Digilux 2 69mm filter - do you have a filter on your D2?

redoutback

• 3 years later...

I also ended up buying a UV filter for my newly acquired Digilux 2; primarily for protection purposes.

I know that Leica has an original filter for the Digilux 2, but I also read in this thread that B+W did filters in this odd 69mm diameter as well. I've previously had good experience with B+W's filters (the MRC versions), so I googled around a bit to see if I could come across one of these. I actually found a listing of a 69mm B+W MRC filter in a really strange Belgian webbshop. :o  

Well, the filter arrived a few days ago. It came in a very old B+W box (vintage!), so it's definitely not the MRC version. Nevertheless, It did come with some documentation and a B+W filter pouch. :)

The thing is that, unlike all other B+W filters I own (and have seen), there are no markings on the filter that indicate that it's from B+W. The only markings are "69E 010 1x" (se picture). So it could be a "no name" filter in B+W packaging.

Anyhow, the filter is resolution-wise very good as far as I can see. Even looking through it with binoculars (which usually gives away bad glass) still renders a great image. The anti-reflective coating is however not the best. The second picture shows another vintage B+W filter (red), this "odd" UV filter, as well as a modern Hoya UV filter of "decent" quality.

Interesting to note is that this UV filter does not have enough clearance for the lens of the Digilux 2. When tightened, the filter collides with the lens when there is about ½ mm of the thread remaining (easily fixed with an o-ring). 

I guess this filter is "OK", but I now ordered a proper Leica UV filter as well. I'll post a comparison shot of this as well, as soon as it arrives.  ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!