Quirky things the M11 manual does not tell you

Al Brown

Let me start: here is the world's first image in any froum of the Leica M11 being successfuly charged from a regular 10.000mAh powerbank.You can see that it is charging because the little green light by the battery eject/card slot access lever is lit. I hear you can switch these lights off as well in the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

As you can see, you can also quite seamlessly charge the M11 battery inside a charger from a power bank, for example while having it in your pocket and shooting with another battery in camera.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 4

The updated FOTOS app 3.0.0 is fast and responsive, virtually immediate while being connected with the cable to the Leica M11. You can of course use it to trigger the camera. You can also hand the connected device to a client as an external monitor (think large ipad) or use it yourself. The good part: both camera display AND external device display the image simultaneously.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is how the new EVF looks on my M10-R.
It will be backwards compatible somewhere around Q2 (or maybe Q3) 2022 with new firmware update BUT there is a catch - as M10 only does 2.4mpix output, the inside viewfinder image  (which reminds me of those small Sony Watchman TVs) will be of smaller size (not stretched edge-to-edge in lower resolution). This information comes straight from Leica, maybe they figure out something in between.

• Like 3

And finally, I have exchanged the batteries of black and silver M11 bodies for all you good people to ponder. Maybe a new trend is starting? Share your thoughts.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder it they ever make a M11 handgrip  attachment like they do for the m10 they make a bottom plate with wireless charging. Perhaps a wireless docking station with passthrough USBC?? Allowing for more streamlined workflow instead of messy cables....just saying. Following from apple's design philosophy.

8 minutes ago, cboy said:

I wonder it they ever make a M11 handgrip  attachment like they do for the m10 they make a bottom plate with wireless charging. Perhaps a wireless docking station with passthrough USBC?? Allowing for more streamlined workflow instead of messy cables....just saying. Following from apple's design philosophy.

Oh thanks for reminding me... the bottom plate of the new M11 grip is rubber 😄 so one can access the battery eject button, battery and usb port. But it is a Leica proprietary design and includes the arca swiss attachment built in.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

And finally, I have exchanged the batteries of black and silver M11 bodies for all you good people to ponder. Maybe a new trend is starting? Share your thoughts.

Please switch the lens as well and then post a pic :)

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Al Brown said:

The M11 Al Brown Zebra edition!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cboy said:

What are your thoughts on the evf blackout? YouTuber Benj Haisch seem to mention it in his first hands on preview of it.

Great question. I tested in controlled conditions and it felt  "normal", something you would expect from an external EVF, you know, "not great, not terrible" but all in all better than all the older ones. I must say I did not test with electronic shutter, just mechanical.
The EVF would have to be field tested during actual weddings though, not just from a hypothetical standpoint. There is no ideal external EVF solution from Leica.

One quirk everyone is overlooking is how tricky the EVF stabilizing actually is - makes you fall in your comfort zone forgetting to steady the camera and you quickly get blurry exposures with 50mm and up.

Benj OTOH is also worried about exposed USB-C, but all android users have exposed USB ports on their phones and threat them much worse than a M11 would be treated without real problems...

Edited by Al Brown

10 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Oh thanks for reminding me... the bottom plate of the new M11 grip is rubber 😄 so one can access the battery eject button, battery and usb port. But it is a Leica proprietary design and includes the arca swiss attachment built in.

Clearly some of these features aren’t needed for the M10 ….but any idea if the new M11 grip will mount onto an M10, so that one can at least benefit from the Arca attachment? 

7 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Clearly some of these features aren’t needed for the M10 ….but any idea if the new M11 grip will mount onto an M10, so that one can at least benefit from the Arca attachment? 

Did you even for a second think it to be possible 😉 ?

6 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Did you even for a second think it to be possible 😉 ?

Haha, actually yes, purely given I understood them to be identically sized bodies! I was hoping it would fit, (1) to benefit from a tidy integration of grip + Arca style plate, which I’d find very useful and (2) be “future proof” with one bit of hardware if i ever got an M11 later on. 

Edited by Jon Warwick