Which of the currently manufactured Leica analog M bodies is your favourite?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are currently five analog M bodies in regular production: MP black paint, MP silver, M-A black, M-A silver, and M6 reissue. Which is your favourite? Or, rather, if you had to delete one from the lineup, which model would it be? I’ve handled and used all of them except the black M-A. I think the black paint MP is the most stunning. That said, I believe the M6 reissue holds its own against the MP and M-A and is quickly becoming my go-to analog camera. 

It's like asking what pasta I perfer. Penne, fusilli, farfalle, fettuccini, linguini, paccheri, rigatoni, pici, spaghetti, tagliatelle, vermicelli... I’ve cooked and eaten all of them. Impossible to decide. They are all plain cooked dough with different looks and they all taste bland without being properly prepared and seasoned with sauces, herbs and spices.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It's like asking what pasta I perfer. Penne, fusilli, farfalle, fettuccini, linguini, paccheri, rigatoni, pici, spaghetti, tagliatelle, vermicelli... I’ve cooked and eaten all of them. Impossible to decide. They are all plain cooked dough with different looks and they all taste bland without being properly prepared and seasoned with sauces, herbs and spices.

to me they are all noodles. no difference.

• Haha 1

As I wouldn't go near a new Leica film or digital M, I'd pick the black or silver M11 from a looks POV but they're all too crazy expensive and problematic for my needs, wants, and what cameras are worth to me as a tool (I prefer Fuji digital cameras).  That said, my 1967 silver M4 is my favorite of Leica's film cameras (I don't much like in-camera meters although almost all of my cameras have one).  I know many prefer the styling and operation of the M3 but I never cared for it.  I'm one of the people who prefer the red dot (which my M4 does not have) so I wouldn't buy a new one without it.  Don't think they make any of their binoculars with their red dot logo so am not sure why they do on some cameras.  One can always cover it over if one is paranoid or virtue signaling online... :D

22 minutes ago, CSG123 said:

As I wouldn't go near a new Leica film or digital M, I'd pick the black or silver M11 from a looks POV but they're all too crazy expensive and problematic for my needs, wants, and what cameras are worth to me as a tool (I prefer Fuji digital cameras).  That said, my 1967 silver M4 is my favorite of Leica's film cameras (I don't much like in-camera meters although almost all of my cameras have one).  I know many prefer the styling and operation of the M3 but I never cared for it.  I'm one of the people who prefer the red dot (which my M4 does not have) so I wouldn't buy a new one without it.  Don't think they make any of their binoculars with their red dot logo so am not sure why they do on some cameras.  One can always cover it over if one is paranoid or virtue signaling online... :D

I have a silver M4 and love it. But if pressed, I'd still take my modern analog M bodies, especially the MP black paint, over the old M4. But please don't tell the M4 that I said that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will repeat what has already been posted:  I won't buy a current Leica film camera.  However, the BP MP is absolutely gorgeous.  I will be sticking with my mint anniversary black chrome M4 but a silver M2 is not to be sneezed at.

Edited by ktmrider2

I missed that the op was asking about strictly modern film Leicas and I mentioned the M11 (as well as my own M4).  If I had to pick a modern film Leica on looks alone, it would be the black M6 because I like the red dot but if I were to buy a modern Leica (absolutely no chance of that), it would be the silver M-A.  I've already got enough black cameras... ;)

Edited by CSG123