Traveling by car in winter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL2, 35 mmm, crop.

Cold weather in Germany on highway. Criticism gladly, (especially what and how to do it better/ differently).

Jochen

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

I like the near monochrome of #2 as well as the angle, lending it some dynamic quality.  I feel that #1 is a bit too static, being straight on like an architect's elevation drawing.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Aram Langhans:

Both are nice, but i vote for number 2, also.  #1 is nice and symmetrical and very sharp, but #2 has that little angle and I like the contrast of the bright red with the pastel look of the background.  It really makes it pop for me.

Thanks

Jochen

Both are nice compositions. I think you are very aware of shapes and geometry. Also the juxtaposition of natural and manmade elements. Being aware of your surroundings and sharpening your observational skills is good and always makes a difference. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb NZDavid:

Both are nice compositions. I think you are very aware of shapes and geometry. Also the juxtaposition of natural and manmade elements. Being aware of your surroundings and sharpening your observational skills is good and always makes a difference. 

Thanks for Your kind comment 😉

Your website doesn't work?

Jochen

7 hours ago, spassig123 said:

Thanks for Your kind comment 😉

Your website doesn't work?

Jochen

Thanks Jochen, I discontinued my website as it needed a big update and not sure if it would be worth it. I must update my profile.

• 2 weeks later...
Jochen, your website includes wonderful photography! Specifically, I saw that a lot of your BW images included cloudy skies. In my own BW photography my favorites (nearly) always feature cloudy overcast skies. Like you, I am a Capture One user. However, a few years ago I began using Silver Efex Pro, and that has been a game changer for my cloudy-day BW images. The structure and intensity sliders in conjunction with selective adjustment points have dramatically improved many of my BW images. And, I like that I can now "round-trip" an image from Capture One to Silver Efex Pro and back again. Very handy. Certainly, adjustments can sometimes be taken too far (guilty as charged), but overall, Silver Efex Pro has become an integral part of my BW workflow.  

Edited by JRWhite
Spelling

@JRWhite

Thank you for your friendly and positive feedback. I also have the Nik filters on my computer. So far, however, I have not used them more intensively.Try to do everything in CaptureOne for the time being.

Do you have a website of your pictures to see something?

Jochen

Edited by spassig123

Both photos are composed and executed well, but I’d give a slight nod to the second one as the less severe crop gives the subject room to breathe more. If the tree was a bit further to the right it might emphasize the effect you want for in composition, which is nice. The b/w crop feels too tight and I can see dodge/burn artifacts behind the building in the sky. 

Nice balanced slices of life. 

vor 11 Minuten schrieb theseahawk:

Both photos are composed and executed well, but I’d give a slight nod to the second one as the less severe crop gives the subject room to breathe more. If the tree was a bit further to the right it might emphasize the effect you want for in composition, which is nice. The b/w crop feels too tight and I can see dodge/burn artifacts behind the building in the sky. 

Nice balanced slices of life. 

@theseahawk

Thanks for helpful feedback.

The second is a crop and left and right are disturbing objects.

I also couldn't choose the recording position any other way. Next time I'll think of your suggestion 😉

Jochen

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...