M9M or M246?

costa43

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

I’ve wanted a Leica Monochrom camera for many years but my budget was not on the same page as I was. I now have some spare change, so I’m trying to decide between the m9m and the m246. They are around the same cost.

I already shoot with an m9p so am fully aware of the limitations the earlier body brings.  From images I’ve seen the m246 seems to render a lighter grey, almost lower contrast look straight out of camera that I find rather pleasing. 

My question is with both bodies being the same price now pretty much, is there any advantage of going for the original? Does it have a certain something to the images? I ask as I’m not overly impressed by black and white conversions with my m9p. I currently use an m8 for black and white.

3rd choice is to sell the m9p and upgrade to an m10r but the idea of having a monochrome only option is appealing.

Thanks

Costa

No doubt someone will mention unique CCD rendering thus favouring M9M 😂

As you already use colour  M9 you should be familiar with issues with the platform, fuzzy shutter cocking, corroding sensor, poor battery, tricky memory card writing, etc.  In comparison M240/246 is more mature product, fitted with far superior shutter and with best battery performance of all M cameras so far.  It also have useful liveview and video (unique to M), even passable EVF, in reality performance is diabolically poor, I know I have both M246 and EVF.

Actual appearance of the digital file could be slightly different from model to model but really it is down to the individual approach to post processing and individual taste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Costa, just use your M8 for b&w, lovely files even in jpg 😇.

If you want something only for b&w either of the M9M or M246 would do.

When you choose M9M batteries of your M9P would be compatible, not with M246.

M246 has better battery life though.

I use along M8/M9M/M246 with some other M and see that these M are not the same, far from being obsolete.

to have idea of the battery size, I took the pic some years ago, when I bought M262 (same battery as M246)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, costa43 said:

From images I’ve seen the m246 seems to render a lighter grey, almost lower contrast look straight out of camera that I find rather pleasing. 

Modifying contrast/tonality, globally or locally,  is simple for either camera.  So, too, is creating default import settings or presets, if standardizing or expediting a given style is a priority. If one struggles with that, then the full potential of either camera will likely not be realized.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Modifying contrast/tonality, globally or locally,  is simple for either camera.  So, too, is creating default import settings or presets, if standardizing or expediting a given style is a priority. If one struggles with that, then the full potential of either camera will likely not be realized.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

No a standard out of camera file is not what I'm after. I actually enjoy the post process in digital photography. It was just an observation that the m246 files I've seen online tend to render a little different. I'm leaning towards the m246 for the improved ISO but I'd love to try them both out somehow before deciding!

Thanks

Costa

11 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Costa, just use your M8 for b&w, lovely files even in jpg 😇.

If you want something only for b&w either of the M9M or M246 would do.

When you choose M9M batteries of your M9P would be compatible, not with M246.

M246 has better battery life though.

I use along M8/M9M/M246 with some other M and see that these M are not the same, far from being obsolete.

to have idea of the battery size, I took the pic some years ago, when I bought M262 (same battery as M246)

Thank you and a valid point on the battery and charger compatibility. Having to carry two around is not ideal.

Reading this thread with interest as I am in a similar boat. I already have enough different battery standards to charge and carry so I would either get the M9M or sell the colour M9 and upgrade to M10R or M11. 

The latter option would probably yield the “best” results overall but there is something ridiculously appealing about having a BW-only camera that really forces you to think and visualize differently. Well it does for me, anyway… I think I am going to pick up an M9M and see what variants of the M11 come out  in a few years time. 

13 hours ago, matted said:

Reading this thread with interest as I am in a similar boat. I already have enough different battery standards to charge and carry so I would either get the M9M or sell the colour M9 and upgrade to M10R or M11. 

The latter option would probably yield the “best” results overall but there is something ridiculously appealing about having a BW-only camera that really forces you to think and visualize differently. Well it does for me, anyway… I think I am going to pick up an M9M and see what variants of the M11 come out  in a few years time. 

I considered selling the m9p and picking up a single new body too but I shoot black and white 90% of the time and I had to give this a go. If it’s not for me then I’ll consider selling the 246 and m9p and picking up an m10p or m10r whilst keeping my m8 too.

Edited by costa43
  • Like 1

👍

nice move.

Now you can do only b&w.

For a while just use the M246 (= 100% b&w), to know the camera at best.

Don't look at other M for some time, use it at will.

I think that the other 10% can come from your now owned camera(s) if you must.

Don't come here (Oh ! ), so you can not be influenced,  since you have some questions 😉.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

👍

nice move.

Now you can do only b&w.

For a while just use the M246 (= 100% b&w), to know the camera at best.

Don't look at other M for some time, use it at will.

I think that the other 10% can come from your now owned camera(s) if you must.

Don't come here (Oh ! ), so you can not be influenced,  since you have some questions 😉.

Hehe, my indecisiveness has plagued me for many years and maybe the limitation of colour will be of benefit so my mind does not wander. As for not visiting the forum, no way can I stay away! the only people that can even begin to listen to my ramblings are online. My wife and family have given up after I have bored them to tears with all this😂

Yes, I think I will do just that and use the m246 exclusively for a few months.

Have a great weekend.

Costa 

Edited by costa43
  • Like 1

M9M all the way, especially if you like vintage glass and enjoy B&W film rendering. With a simple profile from mastin labs (Ilford) or even the Adobe Monochrom profile with added grain, it will make your pictures look as close as you can get to Tri-X / HP5 on a digital platform. If this is to your taste, the M9M beats not only the M246 but also the M10M. 

If you prefer digital / clean with huge dynamic range and better ISO performance, obviously a CMOS sensor will always beat a CCD sensor. 

I’ve tried most Leica digital cameras and I still think that nothing renders as organically as film, but the 2nd best is the M9M. 

Other thing to consider is price. In 2y probably we will have the M11M, that’s the 3rd CMOS based MM, which will further bring the M246 prices down, whereas the M9 and M9M prices go up every year (where I live the M9M is more expensive than the M246 already).

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 3

Another MM1 and M246 user here for many years.

I can not choose one of them, but any one may be fine for now.

As I don't need to sell one of them, I'm happy to have choices.

When I use the MM1, I know that the files would be just as fine as with the M246.

But a bit more modern M246 is there to "help" to overcome the old style MM1.

Longer battery life and LV/EVF when I need is there if I want to use them.

Once or twice, I even use the lovely b&w video, funny thing to appreciate this unique feature in M  (or in colour M240).

• Like 3

On 2/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, a.noctilux said:

use your M8 for b&w, lovely files even in jpg 😇

Totally agree with this! If you have an M8 you may as well buy a newer/more capable body (M246). Otherwise you will be stuck with the same limitations of battery, buffer and so on.

The price dropped quite a lot over the last year...i saw them goin for less than 3k...

15 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

Totally agree with this! If you have an M8 you may as well buy a newer/more capable body (M246). Otherwise you will be stuck with the same limitations of battery, buffer and so on.

The price dropped quite a lot over the last year...i saw them goin for less than 3k...

I just bought mine for £2550 in mint condition supposedly. Let’s see.

I love the m8. Sold it and bought it back within 6 months. 

Edited by costa43
  • Like 1

That is incredible, what a steal! I bought mine in Dec 2020 from the Leica store for £3k in really immaculate conditions...

How do you find the camera, are you enjoying it? Files are pretty amazing when you compare it to the 18MP predecessor...

Edited by jonnyboy

3 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

That is incredible, what a steal! I bought mine in Dec 2020 from the Leica store for £3k in really immaculate conditions...

How do you find the camera, are you enjoying it? Files are pretty amazing when you compare it to the 18MP predecessor...

It will not arrive till Wednesday but I have high hopes! Looking forward to testing it next weekend. 

• Like 1