Jono’s Review: Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux V1 (Steel Rim)

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Yeah agree Dan, I'm really interested to try it out :D  I hadn't noticed the screws and will check it out .

See here! Either way once I put a filter on it it won't bother me but why screws there? It just feels weird they changed the design. Leica didn't produce / started producing e34 filters when it lauched the summaron remake. Imagine if they had made that an e39 lol e34 → 39 is same as e41 → 46, quite a difference...I'd be ok buying e41 filters from other brands (& I'm sure some SR specific filters would be made by 3rd parties) as I did with e34 filters for the summaron.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

See here! Either way once I put a filter on it it won't bother me but why screws there? It just feels weird they changed the design. Leica didn't produce / started producing e34 filters when it lauched the summaron remake. Imagine if they had made that an e39 lol e34 → 39 is same as e41 → 46, quite a difference...I'd be ok buying e41 filters from other brands (& I'm sure some SR specific filters would be made by 3rd parties) as I did with e34 filters for the summaron.

Yeah agree.  Being a bit of a grumpy guy, the filter size and other cosmetic changes (hood type , hood material) are enough to refer to the remake as the v3 , IMO rather than a complete reissue.   After all the v2 didn’t “officially” differ optically either, but had hood and filter changes. 

Although I don’t know entirely why I’m a bit grumpy about this because E46 will be more convenient.  I think I’m just a purist and had been very excited about a replica/reproduction that was as close as possible. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

… Also V1s had so many variation in samples & who knows what happened to them throughout the years that it's very hard to say exactly if it is same / dif. as all v1. …

And how many of the remaining original v1 lenses have had a recent, expert CLA? If not, I can’t image they wouldn’t at best have minor haze. Wouldn’t they no longer be in optimal adjustment? And how many of them have had their front and rear coatings nearly wiped off from years of use/cleaning?

I couldn’t see any haze or detect any adjustment issues with my v2 on the M11, but when it came back from a DAG CLA, it was obvious to me how much better it performed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

And how many of the remaining original v1 lenses have had a recent, expert CLA? If not, I can’t image they wouldn’t at best have minor haze. Wouldn’t they no longer be in optimal adjustment? And how many of them have had their front and rear coatings nearly wiped off from years of use/cleaning?

I couldn’t see any haze or detect any adjustment issues with my v2 on the M11, but when it came back from a DAG CLA, it was obvious to me how much better it performed.

This is true, and we often make categorical statements from a sample size of 1 lens , which any statistician will tell us is extremely dangerous.  I will say though that there is merit to the accolades given to v1, my copy has indeed had a recent CLA from DAG and is a beautiful performer, and different to my 2 copies of v2 (although each of those differ in calibration which supports your point )

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grahamc said:

This is true, and we often make categorical statements from a sample size of 1 lens , which any statistician will tell us is extremely dangerous.  I will say though that there is merit to the accolades given to v1, my copy has indeed had a recent CLA from DAG and is a beautiful performer, and different to my 2 copies of v2 (although each of those differ in calibration which supports your point )

Thanks, good to know!

You may have done this, but always let Don know you will pay for the required insurance coverage for the return shipping. I had to ask for and pay extra for the insurance for my v2 – can't imagine the insurance on the v1 :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Thanks, good to know!

You may have done this, but always let Don know you will pay for the required insurance coverage for the return shipping. I had to ask for and pay extra for the insurance for my v2 – can't imagine the insurance on the v1 :)

Thanks very much ! The funny thing is the differences in my v2’s compliment eachother.  One apparently has been adjusted to perform optimally at open apertures (or at least F1.8 / F2) whilst the other less so but incredibly sharp through 2.8 onward and 5.6 has incredibly clarity. Probably not noticeable differences in the real world but I discovered in a test. So can assume this comes from the life & servicing differences you mentioned. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Thanks very much ! The funny thing is the differences in my v2’s compliment eachother.  One apparently has been adjusted to perform optimally at open apertures (or at least F1.8 / F2) whilst the other less so but incredibly sharp through 2.8 onward and 5.6 has incredibly clarity. Probably not noticeable differences in the real world but I discovered in a test. So can assume this comes from the life & servicing differences you mentioned. 

Did your v2 copies show those differences via EVF focusing or were the differences due to the f-stop they were optimized/calibrated for the rangefinder?

I sold my v2 a month ago in anticipation of the v1 reissue, but I'm missing it. I like how the v2 12504 hood clips on, and I don't like how the v3 round hood screws into the filter threads, which is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I don't care for the other replica hood – too big, and I don't like the look of it, though I appreciate that Leica included/created it.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Did your v2 copies show those differences via EVF focusing or were the differences due to the f-stop they were optimized/calibrated for the rangefinder?

I sold my v2 a month ago in anticipation of the v1 reissue, but I'm missing it. I like how the v2 12504 hood clips on, and I don't like how the v3 round hood screws into the filter threads, which is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I don't care for the other replica hood – too big, and I don't like the look of it, though I appreciate that Leica included/created it.

I must admit I’m a little underwhelmed myself. Although I’m probably not the target market because I already have more than enough of these very nice 35;1.4 pre-asph lenses.  I find my v2 titanium with full milled brass is particularly nice and like you I don’t mind the v2 hood or sitting filters in it.

Aswell as I would guess that the new one can’t be any closer to v1 than is a v2.  Open to education on that as more tests and feedback come out however .   So any purchase for me would be for E46, some cosmetic differences and the minor rendering differences that these versions will all no doubt produce.

Once again though a beautiful lens no doubt. 

The tests I did were with the rangefinder.  Thanks for the input I should use EVF next time 

Edited by grahamc

6 minutes ago, grahamc said:

I must admit I’m a little underwhelmed myself. Although I’m probably not the target market because I already have more than enough of these lenses.  I find my 35:1.4 titanium with full milled brass is particularly nice and like you I don’t mind the v2 hood or sitting filters in it.

Aswell as I would guess that the new one can’t be any closer to v1 than is a v2.  Open to education on that as more tests and feedback come out however .   So any purchase for me would be for E46, some cosmetic differences and the minor rendering differences that these versions will all no doubt produce.

Once again though a beautiful lens no doubt. 

The tests I did were with the rangefinder.  Thanks for the input I should use EVF next time 

Yes, it’ll be really nice if this v3 renders similar to the v1 and v2 but has minor differences that make it unique to those of us who appreciate them. I’m hoping the veiling flare is reduced somewhat while still keeping the wide open glow and rainbow flare that we can already see in the samples thus far.

The upside of the v3 taking filters for me will be I can use a clear filter on it and not bother with a hood at all if I don’t want to. I was always nervous to shoot the v2 without the hood + filter combo since it’s a moderately rare lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I bought my M4 in December1968 I bought an f/1.4 35mm Summilux with it. It is close but not identical the "steel rim" one. It was made in Canada. There was no thread for a filter, instead the lens hood unscrewed to admit a Series VII filter. Distance scale was in metres and feet, It focussed fown to a whisker under 3 feet, about 91 cm.

The soft focus when wide open could be quite nice,

• Like 8

LCL, I absolutely love the contrast (sic) of the short sleeved dress vs the woolen pullover.😉

You probably have one of the first V2, still with infinity lock?

I am happy user of V1 with goggles, which focuses down to 65cm and a V2 Canada which is not too shabby despite its 90-something CF.

This shot is M10 with V2 at around f2.8:

Thanks @Knut. I'm interested to see the pic as I also have a goggled v1.  It hasn't seemed to load properly, or at least I can't see it - can you ? 

[Edit: I just re-read your post and notice the shot was v2.  Still interested to see it, however :D ]

Cheers 

Edited by grahamc

I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics from happy users of the reissue. As well as one in person sometime soon as a friend has his arriving early next week . If they are willing we may be able to do some fairly non-scientific comparisons at some point v1 , v2 (Germany), v3.  

Neither of us have a v2 Canada 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grahamc said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics from happy users of the reissue. As well as one in person sometime soon as a friend has his arriving early next week . If they are willing we may be able to do some fairly non-scientific comparisons at some point v1 , v2 (Germany), v3.  

Neither of us have a v2 Canada 

Yes! It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow assuming there are no delays fingers crossed🤞. Keen to do some comparisons but i have no experience with the other lenses! I'll post a couple photos after I recieve the lens. 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 12:58 AM, hdmesa said:

There's one on eBay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144770974929

But I would rehouse a more modern polarizer instead. The quality of the old Series 7 filters is not up to today's standards.

If you do adapt a 49mm polarizer, choose a linear polarizer like one made by Heliopan, where rotating the ring on the linear filter adjusts the strength of the effect.  With a circular polarizer, rotating the ring adjusts the angle of effect, which can give odd results when not shooting an optimal scene with the filter rotated to the right angle. Having to use a circular polarizer is a holdover from pre-digital autofocus days.

Thanks, thats very helpful advise. I didn't know that about circular polarizers.

On 10/22/2022 at 12:02 AM, darylgo said:

It is possible to remount a filter such as a polarizer into a standard mount filter ring, such as 49mm.  The rotating hood will turn it to the desired position, I believe.  The trick will be to remove it from it's two part rotating mount and then remount it, with the orientation kept proper front to back if that matters on a polarizer.  I haven't done this with polarizers but have done it with other filters and it is tricky.  Some filter manufacturers don't put the retaining ring indents there to allow removal, so it's more difficult.  I haven't had any luck separating the two parts of a rotating filter mount easily but there must be a way, perhaps rather complex.  

Alternative 2, check with your filter manufacturer reps, they might make a filter for you.  I've had it done once with Heliopan in the past when they replaced a step up ring under warranty they no longer made.  

Thanks for your thoughts.

I tried to fit a secondhand  and scratched Hoya 49mm polarizer with rotating ring into my 12504 but the filter was too deep to fit into the 12504 because it is made of two metal rings joined together. I then tried to separate the the rotator from the 49mm thread part but could not do it. The two parts are held together by an internal circlip type of spring which is impossible to remove without without cutting through the 49mm threaded piece. I did this but in the process damaged the rotating part that holds the filter glass. Maybe with the right tools and skills it can be done without damaging the rotator and glass but it is beyond my skills. I wouldn't want to try this again on an expensive new 49mm polarizer. Hence my initial question.

Perhaps I'll have to find a filter company rep to talk to, as you suggest. 

It's magic.

• Haha 16