Sell ME and M9M to fund M11M?

AceVentura1986

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, Jeff S said:

Can’t speak to any M11 variant (no interest), but my typically smallish prints  from my M10M and M10-R are just as sharp as those using my former M9M and M8.2, at similar settings and conditions.  If the M11 is different, just another reason for my lack of interest.

Jeff

A used M10M is still an option, and a substantially less expensive one at that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close the circle, I bought an M10M instead of the M11M. Forty mpx is plenty while still allowing for hand holding when I drag the shutter at around 1/45 of a sec. Don’t think I can do that consistently w an M11M. Sure, I’d like the extras of an M11, but, really, they’re not necessary for me and the extra US$4,000 I saved is significant. I could buy a used Noctilux w that, not that I ever would tho. LOL. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Alan Schaller’s latest you-tube presentation shows him using an M10 Monochrom, rather than the M11 Monochrom that he had previously promoted. (I am not saying that the M11 he used, during the promotional period, was his personal property. The M11 he was using, in the promotional video, was likely a pre-production camera, owned by Leica.) Matt Stewart, who also appears in the same presentation, is using an M10-P, so, also M10-series, but with 24MP. Here is the presentation, in which Alan Schaller is using an M10 Monochrom:

As already advised, in at least one reply post, I would hesitate to exchange two known-reliable M cameras, for an M11. (I do not own an M9-/ME-series M camera, nor any established personal opinion on the M11-series, so, my ego has no stake in the matter.)

Regarding resolution, I still own and use DSLR cameras, some with ~47MP and ~50MP sensors, but my most-used DSLRs, my pair* of Nikon D5 cameras, have 20MP sensors. My somewhat older Nikon D4s has a 16MP sensor, which is usually plenty adequate, itself. So, my M10 original version, and M Type 246 Monochrom, are “high-resolution,” at 24MP.

*I bought this pair of action-shooting cameras when I still thought that my wife and I were going to do some serious traveling, in pursuit of birds and wildlife, after we retired. In actual reality, her intense interest in nature photography has been channeled to plants, fungi, insects, arachnids, and other wee beasties. Documenting local species is now her passion. My D5 cameras’ shutters should last for the rest of my lifetime. Their tremendously capable AF is not wasted, however, because small creatures can be every bit as challenging as birds, to capture and keep in-focus.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Thanks 1

Well, to reopen the circle a bit, I returned the M10 because it significantly front focused; the rangefinder was clearly out of alignment. I had thought to calibrate it myself (tho I’ve never done that, it seems simple enough) but was afraid that I might void the warranty. 

Anyway, the vendor offered to send the other unit it had in stock, which it rated slightly better at 9+ over the older unit’s 9 rating. I should take delivery by Thursday of this week, just in time for Christmas. 

On another note, I agree w @RexGig0 that 24 mpx is probably enough for most people, myself included. However, I also feel that the ME and M9M will continue to depreciate and may eventually fail. At some point, I will be unable to sell them at all. This has happened to me w older Canon cameras that are now just worthless. Anyone want to buy my old Canon 1D2? LOL. 

I just feel the time to upgrade is now and while I would’ve preferred an M10 w a 24 mpx sensor, we must deal w the cameras on the market not the ones we wish were on the market. As such, the choice for me is M10M or M11M. Of the two, I’ll take the M10M for all the reasons stated above. 

Edited by AceVentura1986
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to close the circle again, I took delivery of the M10M and just love it. The camera has all the M9M’s good stuff, but it’s way, way more refined and capable. I slotted a Sandisk 256GB SD card and now have 6,000+ shots in DNG. Wow. One of the issues I’ve always had w the M9M is the limitation on SD card size. I also love the shutter which sounds and feels like the one on my M3. Sweet. 

I made mention in my last post that I would’ve preferred an M10 w 24 mpx. What I meant was that I would’ve preferred am M10 Monochrom in 24 mpx. While I love the 40mpx I have, I do think for most purposes, it’s overkill. 

So now what to do w my M9 and M9M? Think I’m gonna sell them, maybe as a set, and either recoup some(maybe most) of the money from my purchase or, maybe, pick up a used M10 w only 24mpx to give me color capability. Maybe. We’ll see. 

Anyway, thanks to all who commented in this post. 

• Like 2