I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The back of my M-A

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, pico said:

It is interesting that the engraving is not white-filled. Just saying.

- for stealth (maybe) as on the top of black M-A (even) no engraving at all (not even the serial number that is on the hot shoe's border).

- some kind of economy (maybe) or depletion of white ink 😪 when those M-A were in factory.

- silver chrome M-A has "old style engravings" on top and black-filled "MADE IN GERMANY" ( very thin in my sample ) at same place

• Like 1

I think the black chrome M-A was designed to echo the low key look of the original Monochrom which was launched a year or two earlier and generally well received. The silver chrome M-A is the more traditional alternative harking straight back to the M2. I like them both.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Mute-on said:

If there is a visible ridge as you describe, you are not being picky, and don’t take any crap from a Leica retailer who might suggest the same.

We pay over the odds for Leica in Australia, and you are perfectly entitled to expect your camera to be free of cosmetic defects.  If you are not happy, insist on a replacement. We are well protected by Australian Consumer Law to that effect. There is a test for acceptable quality under ACL that references appearance and finish, and takes into account matters including the nature of the goods and the price paid.  A very high priced good should therefore be expected to meet a high standard of appearance and finish.

Hi mute-on,

Thanks for your reply, your right! I'll go in tomorrow and sort this out and telll em I would like a replacement. I'll make sure to take a picture so you guys can see what i was talking aboit cheers!

• Like 1

vor 18 Minuten schrieb ianman:

Why are there two arrows on the film speed reminder wheel ?

I would assume to indicate the type of film currently used. That's how I would use it anyway. Black arrow for B/W film, red arrow for colour film. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I don't have an actual picture of mine, but I took a screenshot of an unboxing from youtube that illustrates my issue well!

If you look at the picture provided, due to the angle of light you can see where part of the leatherette looks to be raised or creased around the iso dial. To me, it looks as if part of the metal iso dial is under that portion of leatherette and so making it look to be creased/ raised or whatever.

I just wanted to confirm this was normal and the same with all your M-A's.

Thanks for all your feedback so far and looking forward to hearing your responses!

Cheers,

Allan.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yellow_78 said:

I don't think they are all like this – mine aren't – but I'm not sure that I consider the slight "creasing" in the leather to be something that could be considered a fault. I think it just natural variation in how the covering fits in relation to the ISO reminder dial.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I don't think they are all like this – mine aren't – but I'm not sure that I consider the slight "creasing" in the leather to be something that could be considered a fault. I think it just natural variation in how the covering fits in relation to the ISO reminder dial.

Hi wattsy,

Thanks for your feedback! I will keep this in mind. Leica store here have ordered a new one from Germany and they will let me compare when it arrives. 😊

• Like 1

I finally got around to taking a picture of the leather around the ISO dial on my M-A.  It seems to be consistent with the description of yours.  Like @wattsy, I've been assuming that it's natural variation and it doesn't really bother me.  The camera is perfect in every other way so I wouldn't personally risk exchanging it for another camera because of a minor cosmetic thing like this.

Edit:  I see that you posted an M-A unboxing video that shows the same thing.  Given that, I assume this is normal.

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 1:33 AM, Yellow_78 said:

Hi logan2z,

How long have you owned this camera? Please do load a picture when you get a chance cheers!

Picture uploaded in a post above.  I've owned my camera for just over a year.

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, logan2z said:

I finally got around to taking a picture of the leather around the ISO dial on my M-A.  It seems to be consistent with the description of yours.  Like @wattsy, I've been assuming that it's natural variation and it doesn't really bother me.  The camera is perfect in every other way so I wouldn't personally risk exchanging it for another camera because of a minor cosmetic thing like this.

Edit:  I see that you posted an M-A unboxing video that shows the same thing.  Given that, I assume this is normal.

Hi Logan2z,

Yes that is exactly like mine! Thank you very much for the clear picture and for making the effort to show me yours 😊. You are right in that it is ever so slight and not a huge deal. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone! Leica store have informed me the new one has arrived and they will let me compare and choose from the two. Phew... thank you all for your time and patience guys. Hopefully can start shooting soon! 😁

Allan.

8 hours ago, Yellow_78 said:

Hi all,

I don't have an actual picture of mine, but I took a screenshot of an unboxing from youtube that illustrates my issue well!

If you look at the picture provided, due to the angle of light you can see where part of the leatherette looks to be raised or creased around the iso dial. To me, it looks as if part of the metal iso dial is under that portion of leatherette and so making it look to be creased/ raised or whatever.

Thanks for all your feedback so far and looking forward to hearing your responses!

Cheers,

Allan.

Whatever it is, I would be less annoyed by this than the outline of a battery compartment blanking plug on the front of the some M-A cameras that I once read about somewhere.  It may have been here.

The back door of my black lacquer MP has a small raised circular outline in the 'sharkskin' cover adjacent to the iso dial.  It doesn't bother me, but I am mildly curious about what it is that's been hidden under the covering.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Whatever it is, I would be less annoyed by this than the outline of a battery compartment blanking plug on the front of the some M-A cameras that I once read about somewhere.  It may have been here.

The back door of my black lacquer MP has a small raised circular outline in the 'sharkskin' cover adjacent to the iso dial.  It doesn't bother me, but I am mildly curious about what it is that's been hidden under the covering.

My black paint M4 has exactly the same raised outline surrounding the iso dial.  I had assumed it was a result of the vulcanite swelling and pulling away due to age. It seems there is another, less sinister, cause. Good to know :)

• Like 2

After missing UPS's attempt to deliver this to my door by a minute, then waiting a day for it to appear at a pick-up business, it's here. A new batch too! Way to go Leica! It has the "ring" under the leatherette around the ISO reminder but it's very very subtle; I had to move it around in raking light to pick it up. I can see no evidence of a battery compartment "cover plate". My thumb thinks there's an edge but I can see nothing. Bayonet is "quicker" than the MP's but there is no slop. The shutter is smoother than my MP was at delivery but sounds about the same right now, with no film loaded. The viewfinder looks brighter than the MP but being five years older it certainly has some fine Rocky Mountain dust inside. The difference is slight but it's there. The 75mm frame lines are just barely little elbows. Not visually intrusive at all. The absence of the void for the meter lights is very noticeable. Nice. The silver chrome is flat out gorgeous. Eventually, there will be a dent. But for now it's perfect.

• Like 6