What bag to carry the M-11 in?

jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, DoubleE said:

I just bought a Domke F-6.  It seems pretty all around excellent, though maybe slightly too large for an M system.  I almost always have other stuff with me when I’m bringing the M along, so actually it’s about the perfect size for me.  It won’t fit an iPad, though, and also won’t fit a water bottle so in fact not that perfect.  I still like it.  Has that quality of being very accessible while still protecting your gear—Domke has nailed that aspect better than any other bag I’ve tried.  I also ordered a Domke F1-x which is one of their bigger bags.  My plan is to replace the Think Tank backpack that currently holds my Sony A7S III which is the camera I use for my professional videography (if client won’t rent me an Alexa or Red).  I’m kind of over theThink Tank system, I want more flexibility and less pockets…  

I like the domke style... they don't hold up to well in the rain, and the unit slip rubber from the straps is crumbling of like snow. not a good look on a white shirt.

7 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I like the domke style... they don't hold up to well in the rain, and the unit slip rubber from the straps is crumbling of like snow. not a good look on a white shirt.

That concerns me.  Maybe they’ve switched to lower quality materials since the early days.  My last Domke, bought in the late 1980s, lasted for at least 10 years of hard use.  Haiti, Middle East, NYC Fashion Week… It did eventually deteriorate, but if my new one holds up that long I’ll be fine with it.  I think of it as a portable work station.  I usually set it down on a cart or the ground, with the lid open if possible.  I try to keep my gear out of the rain mostly, but if I’m forced to work in marine or other wet situations I switch to Pelican cases.  Less convenient, but totally waterproof. I’m told they float, but thankfully I have not had a chance to witness that.

I've owned Domkes for the past 40 years, including two within the last year, and the quality is the same.  They may not be as waterproof or elegant as a Fogg or Billingham, but they are incredibly practical and easy to work out of.  I carried an F2 throughout Europe in the 1970s and it hugs the body in a way that is comfortable and doesn't slow you down.  With camera bags, there are always going to be tradeoffs between comfort, capacity, and protection and it's only in the latter area where a Domke falls short.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 12:46 PM, JohnFM said:

I've owned Domkes for the past 40 years, including two within the last year, and the quality is the same.  They may not be as waterproof or elegant as a Fogg or Billingham, but they are incredibly practical and easy to work out of.  I carried an F2 throughout Europe in the 1970s and it hugs the body in a way that is comfortable and doesn't slow you down.  With camera bags, there are always going to be tradeoffs between comfort, capacity, and protection and it's only in the latter area where a Domke falls short.

They do pretty well at keeping beer cold, too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DoubleE
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

^ There's always room for something else in a Domke -- whether it's beer or a sweater.

Not for everyone who wants to travel very light, but the bags conform so well to the body that even a 'loaded' Domke is pretty comfortable.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Arrived today.
  • Like 11

Like the silver M11 mated to the f1 Noctilux, the weight is noticeable. Similarly, after holding this hand made work of art and seeing the quality of the materials used in fabrication, it magically seemed to feel lighter!  

The verdict is still out for me as I don't know whether to hang it on the wall in my living room or use it as intended.  Glad to know old world type craftsmanship still exists - for a hefty price of course.

Here's a link with more information. https://www.leica-camera.blog/2014/12/15/simone-schedoni-leica-meets-schedoni-to-create-unique-items/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aintchu9 said:

Like the silver M11 mated to the f1 Noctilux, the weight is noticeable. Similarly, after holding this hand made work of art and seeing the quality of the materials used in fabrication, it magically seemed to feel lighter!  

The verdict is still out for me as I don't know whether to hang it on the wall in my living room or use it as intended.  Glad to know old world type craftsmanship still exists - for a hefty price of course.

Here's a link with more information. https://www.leica-camera.blog/2014/12/15/simone-schedoni-leica-meets-schedoni-to-create-unique-items/

Yes it looks fantastic, I like the separation for the iPad which looks stiff and therefore pretty decent protection.

Edited by idusidusi

On 6/26/2022 at 6:12 AM, aintchu9 said:

Out of curiosity, do you like the black grip on your silver m? 
nice bag, love the craftsmanship 

18 hours ago, SrMi said:

The smallest M11 bag I have is the Peak Design Everyday Sling 6L. It fits M11 with 35mm mounted, 24mm and 50mm in one slot, and 75 or 90mm in the third slot.

I have the 3L Sling.  Too tight to easily use with my Q2 but a better fit for my M11 with 50mm Summicron attached. Could also accommodate another small lens. I use it when I don’t want or need the extra size of my Hadley One Pro 2020. Both excellent bags though