Which of the currently manufactured Leica analog M bodies is your favourite?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Owning the M-A, MP, neue M6.  I'd say the BP MP.  Because as much as I like the neue M6, people mistake it for a $2000 old M6 so....   😜

All kidding aside, the new M6 now that I have replaced the janky film advance lever with an MP style one.  It's basically an MP with a quick rewind mechanism.  If you shoot a lot of film in a day, or want to reload quickly, the old thumb/finger twist rewind can get wearing/tiresome.

3 hours ago, Huss said:

the new M6 now that I have replaced the janky film advance lever with an MP style one.  It's basically an MP with a quick rewind mechanism.

27 minutes ago, rmueller said:

Black M-A in a heartbeat, actually consider buying a second one. 

You folks are crazy. Period. 😉 I’m wondering of getting a digital M. Or not. Or not because my M4-P and my M6 (classic), do everything I want. But if I were blessed with endless budget, I’d get an M6 neu and an MP black paint, the latter with a proper winder.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been trying to form a reasoned justification for a companion to my black M-A;  a silver M-A along with a 35 Summilux SR re-issue would be perfect.

However this will remain a distant dream, for the time after which I have turned off the last work computer, and retire to spent days on end making darkroom prints instead of powerpoint slides. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

I've been trying to form a reasoned justification for a companion to my black M-A;  a silver M-A along with a 35 Summilux SR re-issue would be perfect.

However this will remain a distant dream, for the time after which I have turned off the last work computer, and retire to spent days on end making darkroom prints instead of powerpoint slides. 

I just acquired a silver m-a recently and paired with a silver summilux 35 FLE.

I wanted a summilux SR re-issue too just for the look. But I could not justify the cost

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Huss said:

Owning the M-A, MP, neue M6.  I'd say the BP MP.  Because as much as I like the neue M6, people mistake it for a $2000 old M6 so....   😜

Maybe you should have left the price tag on.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I would find it hard to choose, apart from I really don't like the wobbly film advance on the M6. I could of course have a fixed advance lever retro fitted if I chose an M6 though.

Super quick swap - I did mine.

11 hours ago, Huss said:

All kidding aside, the new M6 now that I have replaced the janky film advance lever with an MP style one.  It's basically an MP with a quick rewind mechanism.  If you shoot a lot of film in a day, or want to reload quickly, the old thumb/finger twist rewind can get wearing/tiresome.

Remember, shooting film is to slow you down 😛 so no need quick rewind mechs

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

This is a good dream 👍

It resonates with me, at least: my darkroom is built and in use, next up is a graceful exit from the workforce, the M3's will be my capture device for remaining/many years, having already served a lifetime (or two?) before me... From today's range, if I felt the need, no question it would be the M-A line, but I would be having the framelines modded (50, 90, 135) and strapping on my 1.25x Leica magnifier... (0.72*1.25 = 0.9)... and missing the very practical viewfinder guards of the M3 (lesser M finger marks, eww)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jakontil said:

Remember, shooting film is to slow you down 😛 so no need quick rewind mechs

Whilst I would agree, I found that rewinding my M-A with a paper cut on my thumb extremely painful (note to myself, be more careful).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I really don't like the wobbly film advance on the M6. I could of course have a fixed advance lever retro fitted if I chose an M6 though.

I’m relatively new to the M system and learned that the M4 - M7 advance lever must be a major flaw because every real Leicarista on these forums swaps it for the old M3 lever. 

Is that true? Or is it a style thing? So far, I’m enjoying the wobbly levers as quick and ergonomic.

Edited by hansvons

1 hour ago, hansvons said:

I’m relatively new to the M system and learned that the M4 - M7 advance lever must be a major flaw because every real Leicarista on these forums swaps it for the old M3 lever. 

Is that true? Or is it a style thing? So far, I’m enjoying the wobbly levers as quick and ergonomic.

Style and personal preference. Leica clearly thought the pivoting end on the M4 style was an improvement, and I agree in actual use. In 1968 I could have bought a brand new M3 or M4 for the same price, and I spent some days working with both at the camera shop where I worked part time. I much preferred the feel and leverage of the M4 style, and so I bought the M4 instead of an M3, and I've never regretted it.

Much later I added many Leica models to my collection, and the levers on my M2 & M3 never felt right, even though they looked authentic. So now I've changed both to the M4 lever.

But I'm an engineer, so I prefer function to style.

• Like 4