Forecast: Will You Trade Your M9, M9P or M9M in 2023?

DennisPT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2022 will be in the past in less than 24 hours, just out of curiosity, do you think you will / may trade your M9 series camera for another camera body in 2023? 

Never say never but I probably won't. The optical framelines is a big reason for me to stay. Also I am so use to the work flow and 'limitations' of the M9 series that I don't feel like 'upgrading'. The thing I will seriously consider upgrading is the software; LR6 won't be compatible with my new macbook air and I am leaning towards Capture1 but this should not be discussed here. 

What about you? Will be great to hear your thoughts. Happy New Year to all of you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DennisPT said:

2022 will be in the past in less than 24 hours, just out of curiosity, do you think you will / may trade your M9 series camera for another camera body in 2023? 

Never say never but I probably won't. The optical framelines is a big reason for me to stay. Also I am so use to the work flow and 'limitations' of the M9 series that I don't feel like 'upgrading'. The thing I will seriously consider upgrading is the software; LR6 won't be compatible with my new macbook air and I am leaning towards Capture1 but this should not be discussed here. 

What about you? Will be great to hear your thoughts. Happy New Year to all of you! 

Mine are keepers, no thoughts to change them but like you I'm on LR6 and will need to consider what I do when my computer needs replacing. BTW the big thing that drew me to the M9 over others was the optical framelines but since I have found affinity with the older tech of the M9 and am content with them for what I use them for.

• Like 1

No.

My M Monochrom can do everything I require from it and I'm also very fortunate to own one in Silver-Chrome finish which isn't an option with any other Monochrom. Nor, FWIW, will my M-D Typ-262 be going anywhere either. As a pairing they are perfect for my needs.

Philip.

• Like 1

No.

since getting the m9 I’ve sold all the fujis and also bought (and sold) other newer Leica Ms.

I’ve had GAS without funds for many many things since getting the M9 and I’ve never once considered selling the m9 to fund something different.

It’s a little hard to pin down what I love about it… a lot of it is no doubt sentimental - first Leica, used to shoot many pics from trips to places I’ve never been back too and shots of my daughter growing up

But away from that I just love the vaguely lottery like feeling of how the images may look, sometimes the M9 produces quite a soft (dare I say filmic? Ok no then) tender toned photo and other times the colours just seem to drip off the screen and I really love waiting to see which I’m going to get.

• Like 5

Well, not in 2023, ‘cause I recently traded my M9 towards the purchase of L lenses for my SL2. Will I miss it? Perhaps, but I kept my M-P(240) and all my M lenses.  I also let go of my film bodies, sad but they were just gathering dust and will better serve younger photographers (I was born in 1948, so…). The M9 held no ‘magic’, but it is a most excellent photographic tool, even with just 18 mpx I made many 20 by 30 inches prints from its files, mostly in black and white. As for colour, it provided excellent files to process in LR. 

• Like 1

Maybe.

I have a lovely black M9-P which I bought used when the M240 was announced in 2012. It has 45k exposures (mostly mine), and a replaced sensor, the batteries are nearly knackered, but apart from that it continues to give good service. My other camera is an M2 which I shoot from time to time, but the M9-P is my only digital camera. 

I love the pictures I get from the M9-P at the lower ISO ranges in good light, but in lower light situations I know the camera is struggling. A lot of what I am photographing at the moment is my young son and his friends, and at this time of year in the UK that can mean a lot of lower light shooting, pushing the ISO to 1600. I do get pictures which I can use, particularly as I convert most of these to black and white, but I feel sure that a more modern sensor would produce much cleaner files at 1600 and several stops higher too.

I'm not in the position to buy a new M11, but am considering some sort of upgrade. I could trade in the M9-P against maybe and M10-P or R at a push. Or keep the M9-P and get a Monochrom. The M246 seems to be readily available - I was never particularly attracted to the 240 generation of cameras and turned down the opportunity to upgrade instead of having the sensor on the M9-P replaced, but a second body M246 could be interesting. The M9M seems to be about the same price but scarcer and I don't feel that it offers me a big enough jump in high ISO performance. The M10 Mono - ahhh - that looks lovely - the thinner body, closer to the M2, the ISO dial, improved viewfinder, things I would really appreciate... But the price - I probably shouldn't. 

So realistically I'm pondering giving up the M9-P for an M10-P, or adding an M246. I was leaning towards the former, but then saw this thread and am now undecided again! 

• Like 3

I have a Leica M-E, the M9 variant bought new in 2013. It has had two sensor replacements both done under warranty. The first was in 2015 (cracked sensor) and the second for the dreaded delimitation in 2018 late in my warranty period. It works perfectly, still looks brand new so see no need to upgrade. My camera buying experiences over the last few years have all been film related, a Nikon F3, Nikonos 1V and a S3 Millennium with the 50/1.4 (except for a small Olympus TG6 which is used only for hiking.)

The 18MP sensor doesn't give me too much room to crop so I need to pay attention to framing.

The 'limited' dynamic range makes me pay attention to exposure. 

The highest ISO I will use is 800 so I need to pay attention to slower shutter speeds.

The 'slow' writing speed and 'limited' buffer makes me wait for the right moment to press the shutter release. 

Every coin has two sides but as an amateur and hobbyist, this is how I get the most fun out of my M9P.  I will not part with it this year. 

• Like 5

Of course not (for me). If I want better photography tool, I have not LCAG made cameras. Except Monochrome. But I still have M4-2 and bw film is still not expensive and I'm finding bw film still superior to Monochrome.

I like my M-E 220 as easy rangefinder experience. Paying thousands dollars more on the trade is not going to upgrade it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Of course not (for me). If I want better photography tool, I have not LCAG made cameras. Except Monochrome. But I still have M4-2 and bw film is still not expensive and I'm finding bw film still superior to Monochrome.

I like my M-E 220 as easy rangefinder experience. Paying thousands dollars more on the trade is not going to upgrade it.  

Sorry, what is LCAG?