Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 Steel Rim

richfx

Thanks both - I’m just out on the US West Coast at the moment (I live in the UK) so once I’m back (Wednesday) if nobody else has put up some pictures in the meantime, I will do :) I’m using the lens and my 2022 M6 at the moment with a short eBay hood that I posted about near the start of this thread. 

My steel rim replacement hood was supposed to arrive today (or so I thought). I just opened the box and instead of a newly designed screw in hood... they sent me another clip on hood. I assume this is some sort of accidental mixup. It was shipped direct from Germany. Has anyone else received the new hood in the USA and checked the contents of the box?

24 minutes ago, Crem said:

My steel rim replacement hood was supposed to arrive today (or so I thought). I just opened the box and instead of a newly designed screw in hood... they sent me another clip on hood. I assume this is some sort of accidental mixup. It was shipped direct from Germany. Has anyone else received the new hood in the USA and checked the contents of the box?

I get back to the UK from San Diego tomorrow so I’ll check what’s in my box, I assume you got an email from Leica confirming shipment so I’d just email them back. However, whilst we’re all expecting a screw in hood have you checked to see if the one you’ve received works with a filter? I’m not sure I’ve actually seen anything that confirms what type we’re getting?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, SJH said:

I get back to the UK from San Diego tomorrow so I’ll check what’s in my box, I assume you got an email from Leica confirming shipment so I’d just email them back. However, whilst we’re all expecting a screw in hood have you checked to see if the one you’ve received works with a filter? I’m not sure I’ve actually seen anything that confirms what type we’re getting?

I did check side by side with my existing clip on hood. It is exactly the same as the original clip on hood.

Edited by Crem

9 minutes ago, Crem said:

I did check side by side with my existing clip on hood. It appears to be exactly the same as the original clip on hood.

9 minutes ago, Crem said:

I did check side by side with my existing clip on hood. It appears to be exactly the same as the original clip on hood.

Understood, sadly seems like a mistake then. I’m in the air right now but I’ll post a pic once I’m back. 

• Thanks 1

I’m on an email chain with three different Leica email addresses. So far nobody can explain why I was sent a replacement clip-on hood.

I’ve also been told the redesigned hood that works with filters is not available yet.

Edited by Crem
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crem said:

I’m on an email chain with three different Leica email addresses. So far nobody can explain why I was sent a replacement clip-on hood.

I’ve also been told the redesigned hood that works with filters is not available yet.

I've just got back and opened mine - yes it's the clip-on hood!!! I'll get on to Leica tomorrow and let everyone know!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SJH said:

I've just got back and opened mine - yes it's the clip-on hood!!! I'll get on to Leica tomorrow and let everyone know!!

In summary I think some confusion occurred internally between customer care and the spare parts department. At least that is what it appears to be from my email thread. Nobody is asking me to send it back so I think we are the proud owners of some spare hoods.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, richfx said:

Wow. A comedy of errors. I wonder when the actual replacement hood will be produced and shipped to us. 

I was told in a few more months from Leica customer care.  Honestly I’m not upset about the extra clip on hood since it appears I get to keep it. Accidents happen. 

Edited by Crem
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Crem said:

In summary I think some confusion occurred internally between customer care and the spare parts department. At least that is what it appears to be from my email thread. Nobody is asking me to send it back so I think we are the proud owners of some spare hoods.

Yes I think that's it!! However, just a thought but whilst we wait for the 'actual' screw in hood replacement that works if you have a spare filter that size we could always 'superglue' it to the spare hood and thus make an all in one unit to use!!

• Haha 1

Ok everyone, Leica have come back to me very quickly and apologised for the mix up.

Customer Care and ‘parts’ thought it was a quality issue with the hood, hence them sending a replacement out to everyone on the list. However, this has been corrected now by the management team and they’re working on a hood/hoods that will work with filters.

I’m not too sure therefore though whether we’ll receive just a modified ‘push on’, a modified screw on our both!! However, we’ll be definitely getting something!!

1 hour ago, SJH said:

Ok everyone, Leica have come back to me very quickly and apologised for the mix up.

Customer Care and ‘parts’ thought it was a quality issue with the hood, hence them sending a replacement out to everyone on the list. However, this has been corrected now by the management team and they’re working on a hood/hoods that will work with filters.

I’m not too sure therefore though whether we’ll receive just a modified ‘push on’, a modified screw on our both!! However, we’ll be definitely getting something!!

That would be amazing if they redesigned the OLLUX-style hood to work with filters as well. But I'll believe it when I see it regarding any redesigned hood.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hdmesa said:

如果他们重新设计 OLLUX 风格的遮光罩也能与过滤器配合使用,那就太棒了。但当我看到关于任何重新设计的引擎盖时,我会相信它。

The new ollux can not be used when the filter screwed on because the new STEEL RIM part is made thinner to reach the E46 diameter. so it is very difficult to make the compatibility redesigning the hood, but not the len itself.