Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, John Z. Goriup said:

It appears four of you gentlemen ( Ronald, a.j.z., Wilson, and Philip ) have identified this thing by indirectly but unambiguosly describing the puzzle car correctly, however I think Philip should get this one since he actually spelled out what it is............. Ferrari 288 GTO Evoluzione.

Brutal, with a 'controversial' front design  derived from extensive wind-tunnel testing to correct the 288 GTO's road version tendency to lift, it must be remembered that this car eveloved into one of Ferrari's greatest designs, the F-40 in an astonishingly short 13 months...

Good Luck, Philip

Thank you, John, although I don't really feel that I deserve any credit whatsoever!

Perhaps once lockdown's easing allows members considerably more freedom to wander I might not be allowed the same chances! I certainly hope so for all our sakes.

The photographs you have posted of the mystery car are far kinder in displaying its overall looks than the sparse few I had seen when 'detecting' so I withdraw some of the more scathing remarks I posted earlier. I seem to think the frontal treatment - especially in profile - is fairly reminiscent of the 512 BB LM cars of the late '70s / early '80s.

I do like the Mangusta in the background of the first photo!

OK; here's your next snap!

Marque and Model will suffice;

Philip.

• Replies 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stuny

• wlaidlaw

• Rona!d

• a.j.z

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wlaidlaw

Not a 450, 150, 200 or 300 - rarer than those, with only two original factory cars made, although some have been cobbled together later. Given that you can't measure the engine size from my photo and John is going away I will disclose that it is a 250S. This was the first car to use the new (or at least much revised) four cylinder engine planned for the forthcoming T series birdcage models. The idea was to produce a car with the straight line performance of the 300S but with the lighter and torq

John Z. Goriup

I was going to wait a while, but it seems more than one have taken the time to pursue the story behind this fascinating and remarkable automobile & are aware of the identity of this thing so I think it's time to reveal all. It's the 1935 Hoffman 8X..............and as indicated, it's the only one ever made. The curious thing about this car is that even though it wasn't officially commissioned by one of the big manufacturers there seems to have been enough money available to develop a on

adan

That is correct. Ronald's turn. A 1929 Coleman 5-ton 4WD, from a design created and built by Harleigh Holmes (1880-1963), based on a 4WD system he thought up while working as an irrigation engineer in the Colorado mountains near Aspen. Holmes originally expected to sell his trucks to mountain mines and lumber camps. Photographed in 2009, the first month I had an M9, in Vermont (right next door to New Hampshire) at an antique farm-equipment and auto rally. The funny thing is that w

Posted Images

vor 56 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

Why only one turbo boost dump pipe on the 288 EVO? 

Wilson

The two cars I remember only have one (combined) pipe going out. It comes from the center and makes a right turn above the gearbox. Where you would expect a second pipe there is an additional cooler in the way. And we all know even standard 288 GTOs needed a lot of cooling. They got pretty hot, 70 cars burnt down (most rebuilt). Ferrari replaced the fuel system without significant improvements.

29 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

The two cars I remember only have one (combined) pipe going out. It comes from the center and makes a right turn above the gearbox. Where you would expect a second pipe there is an additional cooler in the way. And we all know 288 GTO needed a lot of cooling. They got pretty hot, 70 cars burnt down (most rebuilt). Ferrari replaced the fuel system without significant improvements.

Ronald, usually turbo dump pipes (I said boost but really it is for diverted exhaust gasses that have bypassed the exhaust turbine wheel through the waste gate) run parallel to the exhaust pipe and are often fastened to it as a figure 8 section pipe, with a large main pipe and a smaller secondary for the dump gas, where back pressure is not so important. I presume the Evo was still twin turbo or did they change to a single turbo on that car?

Wilson

18 minutes ago, NigelG said:

*cough*  Pantera...😀

Ah! Well done, Nigel! I was wondering who would win the little test I had set for you all......[blush]......

"Note to Self; Before Typing One Must First Ensure Brain is Engaged."

Philip.

55 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Ginetta G15

(But if right I don't have another one to post).

That was quick! I did wonder if I had been a little too generous with the crop....:lol:....

Front and rear of the kitten-kaboodle for the sake of form;

Lovely little thing she was, too. Judging by the 'plumbing' seen in the second snap the owner has some fun with her!

As Graham has nothing to hand does one of the other three who recognised the 288 EVO want to step in?

Philip.

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Why only one turbo boost dump pipe on the 288 EVO? 

Wilson

This goes back to the 126C forced-intake Ferrari F-1 cars. Turbo-motor designer Nicola Materazzi tried to save every gram of weight due to the realtively heavy twin-turbo installation and combined the dump pipes into a single pipe exiting the pop-off valve.  The three pipe arrangment carried over to the 288 EVO - the almost identical F-40 exhaust arrangement shown here.

JZG

9 minutes ago, pippy said:

That was quick! I did wonder if I had been a little too generous with the crop....:lol:....

Lovely little thing she was, too. Judging by the 'plumbing' seen in the second snap the owner has some fun with her!

Philip.

See one, in that colour, at most Prescott hill climb meets.  Roll cage spotted, but I don't think it is the same car.  Imp power :)

2 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

See one, in that colour, at most Prescott hill climb meets.  Roll cage spotted, but I don't think it is the same car.  Imp power :)

It would be interesting to know!

The car was snapped at one of the 'Motorsport at the Palace' sprint weekends, organised by the 7Oaks and District Motor Club, at Crystal Palace Park. I'll have a look in the programme to see if it was participating but it might just have been as part of the Static Display. I didn't see it race on the day I was there but sometimes cars are enered for just one of the two race days so one never knows...

Philip.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb John Z. Goriup:

This goes back to the 126C forced-intake Ferrari F-1 cars. Turbo-motor designer Nicola Materazzi tried to save every gram of weight due to the realtively heavy twin-turbo installation and combined the dump pipes into a single pipe exiting the pop-off valve.  The three pipe arrangment carried over to the 288 EVO - the almost identical F-40 exhaust arrangement shown here.

Saving weight plus space was my assumption too for the combined pipe. The turbos look a bit different on the F-40 but the same principal.

The two Setrab coolers at the F40 went away from the gearbox and exhaust while the cooler at the 288 GTO evo was on the left side above the gearbox. The F40 layout looks much cleaner under the hood.

We had two groundwork people putting in a new pond in our garden during the last week. I was taking some photos with my IIIa, MOOLY, 35/2.8 Summaron and SBLOO. One of the workers looked at me and said: "What age of Leica is that?" - not quite what I expected to hear. He was fascinated to learn it was 84 years old and still working perfectly. He then went on to say that there were two Rolleiflex cameras, which had belonged to his father, sitting in his mother's attic. As he is now working on my daughter's patio, he is going to fetch the two Rollei's and drop them in to me next week to have a look at and see if they are usable. He thinks they may still have film in them. Sadly my big Rondinax 120 tank is down in France, so if there are films in them, they will have to be taken to the local photo shop for processing. It will be interesting to see what they are. My betting is on a pair of 3.5 Xenotar E's or F's but I might be surprised and find a Wide and a Tele but I doubt it. 

Does anyone know if Brian Mickelboro is still servicing Rollei cameras in the UK, as he did good work and was a lot better value than Newton Ellis?

My local repairman, Kelvin at Protech, has now withdrawn from servicing film cameras and lenses. My M4-P rangefinder vertical alignment, unsticking the diaphragm on my Rolleinar QBM 28-105mm zoom lens (for the Rolleiflex 3003) and replacing the chewed up front group retaining grub screws on my 28 ASPH Summicron-M, are the last three jobs he will be doing. After that it will be work on DSLR's only. I have the Leica tool to adjust the vertical alignment on the M4-P but something is not right, as I cannot get the eccentric pin on the tool to engage with the alignment fork. The M4-P fell to the ground 18 months ago at a neighbour's daughter's wedding, when a drunken youth knocked our table over, luckily without damaging my 35 ASPH Chrome Summilux but the vertical alignment was jarred a fraction out of true and just enough to annoy me. 

Wilson

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

We had two groundwork people putting in a new pond in our garden during the last week. I was taking some photos with my IIIa, MOOLY, 35/2.8 Summaron and SBLOO. One of the workers looked at me and said: "What age of Leica is that?" -

vor 8 Stunden schrieb John Z. Goriup:

At first glance that looks like a Lotus Exige................but then there's that screw hole in the roof panel, and I am not so sure.

JZG

Yes, a modified Exige. I had hoped that the modifications would be enough to cause a little head scratching but should have known better 😉