Do You Have A Trouble Free M11 or M11M?

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Reminds me of the 1/8000s max shutter speed of the M8. Very few people were using that speed the camera had issues with IIRC. Leica did reduce it to 1/4000s then and nobody complained. Maybe they will do the same with the high speed burst mode of the M11, i have no idea.

On 2/27/2024 at 4:34 PM, fotografr said:

I've been following the threads here about freeze ups and corrupt files for quite some time. 

I'm interested in knowing if there are M11 and M11M users who have not had these problems. Please acknowledge in this thread if you have trouble free M11 and/or M11M cameras. Thanks! 

My M11 is trouble-free.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smogg said:

On a 3 hour walk I take on average 600-700 frames. Is this a lot?

Depends on how much you like to sit at a computer editing the shots. For me, that sounds like a lot.

On 4/24/2024 at 10:45 PM, fotografr said:

One of the photographers I was referring to did have a back up. It was a Hasselblad X2D, which he then switched to. Meanwhile, the art director, studio assistants and model sat there twiddling their thumbs while the Hassy was geared up. Kind of embarrassing.

When I was working, I always took two identical bodies on a shoot. In over 15 years of digital shooting I never had a single failure with either my Nikons or Canons, so no, all cameras do not burp, fart and fail. Your experience was quite different than mine and I used my systems heavily.

The thing about the M11 is that the failure rate seems to be so prevalent, even having a second body wouldn't make most pros comfortable. 

Prevalent,! Assumption? Well yes. Lots of posters here all excited but what is the real % Problem is we don’t know how many sold and so it hard to quantify the depth of the problem! it could be just a small percentage or it might not be. 

if you never had to power off or power pull any other brand I’d say your in the minority there , at least based on the forum whining of Nikon canon and Fuji owners 

I love the comment on most pros confident. A bold assumption since the extent of the problem  is unknown and it’s not like they fail they just go down for a few seconds. I am astonished a pro couldn’t cycle the power faster than switch to the blad!

i tire of all the folk quick to trash a wonderful camera frankly

Technology at the bleeding edge is far less reliable so maybe buy older stuff if it’s a concern. It one of those don’t rush to update the firmware things. Computers are no different. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Smogg said:

Do you think it's a lot?  That's what is important, I guess.

It would be a lot for me as I'd go crazy trying to cull the resulting images down to a reasonable set worth editing.  To compare, I've had my M11 for a bit more than 13 months and have used it to take about 925 frames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Do you think it's a lot?  That's what is important, I guess.

It would be a lot for me as I'd go crazy trying to cull the resulting images down to a reasonable set worth editing.  To compare, I've had my M11 for a bit more than 13 months and have used it to take about 925 frames

After selecting the keepers, which takes about half an hour in Lightroom, I have 2-3 shots left out of these 600-700, then I spend 1-2 minutes processing each of them. Total 40 minutes for the entire post-processing including selection

1 hour ago, Smogg said:

After selecting the keepers, which takes about half an hour in Lightroom, I have 2-3 shots left out of these 600-700, then I spend 1-2 minutes processing each of them. Total 40 minutes for the entire post-processing including selection

You could try switching off 'continuous shooting' ... ;)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Knorp said:

You could try switching off 'continuous shooting' ... ;)

I shoot footage where there can be many people at the same time, the phases of movement are important to me

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fotografr said:

Depends on how much you like to sit at a computer editing the shots. For me, that sounds like a lot.

That would a lot for me too. In three hours I would typically make 20 shots.

9 hours ago, kiwidad said:

Prevalent,! Assumption? Well yes. Lots of posters here all excited but what is the real % Problem is we don’t know how many sold and so it hard to quantify the depth of the problem! it could be just a small percentage or it might not be. 

if you never had to power off or power pull any other brand I’d say your in the minority there , at least based on the forum whining of Nikon canon and Fuji owners 

I love the comment on most pros confident. A bold assumption since the extent of the problem  is unknown... 

You accuse me of making bold assumptions, then go on to make your own that I'm in the minority as someone who never had problems with my digital Nikon's and Canons. If the sampling here is insufficient to draw conclusions, why is it any different on the forums for Nikon, Canon and Fuji? You can't have it both ways my friend.

I also had a lot of different cameras from different manufacturers. The M11 is the first camera to regularly freeze. At the same time, it cannot be replaced by anything, since the design, size, simplicity and functionality of this camera are closer than all other cameras to the ideal for me. Due to the problems with the M11, I've been using the X2D more often on walks, but even though the X2D has significantly better color, I really miss the features that are unique to the M11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dunno what experience you have with craft companies guys but i got less issues with the M11 than with M3 (tight lens mount), M4-2 (broken shutter), M8.2 (IR contamination, coffee stain) and digital CL (faulty diopter dial) so far. The Leica warranty has always worked well, as expected, so I find it hard to understand the lamentations of this forum. Strange to have to repeat it in a thread dedicated to trouble free M11s BTW...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lct said:

Dunno what experience you have with craft companies guys but i got less issues with the M11 than with M3 (tight lens mount), M4-2 (broken shutter), M8.2 (IR contamination, coffee stain) and digital CL (faulty diopter dial) so far. The Leica warranty has always worked well, as expected, so I find it hard to understand the lamentations of this forum. Strange to have to repeat it in a thread dedicated to trouble free M11s BTW...

I think the level of dissatisfaction right now might be tied to the problems with Leica Repair Service. If someone has the M11 too long to return it to the dealer for exchange or refund, their only option is to send it off for what is likely to be a 7 to 12 month service. That's not a good scenario.

I had three M8s that experienced what was being referred to as "sudden death." The cameras just bricked and nothing could bring them back. Each one went back to Wetzlar and was replaced immediately. I was working directly with Herr Stefen Daniel throughout that ordeal. We can't do that today with the M11. They simply are not readily available, to the best of my knowledge. Otherwise, there would be no complaints.

There are obviously people who have trouble free M11s, and I know from your previous comments that you're one of them. But I think it's unfair to criticize people who have faulty cameras now and are facing long repair or replacement times and who are expressing dissatisfaction about it.

Edited by fotografr

Am 26.4.2024 um 09:29 schrieb Balta:

On my side,

No freezes since I have the camera ~ 10 months, >300 Photos

M11 black #5681xyz

Fw: 2.02

Sd Card: SanDisk 128GB extreme pro 170MB/s, formated in camera

Lenses: Leicas, 6bit coded and non 6 bit coded

I missed to hit one zero. Yes, still not a lot of exposures with > 3000 with the M11. Still worth to share my experience, I thought, but ...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I think the level of dissatisfaction right now might be tied to the problems with Leica Repair Service. If someone has the M11 too long to return it to the dealer for exchange or refund, their only option is to send it off for what is likely to be a 7 to 12 month service. That's not a good scenario.

I had three M8s that experienced what was being referred to as "sudden death." The cameras just bricked and nothing could bring them back. Each one went back to Wetzlar and was replaced immediately. I was working directly with Herr Stefen Daniel throughout that ordeal. We can't do that today with the M11. They simply are not readily available, to the best of my knowledge. Otherwise, there would be no complaints.

There are obviously people who have trouble free M11s, and I know from your previous comments that you're one of them. But I think it's unfair to criticize people who have faulty cameras now and are facing long repair or replacement times and who are expressing dissatisfaction about it.

Yes all true and I do feel sympathy for the unlucky M11(-P/M) owners, but this thread was meant for the 'happy few' ... ;)

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 12:38 PM, Smogg said:

That's over 3 pictures every minute - for three hours... That's one picture every 20 seconds or so - for three hours... That's a lot. Whatever works for you I guess, but my suggestion is to actually enjoy the walk, as opposed to being glued to your viewfinder for three hours... 

• Like 4