Quirky things the M11 manual does not tell you

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, sebben said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks. However, this does not mention dual-conversion gain points and all the details that you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, sebben said:

Read my original post, link to source. 

Just saw that you updated your post, thanks. We'll be watching it. I wish they would not speak over each other and so fast :(.

Edited by SrMi

Just now, sebben said:

I believe what they mean by that is that is has two base ISOs like many sensors do these days. Very common in Panasonic and Sony cameras. 

https://sonycine.com/articles/dual-base-iso-explained/

That is called Dual Conversion Gain (DCG). However, Sony has licensed Aptina's patent for DCG. If that is not a Sony sensor, then they may need a different name :). It is strange that DR of ISO 64 is not higher than DR of ISO 200.

Thanks again for reporting it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I'm just using the terminology that Leica used.

The DR may be distributed differently between ISO 64 and ISO 200 so this would need to be tested.
My guess is that 64 has more shadow stops and 200 more highlights.

Edited by sebben
  • Thanks 1

From a close reading of the manual (on Leica UK) I see no mention of perspective correction, which was  the result of some effort in an M10 late firmware release, and also relied upon some Adobe cooperation.  If there s a pattern, it is SL2 firmware and function replacing older M-series approaches  Something similar has happened to the level indicator, which was too small to read in the M10 version and nicer in the SL family.  I think I would like to see perspective correction retained.  How do others feel?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

52 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

From a close reading of the manual (on Leica UK) I see no mention of perspective correction, which was  the result of some effort in an M10 late firmware release, and also relied upon some Adobe cooperation.  If there s a pattern, it is SAL2 firmware and function replacing older M-series approaches  Something similar has happened to the level indicator, which was too small to read in the M10 version and nicer in the SL family.  I think IO would loike to see perspective correction retained.  How do others feel?

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I have actually been asking about PD chargers here a few days ago, few people seem to know what they are. I thing it should be fine BUT to be treaded with caution.

When I got the M11 I charged one battery with the Leica power charger and a second battery inside the M11 with my Sherpa 100AC Goal Zero power bank (output is 60W x 2 or 100W). The Goal Zero charged the battery with no issue and with a similar time as the Leica charger (around 3h + if I reckon ); the output indicated was 8W... no issue / side effects since Wednesday.

Edited by Hanno
  • Thanks 3

Formatting the internal memory and the memory card?  IIRC, with the SL, formatting the memory card creates a folder with a new number  The initial folder is numbered 100, after formatting there is a folder 101, then 102, etc.  On the M11 is this still true and does it also apply to formatting of the internal memory?

You would think that combining the signals from four pixels (a simplified version of what Leica does with their 18 MPx small DNG files) would increase the signal to noise separation by another stop, since that is what happens when you perform an experiment four times and average the uncorrelated results.  But there is a problem with that simple view of "pixel-binning." If each pixel were capable of, say , capturing 16 bits of actual data, and the scene really had interesting information over that range, then averaging four pixels before reducing the answer to the 14 bit range that can be fit into the output file would give a stop of improvement.  But the pixels are not capable of much more than 14 bits of signal range.  They cut off highlights and  have a noise floor.  The signal we're trying to recover from shadows or highlights may simply not be there because it is cut off at each pixel.  That may be why no one is reporting much improvement in dynamic range in the reduced, "binned" settings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, icon80 said:

I had searched for hours for the manual until I saw this link.  As far as I can tell, it is  the only place you can access the manual.  Was very frustrating.

maybe because it is for version 1.01 and our cameras shipped with v1.02?...and they are revising some sections. You wouldn't think a .0x change would make that much of a difference, but possibly there were other errors they are addressing too. Does seem odd that a manual wasn't linked on US site at launch

On 1/14/2022 at 2:43 PM, Al Brown said:

This is how the new EVF looks on my M10-R.
It will be backwards compatible somewhere around Q2 (or maybe Q3) 2022 with new firmware update BUT there is a catch - as M10 only does 2.4mpix output, the inside viewfinder image  (which reminds me of those small Sony Watchman TVs) will be of smaller size (not stretched edge-to-edge in lower resolution). This information comes straight from Leica, maybe they figure out something in between.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow, that Visoflex is H-U-G-E!