Leica X2: Rumors and Wishlist

davidhunternyc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my opinion, an X2 should have a lens similar to what we have in the Digilux 2. I could live with an increased size of the resulting camera. :cool:

Those who want to have a pocket camera may be happy with the D-Lux 5... :rolleyes:

I agree totally! You are a same D2 fan as me I know. :D And the zoom area of the D2 is really enough for normal daily operation. A fixed lens like in the X1 is IMHO no more "up to date" (means old-fashioned) for a compact camera which is not a system camera with changeable lenses, not useful and a big limitation, although one can use the "foot zoom" maybe, but what is not possible all time. The form factor of a D2 is really ok, so can be used for a X2, due to 2 reasons: one is that there is no need for a stabilizer (makes the cam cheaper), and 2nd: because this kind of camera is one take on a tour to make photos, and then it is no big difference if one has the size of an X1, M or D2 on the trip.

For all ever-ready operations one can take the D.Lux 5, which is for me, the perfect companion to Digilux2 (and maybe an X2).

• Like 1

Well Danielsan, it certainly depends on the individual lens. The D2 lens is a class of its own, and so are some of the R zoom (vario) lenses. I am conviced that Leica is capable of producing zoom lenses giving superb image quality for a hypothetical X2 or even a D2-successor.

I am conviced that Leica is capable of producing zoom lenses giving superb image quality for a hypothetical X2 or even a D2-successor.

First came the X1; the first of its kind. Then came the X100, perhaps with equal image quality, and which furthermore trumps the X1 with its built in OVF and EVF. I believe that Leica has to address the X100's viewfinder with its next X series, and I believe too that the next X series Leica can trump the X100 with a zoom lens that has superior image quality. This is Leica after all. If anyone can make a superior zoom lens, Leica can.

• 2 weeks later...

...Polo?

I expect there will eventually be MULTIPLE successors to the X1 - probably one to match every taste expressed here. Probably in sequence rather than all at once.

Not necessarily in order:

Single focal length with optical viewfinder

Zoom lens version

Zoom lens with zooming optical viewfinder

Interchangeable mount (it own lens line plus M/R adapters)

And possibly an aperture upgraded to f/2 somewhere along the line.

One note on the Digilux 2 lens, which was an excellent lens.

It was also a huge lens, as big as a Noctilux, even though it only covered an image area 1/9th that of the X1 sensor. The D-Lux lenses are a bit more compact, but are still only covering a tiny sensor.

To get a "Digilux 2" lens with the same quality, zoom range and aperture - that will work with an APS sensor - expect something at least 4 inches (100mm) long that takes 72mm filters. I don't think that will play on a compact-concept camera like the X line.

From a different angle, here is a Sony "27-105" zoom that covers the X1's APS image area. Only f/3.5, but it is still 66mm "fat" and 77mm long.

Sony DT 18-70mm 1:3.5-5.6 Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

You are right, a lens with the same specifications as the D2 lens that covers the image circle of an APS sensor would not be small! :o

Well, however, my personal intention is not a pocket camera, but a kind of "bridge camera", on which I could live with a somewhat larger lens. :) Secondly, with a modern APS sensor, a maximum aperture of 2.4 or 2.8 would also be fine, which would reduce the size of the lens a little bit compared to 2.0.... :cool:;)

I wonder, why some forum members dream of optical viewfinders. Even variable ones in case of an Xzoom are wished. Not even the M9 has such a feature, think of the Tri-Elmar.

The simplest and best solution is an EVF in my opinion. All controls visible, an exact view even in case of a zoomlens, no parallax (macro), etc.

It should be built into the X1+. That would be one of my wishes. By the way, I don´t need a built-in flash-unit.

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder, why some forum members dream of optical viewfinders. Even variable ones in case of an Xzoom are wished. Not even the M9 has such a feature, think of the Tri-Elmar.

The simplest and best solution is an EVF in my opinion. All controls visible, an exact view even in case of a zoomlens, no parallax (macro), etc.

It should be built into the X1+. That would be one of my wishes. By the way, I don´t need a built-in flash-unit.

Jan

Great. Keep it simple. I second the idea of an EVF viewfinder. I do think a much smaller, more discrete flash should be built in though, even though I have yet to use mine once on my X1. Above all: better build quality. The X1 is twice as expensive as the X100. It bloody better be built like what we have come to expect out of Leica. Please, is this the same company that built the lllG and M3?

Though I would prefer to see a full frame digital version of the CM, another interesting option would be with something like a tri-elmarit lens stepped for 35,50,90 f2.8-f4, i.e., forget about continuous zoom; even a two-step 35,70 would be interesting. These stepped options would also allow a simple integrated or add-on optical viewfinder with frame lines like an M camera.

I find when I borrow my wife's Canon s95 that I use the stepped zoom function anyway which lets me visualize the change in field of view like a series of prime lenses.

Nick

Yes but it is a small sensor camera. A full frame 35-70/2.8 lens would be much bigger that what you expect i'm afraid. APS-C zoom lenses are a good compromise but remains bulky when makers want both speed and high quality.

17-55mm AF-S DX Lens Review by Thom Hogan

The 35-70 f3.5-f6.3 vario elmar of the Minilux and CM cameras looks small, so perhaps a compact f2.8 to f4.5 version is possible for an APS-C sensor. Further, would limiting the lens to fixed settings, e.g., 35,70 or 35, 50, 90 equivalents, reduce the optical complexity/bulk compared to a continuous version of the same quality? i.e., a bi- or tri-elmarit.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S