Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 Steel Rim

richfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received my new Summilux 35mm steel rim lens several days ago and am putting it through the paces. Interesting so far. Quite soft wide open and painterly stopped down a bit, with a nice glow at times. Comparisons to the 35 Lux ASPH FLE and 35 Cron ASPH don't really make sense because of its recreated heritage technology, and I'm having fun so far. Interesting about the OLLUX hood. I reached out to Mark at Leica USA to see whether mine is affected and am awaiting a response.

Apologies if this has already been asked / addressed, but I quickly learned that the front lens cap is completely loose and as a result, useless. It doesn't grip the lens at all and, if I were to use it outside, it would be lost within five minutes. Has anyone else experienced this issue and has Leica been apprised of / acknowledged it? I'd expect a new front cap, perhaps with the new OLLUX  hood, to be shipped to affected owners soon. Makes me scratch my head about Leica's QC on the lens.

Edited by rcerick

• richfx changed the title to Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 Steel Rim

Congrats on your new lens, can't wait to receive mine (in a few weeks if everything goes right)!

I don't have the answer to your question (yet) but unfortunately it does seem like the quality has dramatically decreased recently... If you don't mind my hijacking your thread, I was wondering whether you have the following 2 issues with your lens:

1. Wobbling aperture ring

2. Stiff focus ring near infinity

Thanks!

Hi. The aperture ring isn’t wobbly on mine. There’s a small amount of free play between f stops when moving it (side to side, not in and out), but that’s how almost all of my Leica lenses - new, used and CLA’d by Leica - are. Not sure why, but I’ve learned to accept it. 
No stiffness at all in focusing near infinity. You do know that it has an infinity lock, like the original?

Edited by rcerick
  • Like 1

I have the same thoughts about the lens...Its one my favorite I have ever put on a camera. First lens I have ever used to show very real character wide open. Not some magical you have to look in the mirror and soul search about the picture to see it. Real character, love it or hate it you can't get rid of it. 

Stopped down its a normal 35 IMO. My lens cap stays on firm but I don't plan on using it. I just slapped a clear filter on it and won't worry about the cap. 

Any pictures you can share? Love seeing them with the 35 SR.

I also just shot 3 rolls of films with it, HP Delta BW 3200, Ektachrome 100 and Porta 800. The Black and white roll was in very low light and almost all wide open. Excited to see how things turned out. 

• Like 1

Nothing noteworthy as of yet, but here are two shots wide open and at f/5.6 (I had to send them in two replies because of size limitations):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1

• Like 3

15 hours ago, richfx said:

Nothing noteworthy as of yet, but here are two shots wide open and at f/5.6 (I had to send them in two replies because of size limitations):

I think these two are reversed. First one looks 5.6. 

That’s correct. I couldn’t control the order that the photos uploaded, but the differences should be readily apparent. The B&W is a Silver Efex Pro 2 conversion of the f1.4 shot. 

Edited by richfx

Just saw the update from Fred Miranda : link

Just wanted to give you an update on my Leica 35/1.4 Steel Rim lens. I had to send it in for repair because the focusing ring was a bit sticky, the aperture was wobbly, and the lens wasn't properly aligned with the RF. I ended up waiting for 3 months for the repair to be completed, but Leica surprised me by sending me a brand new lens instead!

It took a little longer than expected because my lens ended up in Germany and they're dealing with a backlog at the moment, but the good news is that the new lens is absolutely perfect! None of the issues from the first one, and I couldn't be happier.

That makes me much more confident :).

He didn't mention the lens cap.

Thanks. Can you provide the serial numbers of both your lenses? Perhaps those of us who own one can then decipher whether the problems you describe were solved at a certain point in production.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 1:43 PM, egrossman said:

Quick question for everyone: I own the 35mm Summilux v2. Is the Steel Rim reissue going to be the same in terms of render? Thanks.

Erik

They’re very similar (same optical formula). However coating makes images seem a bit more modern - ie contrasty and with punchy colors.  Tonal output  is more similar to 35 summicron v4 than traditional summilux pre apsh imho. 

3 hours ago, egrossman said:

Thanks for that. Since I own both the v2 and v4 probably makes sense for me to take a pass on the reissue then.

Erik

Only caveat being you won’t get the punchy colors and contrast plus glow at 1.4. Kind of like best of both worlds - summicron v4 and summilux pre apsh. 

• Thanks 1