Leica SL firmware 4.1

AZN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/22/2024 at 9:35 AM, VallenAlexander said:

I updated my 601 to 4.1 and when I press the shutter button on my HG-SCL 4  grip nothing happens.. ( only focuses but shutter does not fire?)  Anyone experience this?

The buttons on my HG-SCL4 work fine with FW 4.1.

Posted (edited)

I have the SL with a pair of Sigma DG DN lenses.  Under firmware 4.0 they were working fine including various AF options including tracking.

Since the 4.1 update focus tracking no longer works with the Sigma lenses and the focus point does not reset to the center despite this being the option in the menu system.  Manual focus (AFs) is working but AFc now only working with shutter half-press and seems much more jumpy than before.

I don't have Leica AF lenses to compare with.

Anyone else noticed this?

Should I revert to firmware 4.0 (assuming this is possible), or report the issue to Leica?

Edited by John Robinson

Posted (edited)

Further to this, I started on a message to Leica about the problems but thought I should check again to make sure these are bugs not features.

What I find is that the location of various AF controls have been moved around in the menu system making it hard (at first) to work out how the settings interact.  In addition, the behaviour of the various controls have also changed.  Tracking can only be switched on and off with the switch on the lens in AF position but if the lens is switched to MF with tracking on, tracking stays on and is triggered by the focus button on the back of the camera (rubber button next to the display button, configurable I think) but the shutter half-press does not trigger tracking.  The effect of the AFs/AFc option (in a different place in the menu) varies depending on the state of the other controls.

I used to think that the Sony menus were confusing and appreciated the relative simplicity of the Leica menus but this update seems to have increased menu complexity alongside extra functionality.

So it's not a bug (for SL users with Sigma lenses) but a learning curve and of course Sigma lenses are not mentioned in the release notes for the firmware update.  (It is possible to use the lens updates from the Sigma website where available although the extra features seem to relate to the SL2 or SL2/S not the SL.)

Given the price and size differences between the Leica and Sigma AF lenses, this learning curve is worthwhile.

Edited by John Robinson