Quirky things the M11 manual does not tell you

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Haha, actually yes, purely given I understood them to be identically sized bodies! I was hoping it would fit, (1) to benefit from a tidy integration of grip + Arca style plate, which I’d find very useful and (2) be “future proof” with one bit of hardware if i ever got an M11 later on. 

But what would happen to the sales of M10 grips then? One cannot cannibalize their own products, even though it would be in great interest and benefit to the users. Money talks.

Edited by Al Brown

14 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Speaking of things the manual doesn't tell you, has anyone seen a printed manual?  So far on ly the quickstart is online, and I haVEN'T FOUND A LINK TO THE PDF OF THE WHOLE MANUE=AL.

It is most certainly online. The link is called "Leica M11 - Instructions".
FULL MANUAL ENGLISH (under DOWNLOADS): https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/leica-m11-black
FULL MANUAL GERMAN (under DOWNLOADS): https://store.leica-camera.com/de/de/leica-m11-schwarz

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks.  It's nice that the file title includes the firmware level that is described..  Maybe these will be kept up.

Reading the part about recovering fiies from internal storage, it's clear that this either retrieval all files on the internal disk or a starred subset of them.  And for connecting with an external computer over USB, only PTP  (or the Apple equivalent, labelled MFI) will let you connect to an app which offers image selection.

What the information/specs does not tell me is: are there microprisms, or is the double coverglass the only thing?

There were quite some odd lenses relying on the micro things like deep embodied wide angles. Not much mention either of old lenses we all have amassed by now.

Edited by Alberti

11 minutes ago, Alberti said:

What the information/specs does not tell me is: are there microprisms, or is the double coverglass the only thing?

There were quite some odd lenses relying on the micro things like deep embodied wide angles. Not much mention either of old lenses we all have amassed by now.

Actually a great question. Maybe even worth an email to leica Customer Care.

20 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Let me start: here is the world's first image in any forum of the Leica M11 being successfuly charged from a regular 10.000mAh powerbank.You can see that it is charging because the little green light by the battery eject/card slot access lever is lit. I hear you can switch these lights off as well in the camera.

Then the question is: do you dare to put the other side in a 110Watt PD charger? I heard the S5 can be plugged to it. [Actually, that is what I use for the charger] But I have no PD-cable monitor to see if it pumps in 10V/5A but is eems to be faster.

Edited by Alberti

2 hours ago, Alberti said:

Then the question is: do you dare to put the other side in a 110Watt PD charger? I heard the S5 can be plugged to it. [Actually, that is what I use for the charger] But I have no PD-cable monitor to see if it pumps in 10V/5A but is eems to be faster.

I have actually been asking about PD chargers here a few days ago, few people seem to know what they are. I thing it should be fine BUT to be treaded with caution.

8 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Haha, actually yes, purely given I understood them to be identically sized bodies! I was hoping it would fit, (1) to benefit from a tidy integration of grip + Arca style plate, which I’d find very useful and (2) be “future proof” with one bit of hardware if i ever got an M11 later on. 

I tried my RRS on it and its infuriatingly close to working. The profile fits fine, but the repositioning of the tripod screw, but what seems to be only a couple of mm's means that it wont work. One could presumable rout a channel for the screw to slide over, but I'm not inclined to give that a try. 

• Thanks 1

The EVF runs at 60hz, drops to 30hz in low light or lower if needed.

Dual Pixel gain

1st base ISO is 64. 

2nd base ISO is 200. No difference in colour or dynamic range between them. No noise.

Basically noise free until ISO 800, due to the new image processor and developments. 

Very small changes have been made to the optical viewfinder, notably the frame lines have been tweaked and refined. Easier to tell the frame lines apart for the different focal lengths.

Perspective correction will come in the next firmware (probably Februrary)

Much better workflow with the Fotos app, lots of refinements so you can shoot without interruption as the app is simultaneously used to preview images.  

If you take the lens off when the camera is on the shutter will stay open like on the SL. It will only close if you turn the camera off.

Basically all M lenses fit now that the shutter blade meter has been removed. Like the LEICA 21mm f/4 LEITZ SUPER-ANGULON etc. 

Very good demo of the new lengthened shutter sound at the 1/125s which is the middle of the shutter range. They say it’s not louder than the M10P/M10R, just longer.

https://youtu.be/irMQnKg1aEs?t=3658

time stamp: 1.00:58

Can't say if a M11D is planned

🥺

Can't say if there will be a silver version of the EVF or cables.

Sounds like it has better high iso performance than the SL2 and if you need more then the M10M is the way to go.

You don't really need to take the SD card out of the camera as the card is recognised by the computer over USB-C, so just plug in the camera directly.

You can't plug a USB drive into the camera but you can over course charge via power bank.

You can only split the file types like this. DNG on internal. JPG on SD card. Not the other way around. This may be changed with a firmware update if enough people contact Leica.

Source: 

Edited by sebben
Adding points
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, sebben said:

The EVF runs at 60hz, drops to 30hz in low light or lower if needed.

Dual Pixel gain

1st base ISO is 64. 

2nd base ISO is 200. No difference in colour or dynamic range between them. No noise.

Basically noise free until ISO 800, due to the new image processor and developments. 

Can you share the source? You probably meant dual-conversion gain instead of dual pixel gain.

This would indicate that it is not a Sony sensor.

Edited by SrMi

2 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Can you share the source? You probably meant dual-conversion gain instead of dual pixel gain.