Wishlist item: Digital-Module-M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see a bit of talk on the digital boards about users wanting an EVF only M camera, which sounds absolutely awful to me, so I'm just going to drop my wish list item here. 

Like the old R modules, but a modern take for the M system. Full frame, RAW only, would not need a screen, extra electronics could be put into a hand grip if need be. 

This would be an absolute dream item for me. Sure, you'd lose aperture priority and some other conveniences from the modern digital M's, but it would allow you to upgrade the guts as technology improved and keep the old body (not to mention swapping the module out when the urge to shoot film strikes). 

It won't happen, but a man can dream!

For the unfamiliar:

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Leica_Digital_Module_R

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Main difference is that the Leica R8/R9 were already equipped with contacts for the ROM chips and where probably designed with the DMR in mind. None of the M film camera's comes even close.

Second, I see no reason to pay about equal for a DMR-M as what the M11 costs now. At its launch the DMR was much more expensive than the M8, so in extrapolation we are talking about a 15K+ solution here 😱

Edited by dpitt

Posted (edited)

Biggest whinge over the last few years about some digital M models was thickness of body, M240 series is probably, either perceived or real, the biggest culprit here. For full disclosure i am happy owner of M240P and M246 pair.

Bolting full frame digital module to M film camera is not going to make it slimmer.  So unless the original poster have access to some extraterrestrial technology, as his avatar may be implying, this suggestion is going to go nowhere.   

Edited by mmradman

7 hours ago, dpitt said:

Main difference is that the Leica R8/R9 were already equipped with contacts for the ROM chips and where probably designed with the DMR in mind. None of the M film camera's comes even close.

I am no engineer, but I would assume that is because the R8/R9 had electronic shutters with AE modes. Not having contacts has never been a problem for the Hasselblad digital backs as far as I am aware (never had one!). 

6 hours ago, mmradman said:

Biggest whinge over the last few years about some digital M models was thickness of body, M240 series is probably, either perceived or real, the biggest culprit here. For full disclosure i am happy owner of M240P and M246 pair.

Bolting full frame digital module to M film camera is not going to make it slimmer.  So unless the original poster have access to some extraterrestrial technology, as his avatar may be implying, this suggestion is going to go nowhere.   

7 hours ago, dpitt said:

Second, I see no reason to pay about equal for a DMR-M as what the M11 costs now. At its launch the DMR was much more expensive than the M8, so in extrapolation we are talking about a 15K+ solution here 😱

The Motorola DynaTAC cost $4k in 1984 and would not fit in your pocket. One of the great things about technology is that it gets smaller and cheaper as it progresses, and we've had 20 years since the DMR released. There are already early days 3rd party options, the technology will only improve (in both size, cost and results) and I am sure that Leica could do a much, much better job of it than a group of people doing it as a hobby (not to mention that rangefinder lenses need a sensor designed for them). 

As mentioned in the OP, I highly doubt that it will ever happen, but the reasons above are not the reasons why (more likely Leica would rather sell you an MP, an M11 and then an upgrade to an M12 when that comes out). 

I like to carry 2 bodies with me (as long as there is sufficient space), my MP and my M10. Depending on the motive, the situation and my mood I either take an analog or a digital photo.

The idea of a digital back was created in the old days, when digital cameras were just like analog cameras, only having a sensor instead of film. Using it now creates major disadvantages. To change the media asks for mounting work, the module will be most likely almost as expensive as my M10 (however still with reduced features), probably pretty bulky and I would loose the above mentioned freedom.

From my point of view a good idea, but only at first glance.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where to start in terms of why a digital module no longer makes any sense but digital in an M being generally a bit crap is probably a good place to begin.

As for the Hasselblad not having any contacts that is not completely true. There are no electronic contacts on, say a 500 body, but there is both a flash sync port on the lens and a simple mechanical linkage between the body and the back (the little metal bar that protrudes when the shutter is depressed and is there to detect the presence of a dark slide). Both methods have been used to trigger digital backs on a Hasselblad. The Hasselblad V, being completely modular and using lenses with leaf shutters (flash sync at all speeds), is much more suited to Heath Robinson digital modules or backs than a Leica M.