Forecast: Will You Trade Your M9, M9P or M9M in 2023?

DennisPT

I am keeping my M9-P.
Once the user gets over usability and ISO limitations (it's not a Canon EOS 1-DX 111, Canon R3, Sony, or Leica M11), then one can see quite clearly that the photos that this camera produces is ABSOLUTELY a reason to keep this beautiful camera. My humble opinion. My M9-P is like an older athlete who has been at the game for years and years compared to a rookie player. Yes, that rookie player is stronger and faster, but I will choose the reliability over the "shine", any day. The color files that this camera produces, again in my opinion, are so special. I was not an active participant in the CMOS vs CCD sensor debate until very recently when I really started to accelerate my usage of my M9-P. Whatever Leica/Kodak did to this sensor is really special.

• Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb tappan:

I am keeping my M9-P.
Once the user gets over usability and ISO limitations (it's not a Canon EOS 1-DX 111, Canon R3, Sony, or Leica M11), then one can see quite clearly that the photos that this camera produces is ABSOLUTELY a reason to keep this beautiful camera. My humble opinion. My M9-P is like an older athlete who has been at the game for years and years compared to a rookie player. Yes, that rookie player is stronger and faster, but I will choose the reliability over the "shine", any day. The color files that this camera produces, again in my opinion, are so special. I was not an active participant in the CMOS vs CCD sensor debate until very recently when I really started to accelerate my usage of my M9-P. Whatever Leica/Kodak did to this sensor is really special.

I couldn't agree with you more, those colors will remain unmatched, I love my M9-P.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am keeping both my silver M9P and M9M both bought new and both with sensors replaced.  I did stray with the M240, M10, M10R, and M10M but they are gone.  Still have the M11 for something more modern as well as all my film Ms for film.  The first and only full frame CCD Leica rangefinders are keepers.  The upcoming M11M should also become a classic.  These 4 cameras should be all I need for digital.  

• Like 1

The words of Brian

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!

Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Man in crowd: I'm not...

Crowd: Shhh!

Man in this crowd: I bought an M10-R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After I bought the m10m, the m9m went up for sale. Didn’t sold it yet, as my asking price is fair yet high.

Normally, I take the Q with me as a daily carry, no bag, just around the shoulder and somewhere in the car. Careless one could say.

With the m10m I don’t do this, just a bit too expensive - to me - to be careless. However, with the m9m I don’t have this “problem” and as of today the q has competition: the m9m is a great camera to carry daily and I love its sound and output.

May be I should keep it indeed…

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of adding another digital Leica (not PanaLeica), but I'm just the one (and maybe only one) who is not accepting overpriced, no third party alternatives batteries. 

So, I might go Q, which is ideal on normally priced batteries, but most likely X2, plenty of third party batteries. 

To me Leica is about of pleasure to own, walking with, while getting acceptable results and not about repeated upgrades only to get increased megapixels, higher ISO count. 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 10:06 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

I was thinking of adding another digital Leica (not PanaLeica), but I'm just the one (and maybe only one) who is not accepting overpriced, no third party alternatives batteries. 

So, I might go Q, which is ideal on normally priced batteries, but most likely X2, plenty of third party batteries. 

To me Leica is about of pleasure to own, walking with, while getting acceptable results and not about repeated upgrades only to get increased megapixels, higher ISO count. 

The M9 series won’t disappoint in this regard.  There are third party batteries available, even now in 2023. 

My M9M has been with me for close to 11 years. It's like an old friend. New corrosion-proof sensor fitted in 2016. I couldn't sell it. Besides, it still takes great pictures. 

I just need a new battery. The two I currently have are old, and don't charge up to 100% anymore. I see Leica still sell new ones. I hope they continue to, for a long time to come.

• Like 3

I am keeping my M9-P for the foreseeable future. It’s been my camera for over ten years so I feel quite attached to it. I got a good deal on an M246 which I use when I might encounter lower light or specifically want black and white. The battery on the 246 is amazing as is the screen and buffer, but I prefer the handling of the M9 and now really appreciate how quickly is wakes from sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rtai said:

I don’t have an M9 so my M8 will have to do. 

Fair enough 👍🏻, will be perfect if you have the UVIR cut filters and 1/8000 shutter handled. 

All these ‘cult’ cameras have reasons that we love and hate. 

I still have my M9P and M9M despite enticed a few times by local M10Ps sales recently. 

18 hours ago, DennisPT said:

Fair enough 👍🏻, will be perfect if you have the UVIR cut filters and 1/8000 shutter handled. 

All these ‘cult’ cameras have reasons that we love and hate. 

I still have my M9P and M9M despite enticed a few times by local M10Ps sales recently. 

I am jealous of you M9 users! Really good condition M9 bodies with replacement sensors are hard to come by, but M8’s are common at less than half the price. I don’t mind the 1.3x crop but would love the higher pixel count! I have uv/ir filters to cover a set of focal lengths. 

• Like 1