Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 Steel Rim

richfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, hdmesa said:

That would be amazing if they redesigned the OLLUX-style hood to work with filters as well. But I'll believe it when I see it regarding any redesigned hood.

Likewise and simply the easiest thing to do is to modify the screw in hood. I think they will do it as of course they had to do the same thing with the 50mm 1.4 BC whereby owners of that lens (myself included) could apply to Customer care and they'd send you a screw in that actually worked with then lens.

• Like 1

I too received a duplicate clip on hood, (12487). Have just emailed Customer Care to find out what is going on with the replacement screw on hood (12486). 

They already have my lens for repair due to flappy aperture ring. I took it into the London, Duke Street Leica shop, and although they tried to convince me the demo one they had on a camera indicated this was normal, I asked for the lens to be checked. Wetzlar emailed today to say a repair was required, and that they were waiving the cost. Very generous…

• Like 2

Our cathedral, one with F 1,7. and one with F16

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Shot wide open with a M11.

Edited by Qlan
  • Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another off the street, 1/4s handheld M10R

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Coolest cows on the block. F16

• Like 8

Turning dark

• Like 6

Not sure if this has been posted already, here is the comparison of the Steel Rim with Nokton 35 II. Interesting finds. The comparison photo of both lenses seems like they are distant cousins 😉.

https://www.jogeier.com/blog/leica-summilux-1-4-35mm-steel-rim-vs-voigtlander-nokton-1-4-35mm-quick-review/

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Not sure if this has been posted already, here is the comparison of the Steel Rim with Nokton 35 II. Interesting finds. The comparison photo of both lenses seems like they are distant cousins 😉.

https://www.jogeier.com/blog/leica-summilux-1-4-35mm-steel-rim-vs-voigtlander-nokton-1-4-35mm-quick-review/

Interesting review and thanks for the link to it........As it happens I have both the 35 1.4 Summilux Classic and the 35 1.4 Nokton (SC), and yes apart from the pricing of each lens the differences are subtle and minimal. The Nokton for me is just slightly better ergonomically but you'd only know that if you had both lenses, it is also better if you use filters, the Summilux is a PITA as far as filter use is concerned and the large "Classic" styled hood, although included with a screw-in vented hood, is too large and a waste of space, stay with the vented one. As far as performance I'd say that if comparative shots of the same scene at the same time with each lens were made but not identified one really would not be able to tell which lens was used, they are that close in performance. On film I think the Summilux has for me the better "look", ( B&W film ), though the SC Nokton is as close as damnit, so again if you didn't have both lenses the difference in my book is quite marginal.

1 hour ago, Smudgerer said:

Interesting review and thanks for the link to it........As it happens I have both the 35 1.4 Summilux Classic and the 35 1.4 Nokton (SC), and yes apart from the pricing of each lens the differences are subtle and minimal. The Nokton for me is just slightly better ergonomically but you'd only know that if you had both lenses, it is also better if you use filters, the Summilux is a PITA as far as filter use is concerned and the large "Classic" styled hood, although included with a screw-in vented hood, is too large and a waste of space, stay with the vented one. As far as performance I'd say that if comparative shots of the same scene at the same time with each lens were made but not identified one really would not be able to tell which lens was used, they are that close in performance. On film I think the Summilux has for me the better "look", ( B&W film ), though the SC Nokton is as close as damnit, so again if you didn't have both lenses the difference in my book is quite marginal.

Good to know.

I kind of regret selling my Nokton 35 1.4 SC v2 some time ago (there are times which I have pauses from photography and then it hits again) but these days being more than satisfied by using an old Summilux 35 1.4 v2 (1981).

Voigtländer does an amazing job with their line-up. Wishing they continue offering so good lenses. 

• Like 1

Just realized that my lens (bought in March 2023) has quite heavy back focusing issues... I thought the softness was due to the vintage design, but decided to do a controlled test today and the lens is actually quite sharp at f/4 when focused using liveview. Contacted Leica, mentally preparing myself to not see the lens again for a few months...