Rumour comes of 35mm f1.4 Steel Rim re-issue in black paint

Warton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pearls before swine, but I actually don't like that silver ring. If I had the funds and desire for a black lens, I'd just get a 11860 repainted like Graham:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Auroralabs said:

... grab "from" collectors.

Corrected it 😉

This said, when it comes to camera and lenses I have no common sense :) 

It looks great in person, much better than Leica's press images for it (those rendering don't do it justice.) 

Finally the box it comes in is much better and it is under a bell, looks like the 50/1.2 Chrome packaging. 

And the focus distance scale is inverted, feet are closer to the camera body when looking down. At least they fixed one of my issue with the chrome version and made that like on the original.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

Corrected it 😉

This said, when it comes to camera and lenses I have no common sense :) 

It looks great in person, much better than Leica's press images for it (those rendering don't do it justice.) 

Finally the box it comes in is much better and it is under a bell, looks like the 50/1.2 Chrome packaging. 

And the focus distance scale is inverted, feet are closer to the camera body when looking down. At least they fixed one of my issue with the chrome version and made that like on the original.

pics ;)

• Like 1

Very unsure about that. I've got a v2 already. I like the way it renders and didn't like the reduced glow of the SR reissue. I thought I'd like the black but actually it looks exactly like my mid 70's version and costs nearly 3 times more. It doesn't even have close focus. No way would I pay a premium but maybe that because 1. I don't understand the collector thing 2. Even if I did I would have to use it and erode the value -  I can't handle trophies in cases.

Each to their own though! Hopefully this brings Leica lots of money for research, development and service (rather than shareholders) for obvious reasons.

Posted (edited)

Photographers: Hey, Leica, you should make some more highly varied lens offerings like Voigtlander does.

Leica: Ok, here's a variant of our $3,895 USD silver chrome on brass lens but made with aluminum and finished in anodized black for $10,495 USD.

Photographers: 😑

Leica: Did we mention it was a numbered special edition?

Collectors: 🥳

Photographers: But you did at least update the Ollux hood so that it now accepts filters, right?

Leica: Did we mention the infinity lock is made of brass and finished in black lacquer?

Photographers: Wait, what?

Edited by hdmesa
I can't spell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 10:13 AM, Al Brown said:

An absolutely GENIUS way to make millions on Leica’s side: Make a 9500€ lens from leftover regular parts in an otherwise unobtainable finish and sell just to collectors and high rollers in ultra limited 250 pieces - it is sold out in a heartbeat, securing you a hefty 2.5 million dollars in just a blink of an eye. Chapeau, Wetzlar folks! Regular production black paint steel rim would take much, much longer to sell at this price.

Yep.

From Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals....

Glenda: "I'd be ashamed of myself, selling boots at 400 dollars a go, which only rich people can afford! What's the point in that!"

Madame Sharn (coutourier): "Well, you must admit it makes rich people less rich. That's a good start, isn't it?"

Edited by adan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, weatherproof said:

Pearls before swine, but I actually don't like that silver ring. If I had the funds and desire for a black lens, I'd just get a 11860 repainted like Graham:

Thanks, would be a good choice !    

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, evikne said:

It reminds me of a Voigtländer lens.

"What do you mean? My Voigtlander is nothing like that... it is not even black." 😁

That is basically how this forum is running - everybody just enforcing their own truths. "My M11 freezes"... "Impossible, mine never ever froze"... "My lens has focus shift"... "Whaaaat? I have three copies and none have it"... and so on.

(It is satire but really not far from the truth).

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So my first reaction to the news that Leica was to come out with a Black Paint version of the 35 Summilux re-issue was real annoyance, doubly compounded when I learned that the pricing would put it at more than twice of what I paid for the regular economy-class bog standard and faulty lens-hooded "re-issue" last year which I always regretted that it was not available in Black but I bought what was available anyway, damn it............I do dislike how Leica squeezes out ridiculous sums of money for their "collectable" versions, but it obviously helps their bottom line and there's those around who can and will shell out for the next Emperor's New Clothes edition of whatever Leica has repainted, re-engraved, eliminated from or made cosmetic changes to what was/is still a regular issue camera or lens underneath the hype then good luck to Leica, but it still pisses me off.

Then I pulled out my excellent and probably better than Leica's 35 Lux' Black Paint Voigtlander Nokton 1.4 35 II, bolted it on my M7 .58, loaded up with Kodak XX and started to feel good about the world again knowing that even if I could find one I wouldn't want to buy the new Black Leica 35 Summilux anyway, all those imaginary Euros I may have blown Leica's way have been saved, now I can still just about afford the long overdue roofing repair job.

Edited by Smudgerer
  • Like 3

I received mine today.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

And yes, I'm using it. Here are the first pictures I took with it, straight out of the camera.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 12:57 PM, fabior said:

I would like to point out that the new steel reem black version limited to 200 pieces is made in black anodized finish and not black paint. It makes me think it's not brass

It's weight is identical to the chrome/brass one at 200grams without hood.