Claim your filters from Germany

42 minutes ago, mark harverson said:

Has anyone recently managed to claim their 2 free filters for the m8?

Have you tried emailing info@leica-camera.com ? I've found them helpful with queries about other things, though of course after such a long time they might have run out of stock.

2 hours ago, mark harverson said:

Has anyone recently managed to claim their 2 free filters for the m8?

There have been conflicting answrers to that question for over a decade so the only thing to do is wait to see what Leica say to you.

One forum member did write hereabouts that he had contacted Leica in Feb. 2021 with the serial number of his M8 and they were sending him a pair of filters gratis. Conversely the 'La Vida Leica' website wrote that the free-filter scheme had been discontinued and I believe that this comment was made way back when the M9 was the 'current' offering......

Best of luck with the response you receive.

Philip.

I would go for Marumi - a Japanese brand who was rumoured to be the supplier of some of the 'Leica' UV/IR filters.  I have some, they were very reasonably priced (from memory) and performed better imho than the B&H equivalents.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

Last year for M8. Successful and free. They asked for diameters and address.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

58 minutes ago, mark harverson said:

Yup I had my reply from the same lady

Mark - what exactly is your need? Do you want to see what difference it makes (I think black fabric is acid test)?

I am near you, and happy to send you a 46mm B+W to try. Notwithstanding Pete's advice B+W are ok. A couple of years back Robert White had the full range/sizes of B+W, but they have dropped the brand.

6 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Notwithstanding Pete's advice B+W are ok.

I didn't mean that B&H UV/IR filters were in any way poor, just that I felt that Marumi was better. 🙂 

IIRC Marumi UV/IR filters are dichroic filters whereas B&H UV/IR filters are 'hot mirror' filters and I prefer the output of dichroic filters because they appear to me to produce truer colours by blocking the infrared wavelengths more effectively with steeper cut-off slopes.  Hot mirror filters can allow infrared wavelengths to 'leach' in if the cut-off slope isn't steep enough.

Pete.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, farnz said:

I didn't mean that B&H UV/IR filters were in any way poor, just that I felt that Marumi was better. 🙂 

IIRC Marumi UV/IR filters are dichroic filters whereas B&H UV/IR filters are 'hot mirror' filters and I prefer the output of dichroic filters because they appear to me to produce truer colours by blocking the infrared wavelengths more effectively with steeper cut-off slopes.  Hot mirror filters can allow infrared wavelengths to 'leach' in if the cut-off slope isn't steep enough.

Pete.

Apart from some minor differences in color rendering, the B+W filters have thicker rims compared to native Leica filters. Some caps and hoods can mounted together with the Leica filter and not with the B+W filter. I do not know if Marumi filters have similar issues.

22 hours ago, pedaes said:

Pete - you never fail to amaze me with your photographic knowledge, and I mean that sincerely!

Shucks (blushing profusely) ya shaw do say thuh nicest things, Keith! :D

(I'm afraid it's the Engineering instinct I have from 50 years of professionally playing technically with fibre optics.  Still occasionally get things wrong though! :lol:)

Pete.

• Like 1