Leica Q3 Firmware V 2.0.1 (merged)

23 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

You are describing how the camera should behave.

My impression after doing the update is a bit more complicated.

Prior to the upgrade I had a custom profile for 1, 2 and 3. The others were unused.

I exported the profiles to my SD card and did an upgrade of the OS from the Lecia site using my SD card.

After the upgrade I imported my profiles back from the SD.

When I selected a profile, it pulled in the profile, but didn't give me feed back that the profile was selected. Anything other than the default profile, just showed my the little head and shoulders icon, but without the profile number. Turning the camera off, and then back on, kept the profile setting but again I could see the head and shoulders only, without the number indicating which profile was actually selected.

I went back to the profile menu and resaved them. (selected profile 1 and then saved it as profile 1, 2 as 2 and 3 as 3). once I did that the camera would once again show me which profile was selected by displaying the head and shoulders icon with the profile number next to it.

The other thing it did was added a profile 4 and 5 which are identical to the default profile (since I had never made a 4 or 5). I just have to avoid those profiles until I get around to saving something useful in them.

In the end it seemed upgrade was a bit sloppy, at least for the custom profiles. Easy enough for me to go back and correct the problem, but I should not have had to figure a workaround.

Thanks for this. I thought I was going a little mad not seeing the profile number on the icon. resaved mine and all back to 'normal'. Bit annoying to be honest as I'm not sure I'd have figured out the workaround. 

Hi All,  I updated my firmware yesterday via the Fotos app (Andrioid version) and all went very smoothly.  The app prompted me to save my profiles.  After the update and shutting off and restarting the camera, it took awhile to find how to restore my profiles.  I was a little surprised that Fotos did not offer this feature after the update.  I searched the instruction manual finally found how to restore my settings in the User Profile submenu to import profiles.  All in all, a relatively easy process to update.

A possible benefit of using Fotos for updating the firmware versus the SD card is that file names and numbers continue following the sequence where I left off.  With my prior Q2 firmware updates via SD cards, I found the file names and numbers restarted from the beginning and duplicated earlier file numbers. Possibly this does not occur with the Q3, but this was a non-issue with this update via Fotos.

On 1/13/2024 at 4:32 PM, Aram Langhans said:

I have not updated yet, but this blackout thing is a mystery.  I have been thinking about it lately.  My Q2 had none, as you know.  Now the Q3 has the blackout.  But the other day I was shooting with my father-in-law's Nikon D-600 and, of course, being a DSLR it has a viewfinder blackout when shooting as all DSLR's do.  Then it hit me.  I shot a Nikon D750 for years then added the Q2.  I think if I had not shot with the Q2, but rather went from the D750 straight to the Q3 I might not have noticed that the Q3 has that blackout.  It is really nothing different from a DSLR.  But having shot the Q2 for 2 years, the Q3 blackout is indeed annoying.

There is not that much difference between 48MP and 60MP and the Q3 has a lot more horsepower processor than the Q2 so I would think this should be an easy fix, or never should have happened in the first place. I guess there is a big difference in EVF resolution, so maybe that is where the programming needs to be improved.

If anyone has shot the M11 in live view mode, you will see that the same blackout is there too. Now, the the q3 has a faster processor than the M11 so I suspect it has to do with the sensor readout or memory or something else. 

I’m happy with shooting it in 2 fps mode now. With no blackout in that mode, it’s closer to a rangefinder experience. 

Completed the update.  Went smoothly but did have to load and resave each of the profiles to make them work as planned.

Kind of misleading as far as startup time.  From a cold overnight start with the old firmware it was 4.8 sec and the new firmware was 4.6 sec.  Not a "Significant improvement of startup times" as stated.  In fact, within the margin of error with my hand stopwatch trying to turn camera on and operate it.

If the camera is on, it does fire up faster.  Old firmware about 1.2 seconds and new firmware hard to measure.  Best I could do is 0.5 sec.

If you are expecting an initial startup improvement, forget it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 15.1.2024 um 21:29 schrieb Trankster:

A possible benefit of using Fotos for updating the firmware versus the SD card is that file names and numbers continue following the sequence where I left off.  With my prior Q2 firmware updates via SD cards, I found the file names and numbers restarted from the beginning and duplicated earlier file numbers. Possibly this does not occur with the Q3, but this was a non-issue with this update via Fotos.

I updated via the SD-card method and for the first time in years with different Leica cameras the picture count hasn‘t been reset. 🤩

• Like 3