And dear Marco, please let us know if the serial number is at least as high as indicated by ambivalent in his post with a photo you find in this thread( #5 151 104).

Imo all MP cameras have a brighter viewfinder than the venerable decades-old M4.

A comparison in the store of the M-A you plan to buy with the viewfinder of an older MP (or even M-A) would make even more sense.

20 hours ago, MarcoIT said:

As advised, bring the M4 with you and compare viewfinders. I found the MA, which I bought at the very beginning of its run, to be much brighter. This M10 rumor, well my understanding is that the MA from the beginning of its run had the improved focus mechanism of the M10. It was necessary in the M10 because the tolerances with digitize are naturally tighter than it is with film. The glass, brightness of the viewfinder, got better somewhere in the long run of the MP/M7 which the MA obviously adopted, same with the digital Ms. Brightness and rangefinder mechanics are not the same thing. Last point, you can update the viewfinder of the M4 to the most recent one and have if bright. I have the M4 and think it is the best M made (beats the M3 and M2 for framelines and modern/faster film loading). I also have the MA, always want 2 cameras with me for two films. Love the MA, feels like the M4 and it has the 75mm framelines, which are important to me, BUT if I had to own only one? M4

27 minutes ago, sblitz said:

As advised, bring the M4 with you and compare viewfinders. I found the MA, which I bought at the very beginning of its run, to be much brighter. This M10 rumor, well my understanding is that the MA from the beginning of its run had the improved focus mechanism of the M10. It was necessary in the M10 because the tolerances with digitize are naturally tighter than it is with film. The glass, brightness of the viewfinder, got better somewhere in the long run of the MP/M7 which the MA obviously adopted, same with the digital Ms. Brightness and rangefinder mechanics are not the same thing. Last point, you can update the viewfinder of the M4 to the most recent one and have if bright. I have the M4 and think it is the best M made (beats the M3 and M2 for framelines and modern/faster film loading). I also have the MA, always want 2 cameras with me for two films. Love the MA, feels like the M4 and it has the 75mm framelines, which are important to me, BUT if I had to own only one? M4

The M4 is a beautiful camera, I bought one as a partner to my M-A as well.  Maybe I got lucky but the viewfinder is clear and bright. Still, the M-A feels a bit smoother in operation to me (the M4 was just CLAd) and, if forced to keep only one body, I'd probably keep the M-A. But it would be a very tough choice and I hope I never need to make it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had my M4-2 with a two weeks clean in maintenance range finder and of course I compare it to the M-a.

this M4-2 has the brightest RF I had on a classic M.

I found them as bright. the only difference I found was the tint of the image.

the M4 has a slight yellowinsh tint, the M-a a slight blueish tint.

Nothing to say one was better than the other. ( as you know the early M4-2 are knowned to have super bright RF)....as the M4.

Of course the MA was smoother to operate....

On 2/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, tri said:

...hopefully the upgrade will substantively improve my, erm, ability to produce decent images. I therefore demand one.😬

I'm realistic about my place, that's why more than pleased with my M6TTL 0.85 , with the time wheel being bigger and turning the digital way. Because I don't believe in the white-out of the rangefinder spot my cam doesn't have it.

I saw a few pages back that several people saw bumps in the rear door around the ISO dial. I recently ordered a M-A read door and it comes without the leatherette. Not a great image but you can see the area where this is likely to occur.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

My current plan is to use a digital caliper to get the measurements of the pan, the ISO dial etc, and provide them to one of re-skinning providers (aki-asahi, cameraleather, or hugostudo). None of them currently provide their services for the M-A. Apparently the ISO dial is slightly offset versus the rest of the older film M's, with a slightly smaller diameter.

• 3 months later...

I hope you were able to fix your M-A rear door.

Would you or anyone know what the material used to cover the black chrome M-A is? For me this material is absolutely just right and I'd like to add it to another camera I have. But I have no idea what it is and where to source it from. I don't know of another Leica camera that has this exact same material?