CL - The Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Happily in Wales for a couple of days.. my view and sound effect, CL and TL 55-135

[/url]View and sound effect by Jayne Booton, on Flickr

Beautiful view.  I didn't hear any sound though, even after clicking on the flier link.

- Vikas

• Like 1

CL w 18-56

New York City public library

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Honoring the Sabbath, Williamsburg (Brooklyn), NY

• Like 12

NYC public library: "Sixties" exhibit

• Like 12

Mom's Sunglasses

Leica CL + Summilux-TL 35

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today with the 35mm Summilux. 

Edited by Dippy
  • Like 14

A ever-present city critter . . . 

CL with M 135mm Tele-Elmar . . . 

• Like 12

CL with 180mm APO-Elmarit-R + APO-Extender-R 2X, ISO 1600 . . . 

This setup works well in bright light, but I have to find a faster alternative for less favorable conditions . . . 

• Like 17

This setup works well in bright light, but I have to find a faster alternative for less favorable conditions . . . 

attachicon.gifobsb.jpg

Amazing pictures :-)

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 1

A field of green, a bit of yellow.  CL, Zeiss Biogon C 35mm f2.8,  processed in Lightroom Classic.

. . . David

Edited by burkey
  • Like 11

attachicon.gifobsb.jpg

I think "works well" is a significant understatement.

Do you have any ideas about a low light alternative? Am I right that the lens + 1 2x extender takes you to around f4? And are you thinking that ISO 1600 is the "no noise limit" of the CL? 

• Like 1

This statute of a horseman is on the roof of the Hermes boutique in Miami Design District. I shot it from the street with 18-56 and had to resize it about 50% to post.

• Like 11

I think "works well" is a significant understatement.

Do you have any ideas about a low light alternative? Am I right that the lens + 1 2x extender takes you to around f4? And are you thinking that ISO 1600 is the "no noise limit" of the CL? 

Lens is f/2.8.  2X extender takes it to f/5.6; but for best contrast detail, a further stop down to f/8 is necessary.  Even in bright sunshine, this results in ISO 1000 or higher when shooting into a foliage background.  The camera has produced decent results for me even at ISO 6400.  But optimal rendering of fine detail against a challenging background seems to occur at ISO 800 or lower.

As for a faster lens that's not large and heavy:  I used a Nikon 300mm AF-P on the TL2 with good results when I had plenty of time to focus.  The Nikon's short focus throw often necessitates some tedious back and forth of the focus ring, during which time intended subjects change position.  It is the only non-Leica long lens I've used that approaches Leica's standards optically.

If I were inclined to carry heavier, the Leica 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R would be my choice.  I sold my copy a few years ago after obtaining its f/4 sibling, a change I have since regretted.  With the APO-Extender-R 1.4X, one has a 400mm f/4 combination that is capable of spectacular captures.

I will most likely continue with the present setup, as it can be brightened (albeit shortened) by using a 1.4X extender, and also works well on the M240 (see below).

• Like 13

Thanks so much for this. I've contemplated the Nikon 300 with a 1.4 extender and the CL, or the new 200-500 monster. But I'd love to get some older Nikon glass with an aperture ring.

How do you compare the optics of the Nikon 300 with the APO-Elmarit-R? The Nikon pictures on Flckr that I see don't seem nearly as good as those with your R, but a lot of that probably has to do with the photographer.

thanks!

The Nikon 300mm AF-P is plenty sharp with superb color, but appears to lack the tonal gradience of Leica glass. The Leica T/TL System image thread has some photos taken with the lens, as does the SL thread on third-party lenses.  The older version of the lens is almost as good and does have an aperture ring, but weighs almost double.  

Keeping my post here "legal," ;)  one more shot with the CL and 180mm Elmarit/2X combination, ISO 800, cropped slightly . . . 

• Like 9

Jayne, I am sure you would have the same kind of attitude if you had someone with a big lens kept shooting you without merci!... ;)

LOL!!!!   :D Louis, you may be right!

If you're ever lucky enough to be in a myna's "audience" when one launches into a very demonstrative "soliloquy" (for lack of the proper ornithological term), you'd see an entire range of emotions from this adorable little critter.  His cousins, the Black-Collared Starlings, sometimes perform similarly in duets, which is extremely entertaining.

Then again, this critter may have just been p*ssed at the intrusiveness of the lens . . .  :unsure:

As for "merci," I always thank any critter friends who sit for photos. I firmly believe that birds and dragonflies understand intent if not language, because so many of them consistently honor me with their trust.  :)

• Like 4