Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

think it's supposed to be a LWB but is is a bit between two stools.

It's technically a "DNA California" and was made only briefly (2 years maybe?) - possibly due to the involvement of M'learned friends...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NigelG
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

...Something looked too modern to me right from the start 😉

Same here in that I thought it looked like it was made using Glass-fibre and AFAIK we Brits were more keen than most folks in that regard.

Doesn't look too bad from that angle but, if it was my car, I'd take the branding off!

Philip.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The rear lights are a bit modified if they are MGB, the lower thick section is missing (even some custom bodied Rolls had them). They appear as a mix of MGB and the midterm versions of the VW type 3.

As the basic 2.8ltr. Z3 drives nicely and is very reliable and can be serviced everywhere I wouldn‘t even mind having a well detailed repro like this in the stable. I‘d put the Ferrari logos away and fit a Nardi steering wheel with Nardi logo only. There were some nicely detailed DNAs and lots of HORROR cars on the market. There are even very nice Coupes.

It all depends on the money the kitcar buyer had.

In Japan they even made horribly looking MB 190/300 SLs from Z3s and even Miatas.

Today I‘m happy having kept my early Z3 completely original except some very subtle design modifications. At the moment it‘s getting a hard nut to find certain special works wheels as NOS. 16“ versions of Styling 32 (Alpina like Lemmerz) were misused as winter alloys on E36 Tourings and the 17“ versions are rare finds. Spent hours on the phone to Bavaria and writing emails. Just 10 years ago I had free choice for a bargain (when all the idiots raped their cars with too big 18").

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb NigelG:

I thought all MGB lights incorporate a reflector?

Thats what I think too. But maybe there are some small numbers made without, maybe homemade or for small makers? Who knows. Maybe a call at DNA might help to enlighten this issue.

• Like 1

Only an interior

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

...I just found it on Youtube...

You too?

:lol:

I liked the way the window-winder operated the electric windows; neat trick. Pity it didn't sound like a V12 Ferrari but, then again, I suppose nothing else does? Looks like a pretty decent replica and, as Ronald mentioned, with the BMW underpinnings it's probably a very capable performer in its own way.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Sorry for the delay. Here the next one with a generous crop of the riddle bathtub.

• Like 1

The only photos I have of this car show a partly dismantled condition, so here a link to wiki which shows the ex-Hans Kühnis car. And "906" wasn´t the name Porsche´s marketing dep. called it: Carrera 6.

My dad told me that some of his more frightening jobs in the 1960s were highspeed tests in works 906 at night. Glad nothing happened and he´s in his 80s now, even vaccinated 😉

Ex-owner/race driver Dr. Hans Kühnis signed his old car and wished the new owner good luck with the car.

Porsche even claimed the 906 was street legal. They must have had very understanding cops in Stuttgart. I believe it was the first car to have an engine with a significant proportion of the moving parts made from titanium. The 901T engine was also used in the 910, a development of the 906, and 911RT models. It was also fitted by owners into the 904/6 cars. There was a very sad looking 910/8 Bergspyder sitting in the Gmund museum, which a friend (my late rally co-driver for many years) was trying to buy for years but apparently the ownership was very fuzzy or so the museum claimed. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

If you look at the Goodwood photos in the link you can see that the 906 is road registered on UK plates and has apparently been pressed into service in France for grocery shopping...

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/historic/2018/5/this-porsche-906-is-a-60s-racer-turned-grocery-getter/

Edited by NigelG
Corrected model
  • Like 3