Advertisement (gone after registration)

Clever dicks and usual suspects please abstain.... this old friend and, arguably, piece of modern sculpture was resting at LM prior to doing what it was conceived to do. Designed in England, funded by America, built in England, improved by America, raced in France.....

Enjoyed by many................

• Replies 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wlaidlaw

• Rona!d

• stuny

• a.j.z

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to wait a while, but it seems more than one have taken the time to pursue the story behind this fascinating and remarkable automobile & are aware of the identity of this thing so I think it's time to reveal all. It's the 1935 Hoffman 8X..............and as indicated, it's the only one ever made. The curious thing about this car is that even though it wasn't officially commissioned by one of the big manufacturers there seems to have been enough money available to develop a on

Not a 450, 150, 200 or 300 - rarer than those, with only two original factory cars made, although some have been cobbled together later. Given that you can't measure the engine size from my photo and John is going away I will disclose that it is a 250S. This was the first car to use the new (or at least much revised) four cylinder engine planned for the forthcoming T series birdcage models. The idea was to produce a car with the straight line performance of the 300S but with the lighter and torq

Thanks, Ronald. I found the 906 to be a delightful car, one you didn't so much drive, but rather would "think" around curves, so precise and light and predictable is the handling. It's pointless to try to debate whether it was wise to drive it on the street, since it was simply not made for 'grocery getting' and it's foolish to complain that it's  not suitable for that function, but take it on a brief, vigorous run on a beautiful Saturday morning and it'll change forever your outlook of what a s

Posted Images

Too easy!

It's the yellow one in the painting, quite a history.

The Gurney bulge was just a trick of the light on this one (parked under striped awning), it did, of course have a Gurney flap though!

All are correct, but it was not Gurney's car. I think it was a privateer who added the front spoilers to an original GT40; it is not the Mark II version, lacking the scoops on the top of the engine cover. Belgian racing yellow may be a clue, but that is probably a red herring in this case.

Regards

John W

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All are correct, but it was not Gurney's car. I think it was a privateer who added the front spoilers to an original GT40; it is not the Mark II version, lacking the scoops on the top of the engine cover. Belgian racing yellow may be a clue, but that is probably a red herring in this case.

Regards

John W

You mean we've been conned into thinking that this was something wot it isn't?! How unusual for that to happen in the olde car worlde.

:D:D

I've just bagged a copy of Ronnie Spain's GT40 bible but I've not had time to read it yet. As you can tell.

OK, this one is less obvious unless, like me, you parked next to it this evening at the VSCC pub meeting.

Taken with the Digilux 2 in 2006, when I was still learning what digi-cams could/could not do.

btw, how about making this thread a long-runner? If you guess the car, you have to post the next subject?

Guest suilvenman

btw, how about making this thread a long-runner? If you guess the car, you have to post the next subject?

Great idea, Pete - I was hoping that somebody would suggest this.

That radiator construction/shape is proving a challenge to identify and the thermometer mascot doesn't really help much. Classy two-tone paintwork. I'll suggest 1930s, British, roadster/coupé to start off with?

Cheers, Ken.