Is the M10-D future save?

leicameter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm very interested in a M10-D, because I was a M film shooter, before I switched to Canon Digital in 2008.

I bought my M4-P and my M6 about 35 Years ago. To get these cameras serviced  is no problem. 

Will an digital M last so long? What happens, especialy to an M10-D, when the leica photos app, may will not be supportet in future? Maybe in 15 Years?

I know, that my Canon cameras will be out of service by Canon in future, but they area at a third of the Leicas price and I don't need a app to use them.

Sorry for my bad english, but I prefer the better culture of discussion in the international forum.

Überlege lieber, Dir eine M 10-R zu kaufen. Sie ist für mich ein würdiger Nachfolger meiner M3 aus 1955 und der anderen Analogen. Trotz meiner S3 bevorzuge ich sie inzwischen, vor allem mit dem neuen APO-Summicron 35 mm (siehe meine eingestellten Fotos). Ich glaube auch nicht, dass Leica in 15 Jahren mit der M 10-R Service-Probleme haben wird.

• Like 1

Never have used a M10D but if the Leica Photos App is essential the risk is certainly higher than with any other M10.

If you don’t want to see the display on the back of the M10 you may want to use a half case to hide it … just my 2cents

Happy new year!

Cheers Tim

• Like 1

As a film M user for almost 60 years I also use Digital Ms as if they were film. very seldom using the LCD. However, as I have several fine old lenses that are not 6-bit coded (and can't be due to the flange variations), I do use the menu to select the lens type. If I liked to do post-processing more I could skip that and adjust the DNG file for vignetting and color shifts, but having made my living on computers for decades I prefer just to capture good SOOC jpg images. The M9 jpgs weren't as good, but I find the M10 fine for my use.

But if you only use coded lenses I think you could use the M10 D without using the app.

• Like 1

I am a M10-D user for almost 5 years, I used the Leica app once or maybe twice  to change the standard settings of the camera, then never again. Most of my lenses, old Leica ones and new lenses from Zeiss ZM are without coding, the pros and cons of coding have been discussed repeatedly in this forum, for me missing coding is a non issue. That a camera with a lot of electronics eventually will die is no secret, the question is when, after 10 years, or after 30 years. See, e.g., the light meter issues with M6 (which however still can be used without built in metering or the M9 sensor trouble.

I bought the camera because it is without display, is not overloaded with controls and therefore comes close to a classic film camera. If you feel the same, buy it - I would buy again.

Edited by AndreasG
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

Überlege lieber, Dir eine M 10-R zu kaufen. Sie ist für mich ein würdiger Nachfolger meiner M3 aus 1955 und der anderen Analogen. Trotz meiner S3 bevorzuge ich sie inzwischen, vor allem mit dem neuen APO-Summicron 35 mm (siehe meine eingestellten Fotos). Ich glaube auch nicht, dass Leica in 15 Jahren mit der M 10-R Service-Probleme haben wird.

Digital certainly presents higher risk for long term servicability than mechanical. I can see 2 obvious examples. I think it was in 2011 that the first coffee stain issues for the M8 came up. Only 5 years after launch, some M8s still in the shops. The LCD screen (Sony made) was not available anymore. I hope Leica was insured properly, because the replacement and upgrade program must have cost a lot.
Then around 2013 the first corrosion sensor issues with the M9 came. (Kodak's responsibility ) Again, only 4-5 years after launch. That also has been solved gracefully by Leica at great effort and cost.

Leica made a commitment at that time to support digital M's for 10 years after production. But could not even make that true. So do not expect your broken M10 R to be repaired 15 years after production. I hear that Leica still offers upgrades at discount to M11 for corroded M9's. That is the best you can hope for when any third party supply is involved.

1 hour ago, tim said:

Never have used a M10D but if the Leica Photos App is essential the risk is certainly higher than with any other M10.

If you don’t want to see the display on the back of the M10 you may want to use a half case to hide it … just my 2cents

Happy new year!

Cheers Tim

+1
A camera that is standalone sounds more robust. Smartphones evolve at a very different pace, 1 year is a generation. 5 years is an eternity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dpitt said:

Digital certainly presents higher risk for long term servicability than mechanical. I can see 2 obvious examples. I think it was in 2011 that the first coffee stain issues for the M8 came up. Only 5 years after launch, some M8s still in the shops. The LCD screen (Sony made) was not available anymore. I hope Leica was insured properly, because the replacement and upgrade program must have cost a lot.
Then around 2013 the first corrosion sensor issues with the M9 came. (Kodak's responsibility ) Again, only 4-5 years after launch. That also has been solved gracefully by Leica at great effort and cost.

Leica made a commitment at that time to support digital M's for 10 years after production. But could not even make that true. So do not expect your broken M10 R to be repaired 15 years after production. I hear that Leica still offers upgrades at discount to M11 for corroded M9's. That is the best you can hope for when any third party supply is involved.

+1
A camera that is standalone sounds more robust. Smartphones evolve at a very different pace, 1 year is a generation. 5 years is an eternity.

Strangely enough, “untreated” coffee stains disappeared spontaneously. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Overgaard said:

The Leica M10-D is very charming, and the M10 camera model series is really well-working. 

Look at the Leica M8, a 17 year old digital Leica camera model, still going strong and selling for around $3,000 online today (more than 50% of new price). 

But not completely serviceable any more. 

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Strangely enough, “untreated” coffee stains disappeared spontaneously. 

Strangely enough Leica treated this mostly cosmetic issue with the utmost respect. They scored a lot of points for me when they offered me a nice upgrade for my M8 to a brand new M9. Users with M8 in warranty even got a free M9! There was nothing wrong with my M8 apart from a slight issues with the LCD screen which was pretty much useless for judging IQ of the pictures anyway. I was surprised but very pleased with their solution.

It makes me sad to read about horror stories where users with real issues that break the functionality of their M are not treated with the respect it deserves. Looks like when the third party supplier makes mistakes, they use different standards compared to when it is Leica's in house responsibility. Or at least it looks inconsistent to me, like a case to case approach in stead of a uniform policy.

Posted (edited)

I step into the Leica M-System with the M8.2, Summicron 28 and the Summilux 50. Regardless of upgrading to the M10 in 2017 and buying an bunch of other lenses and a M7, I would still be happy with my initial setup. It still works fine. 

In this respect I am pretty sure an M10D could make you happy for quite some time.

Edited by Steve Ash
  • Like 1