Leica X2: Rumors and Wishlist

davidhunternyc

• 2 weeks later...

Why dos a FF digital camer have to be so much larger then a 35mm film camera? Can't they squeeze the electronics and battery where the film used to go?

Or can they, is it just a matter of cost?

For me the missing camera, is an X1 with a viewfinder (EVF is fine), with the lens like the one from the Digilux 2 but now 22/24mm-90mm and F1.8.

It isn't just the size of the sensor that creates a problem. As anyone that has worked with sensors knows, to minimize noise the sensor must stay cool. The bigger the sensor the more power it takes and the hotter it gets. With a DSLR you have a lot of space to heat sink the sensor and pull the heat away from it and dissipate it through the body. As the body gets smaller, the area for heat dissipation is reduced and the mean temperature goes up. If you have picked up a NEX-5 and used it for a short time you start to notice how warm the body is getting.

• Like 1

A 40mm f2.0 and an optical viewfinder would make it a must-have for me.

Bill, were you meaning 40mm actual on an asp-c sensor, ie 60mm equivalent full 35mm frame, or 40mm at full frame equiv.?

Edited by dhsimmonds

If Leica made a proper digital CM, with a lens as good as the CM, and with an optical viewfinder better than the CM (because that was pretty ropey), autofocus at least as good as a CM and with a sensor from an X1, I would buy one tomorrow.

I won't buy an X1 tomorrow. Or any tomorrow.

I suspect that there are thousands like me who want a proper, compact, quality digital camera that doesn't require a squint and extended arms to use, nor an add-on viewfinder.

Cash waiting.

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why do you need a built in VF?

One of Cartier Bressons Leica’s..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HCB's Leica I. Better view here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Attached permanently with screws = built-in Sorry!

= 'screwed on' ;)

Perhaps the X2 could have one of these? It looks like the size of the small 28/35 Voigtlander finder some folks are using on the X1 and it would leave the hot shoe free.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S

• 3 weeks later...

I would prefer the X2 to keep the small size of the X1 so no FX sensor. If the lens could be redesigned to get f/2.8 it would be nice, but even f/2.8 is OK. I would like to see better outer finish - I would not mind if the camera would become 50 - 100 g heavier. The dials should give a less plastic feeling and turn less easily. Nice OLED display with higher rate (I know that this is sensor defined). 12 Mpix is just fine - I do not need more. The lens should be threaded and could focus a little bit closer. Faster AF of course and faster response (write times & processing).

Maybe separate hot-shoe for EVF or OVF which would display some information.

If Leica would ally with Sigma for the X2 (or the X3 ;) ) I would like to see FOveon sensor inside - once they get improved a bit more.

Having just read all the posts here, I reckon that Leica would be best advised to purchase a license to brand the X100, just as they do with the Panaleicas, obviously with their own Leica bits and pieces to justify a £2K price tag!:D

Having just read all the posts here, I reckon that Leica would be best advised to purchase a license to brand the X100, just as they do with the Panaleicas, obviously with their own Leica bits and pieces to justify a £2K price tag!:D

Hmm, good idea. Leica did this with Panasonic. Why not Fuji? I can see this now; a re-wrapped Fuji X200 could most feasibly be the new Lecia X2 also.