Leica Q3 Firmware V 2.0.1 (merged)

Just did the update- via wifi in Leica fotos app on an Apple iPhone 13 Pro max. Took a hair over 5 min. Super easy and quick. My Q3 build date was 31OCT and using a PNY Elite PRO60 256GB card if that helps anyone. Start up time from switching on to snapping a pic literally took 2 seconds. Much improved! Shut down is still the same. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I  The only reason why it goes through Fotos is that the Q camera has no direct internet connectivity (yet?) and that smartphones have faster download speed. 

You mean like the M240 used to have before some blithering  idiot at Leica software division decided it would be a good idea to disable it. You used to be able to connect to the M240 via an IP address and download JPEG images direct to a laptop for websites/forums/etc. Now we have to go via a phone or tablet. It is as if the Soft-in-the head division thought that Leica owners were mostly teenagers, who can only communicate with other humans via a smart phone or tablet. 

Wilson

13 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

Best excuse I've seen to avoid modern technology 😂

It is a reference to the Flanders and Swann song: "High Fidelity" 

Wilson

Just did the update via SD card - Wifi connection to my iPhone (15) always requires fiddling, several attempts - try and error. This time I could not get it to work at all.

Actually this seems to be a general Leica problem. I have and had the same problem with all my bodies M11 M10 SL2 SL2S, also with previous iPhone models. I very much hope that they have used better hardware this time, and that the new firmware finally brings improvement. I am an optimist;-)

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb nsansomuk:

Nigel

Check the previous page(s) for a screenshot of the Fotos App. The Update will appear rigt there when you open the App. Might have to close it and open again, delete app from cache and force a re-connection to Leicas servers. No need for a computer connection. It’s right there in the app. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, KEL said:

Just did the update via SD card - Wifi connection to my iPhone (15) always requires fiddling, several attempts - try and error. This time I could not get it to work at all.

Actually this seems to be a general Leica problem. I have and had the same problem with all my bodies M11 M10 SL2 SL2S, also with previous iPhone models. I very much hope that they have used better hardware this time, and that the new firmware finally brings improvement. I am an optimist;-)

Really, a Leica problem ? The same problem with all of your bodies ? It doesn't ring a bell ?

Edited by Knorp
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, HeinzX said:

Even not implemented this time a panorama mode in the scene programs. That would be a useful program - esp. on travels and would make it possible to extend the 28 mm limit.

You could always use the stitch facility on Photoshop if you have that software. It works extremely well and intelligently, matching the meeting point of overlapping photos and adjusting exposures. I first used it 15 years ago to make a 16 foot long panorama, taken from the top of a friend's restored windmill in Sandhurst, Kent. He then mounted the photo going round the wall one of the smaller circular rooms near the top of the windmill. That was when I had an Epson A3 Printer with roll feed, which is long consigned to the scrap heap, after it started to spew out paper without stopping on a single photo and would ruin a whole £50 roll of paper in a few minutes. 

Wilson

That is correct, but it is only possible to do it afterwards, when the computer is available. This is not always the case, when travelling. And with the pano programm of the Q 2 it is possible to check the photo just after having taken it and to make a second one if it is not according to expectations.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2024 at 5:53 PM, anonymoose said:

Did they fix the blackout issue after each picture?

I am really wondering what the problem with the blackout is? 
why this is different to the Q2
I mean, I hope they didn’t think we would not notice 🤣 

I am very sensitive to this problem. 
can this be a processor issue? 

I hope that this gets finally solved somehow 

For me blackouts are a showstopper. 

• Like 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb nsansomuk:

Could someone be kind enough to start me off here please... I am generally tech-savvy but can't readily see how the Fotos app can be used to update the firmware. Do I need to make a physical attachment of the iPhone to the mac do get the download installed to Fotos or should it just be quietly updating itself in the background. I'm assuming the camera will be able to download and install the updated firmware from the app via Bluetooth? Again though, an idiots guide would be useful. Thanks in advance to anyone with useful tips here. 

Cheers, Nigel

1) Did you make sure that the Leica FOTOS app is well installed on your mobile phone?

2) Did you add your camera to the app?

3) Did you successfully connect the camera to the app or vice versa?

4) If 1 to 3 are all fine then turn camera off and close the app

5) Open the app on your phone and swipe down so that you see your camera. In case of an uodate available you see it now here.

6) If you want to update then just press on "update" and follow the instructions first on mobile phone then on camera.

5 hours ago, Pelu2010 said:

I am really wondering what the problem with the blackout is? 
why this is different to the Q2? 
I mean, I hope they didn’t think we would not notice 🤣 

I am very sensitive to this problem. 

I hope that this gets finally solved somehow 

For me blackouts are a showstopper. 

I'm perplexed by it as well. When my Q3 allocation came in, the blackout was jarring. I thought the camera had some sort of software glitch or hardware fault causing it.

It might be strange to say, but it completely ruined the photo taking experience for me. I'd love to upgrade to a Q3 for better low-light performance, but I can't until they fix the blackout.

5 hours ago, Pelu2010 said:

I suspect it’s a memory/processing issue. The files are larger and Leica may not have been able to maximize the processing speed of the memory which is likely an off-the-shelf item, rather than bespoke. The blackout is caused by the time to process the image before transferring it to memory.

I’m sure there are many more experienced and sophisticated than me on this, so maybe they should shout out.

50 minutes ago, anonymoose said:

I'm perplexed by it as well. When my Q3 allocation came in, the blackout was jarring. I thought the camera had some sort of software glitch or hardware fault causing it.

It might be strange to say, but it completely ruined the photo taking experience for me. I'd love to upgrade to a Q3 for better low-light performance, but I can't until they fix the blackout.

After v2.0.1, the blackout is as long as in Nikon Z7 II single shot mdoe. There is no blackout with 2fps shooting.

Did the update, now q3 takes one picture then freezes…. Tried different batteries, different cards, every time one picture, can focus and click the next picture…. Then nothing…. I will be calling customer support tomorrow???

My update by the SD card method worked smoothly and went quickly.
I have yet to look at the improvements in use.
As a side note and thank you Leica
For the very first time with any Update on various systems M.S L for me) THE FILE NUMBERING was NOT reset when I reinserted the memory card with existing images on it.
BRAVO. I am aware that not everyone cares about that however I find the continuous file number sequence convenient tracking total actuations for example.
I hope that, if possible, this is implemented across other systems at their next updates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1