Leica X2: Rumors and Wishlist

davidhunternyc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23rpfr5.jpg

This thread is all about the, yet to be announced or named, Leica X2. What will come after the Leica X1? It is anybody's guess, at this point, but it doesn't prevent any of us from wishing and speculating what we hope Leica will manufacture as a successor to the X1. Now that the Fuji X100 is here, maybe our desires for the next Leica X series is even more focused than before. So please, if you know of any rumors or if you just wish to express your desires of what the next X series camera should include, please do so here.

Edited by andybarton
At OP's request

If Leica made a proper digital CM, with a lens as good as the CM, and with an optical viewfinder better than the CM (because that was pretty ropey), autofocus at least as good as a CM and with a sensor from an X1, I would buy one tomorrow.

I won't buy an X1 tomorrow. Or any tomorrow.

I suspect that there are thousands like me who want a proper, compact, quality digital camera that doesn't require a squint and extended arms to use, nor an add-on viewfinder.

Cash waiting.

• Like 12

nice looking camera!

i second the comments made above, especially for a bright, built-in viewfinder, while maintaining the camera's overall compact size. :D

my assumption is that Leica will use a permanent lens arrangement for the X2 (no interchangeable lens) - presumably to preserve distance between X series and M series.

If so, then is there some way to make this permanent lens a short zoom, where elements are zoomed internally (not another telescoping lens)? Think D2 lens, but smaller.

Would such a lens be too large for a moderately compact-sized camera (no bigger than Fuji X100)? :confused:

Perhaps this poses too big a huge design hurdle and is not feasible, but I would hope for this until someone convinces me it is not possible. ;)

It was OK. I have tried an X1 for a lunchtime and it's Usain Boult compared to that.

It obviously had only one focus point to worry about not 11, or 54 or whatever SLRs have these days, but it was perfectly useable. And easily manually over-rideable.

The CM was almost the perfect little camera - and would have been had the viewfinder been bigger.

• Like 1

I want to keep the size of the X1 so an OVF is a no go for me, just an X1 with an high res oled Display, a decent macro mode,a stiff 2.0 lens with manual focus and aperture rings. This should allow a decent manual focus with the high res display and a high enough amount of magnification similar to the Canon 450D. The X100 is too big for a compact camera.

It has all been said and therefore I repeat myself as well.

Keep size and weight as is. Improve AF speed. Include higher res lcd screen. Make lens barrel with MF ring and distance scale. Introduce Pop up VF with basic info in lieu of pop up flash.

Nice to haves would be a faster lens and extended iso range.

i suspect that leica is working on the successor camera. once you get on that merry-go-round supplying the customer base that makes up most of who buys an x-1 the firm is forever required to improve every couple of years or so, lest it lose market share to the point irrelevance once a competitor puts out the next hot product followed by the next one. at the lower end of the market, the firm can continue to piggy-back on panasonic. at the upper end, the m9 is unique enough and without competitors in a digital rangefinder that the shelf life is longer -- but certainly nor forever as technology allows the mid-range to catch up over time.

all the ideas posted are pretty good. personally i have no nostalgia for a 1960s style chrome/steel rangefinder camera. i think the styling of the x-1 is just fine, it just needs to be better and i would hope that by year's end we will have a new version not just new software. otherwise, the x-1 will just be another foray into a product line that the market will force the firm to abandon.

• Like 2

It was OK. I have tried an X1 for a lunchtime and it's Usain Boult compared to that.

It obviously had only one focus point to worry about not 11, or 54 or whatever SLRs have these days, but it was perfectly useable. And easily manually over-rideable.

The CM was almost the perfect little camera - and would have been had the viewfinder been bigger.

i don't know how many different ways I can say this....if you use the single focus point for the X1- the X1 has a very fast auto focus as well......

F2 lens at least, non extendeding, faster af, replace flash with popup vf. Maybe last gen ff.

I'd love to see interchangeable, but that's an m9 :)

Maybe offer two focal ranges. 28/35 and 50

@lazurus not really, face detect/11point is way faster, but you don't get to choose on what you focus.

Edited by h00ligan

I have had my X1 for a couple of months and am very happy with its performance and construction - but if I was to improve the design I'd want a rigid lens and no pop up flash.

The pop-up flash arrangement appears and feels a bit tacky and I have noted comments on the forum that some people are having problems with the flash remaining down.

The X1 could either have been made cheaper (or sold at the same price - but to a higher quality) if the flash had been an optional hot shoe extra and collapsible lens had not been fitted.

That introduces complications and is an unecessary moving part which could go wrong.

John