TL lenses future

dsalamena

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

As I mentioned in another thread, I own 5 TL lenses: three zooms and two primes (35 and 60). I used them for a few years on my CL and then with the SL2 cameras. I have now sold both cameras with the idea of buying a Q3 which seems perfect companion for my M10. So right now I have no use for the lenses. 

Problem is, for non professional use, I believe that SL cameras and full-frame SL lenses are way too big and heavy. I would never use them on my holidays. So moving to SL system is not an option for me right now. 

I like the TL lenses because they are small, light and sharp enough, but I would not go back to a CL/TL camera either: autofocus is too slow, noise is noticeable at high iso and I would miss IBIS.

So Leica is not offering a foreseeable use for TL lenses and I can't understand their marketing strategy. What are we supposed to do with these lenses? I could use them with a Panasonic S5 camera which seems small and cheap enough, but I would get only 10mpx pictures and, honestly, I don't like Panasonic cameras (too many buttons) Another option would be to sell all TL lenses and invest in something more future proof, but I'm reluctant as I don't see many quality options in the market right now. 

I believe Leica should offer a camera that is smaller and cheaper than the SL3, a sort of CL2 camera but with modern autofocus, IBIS and L-mount. I don't really care if it's full frame or asp-c. 

• Like 1

I am with you about the continuation of the TL line, but I am afraid that Leica is on a different page...
Not much future other than maybe a high resolution L mount like the SL2 or SL3. In that case you have plenty of pixels left in APS-C crop mode.

Panasonic and other brands have a few options with >24MP FF too that might be of interest.
Maybe the Sigma FP-L will give you what you are looking for.

5 hours ago, dsalamena said:

I believe Leica should offer a camera that is smaller and cheaper than the SL3, a sort of CL2 camera but with modern autofocus, IBIS and L-mount. I don't really care if it's full frame or asp-c. 

I think that they will eventually offer such an L mount camera: it's basically a Q3 with interchangeable lenses. I don't think it will happen soon. We know they are working on an S4 (medium format mirrorless), and probably an SL3-S (video-centric mirrorless).

In the meanwhile, you should try-out the Sigma fp-l. It has a weird form factor, so some people love it and some people hate it! I've been using an fp (same shape) as a travel camera. It fits in a small bag, and I find it comfortable with the optional grip.

Posted (edited)

Using mine on the FpL and will hang on to the TL lenses I have for now, still results in 26 mps and makes for a lovely light package but no ibis (not missed on this body really) and the camera is quirky for sure. The FpL seems to have become a habit I can't break somehow, it is definitely a Marmite camera, I've sold it twice now and still ended up buying another, not sure I have ever done that with any other camera body.  

Edited by Boojay

Thanks everyone for the contribution.
Never thought of the SigmaFP-L, but I will have a look. It seems interesting based on the specs, for sure the body is weird. 

Let's see what Leica will offer in the future. A Q body with interchangeable L mount lenses would indeed be a dream.