What bag to carry the M-11 in?

jdlaing

I just purchased the Hardgraft Quintessence Pack.   https://www.hardgraft.com/collections/coal-black/products/quintessencepack-black

It is very small but fits the M11 and a small (e.g. APO 50O spare lens.  Very comfortable to carry and use.  In addition, I am now using it as general carry bag for wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses, etc. when not using it for my camera.  It looks great, is secure and doesn’t look like a camera bag.

They make a larger bag, the All-Rounder Pack, which I also have and enjoy using.   https://www.hardgraft.com/collections/coal-black/products/allrounder-blackcoated   This bag is twice the size of the Quintessence and is ideal for my M11 and a couple of lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, idusidusi said:

Thought I had never heard of 'Alice':

NO LONGER PRODUCED. The Alice bag was produced between 1997 and 2001, It was then renamed to the L2.

• Waterproof canvas and top grain leather.
• Quick release rainflap.
• Wide adjustable shoulder sling.
• Padded main compartment with fully adjustable partitions
• Optional end pocket system
• Available in Khaki or Black with Tan trim

The closest replacement for this bag is the Billingham S3

I had one made special order last year, in black, but they've stopped doing this at the moment.

I have too many bags but I recently got yet another one for my new M11, and I think it's perfect as a casual everyday camera bag - the nano messenger from companion.

It fits M11 with Summicron-M 50mm attached, plus another lens (Summicron-M 35 mm), EVF, extra battery, some cash, and other small items. It's tiny, padded but not too padded, and with my load it fits pretty much all the same stuff as my ONA Berlin, only the nano is like three times smaller.

Even though ONA Berlin was marketed as the M-System camera bag, I find it too big for Leica M. But it is great for something like Sony A1 with 24-70 lens and some extra lenses and accessories. 

Edited by Segal
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Got this Zegna/Leica holster/strap today at a great price as it was last one to go with my f1 Noctilux & M11 that was assembled on April 22 & delivered stateside May 5.

FWIW, left it on driving to the office this afternoon & it didn’t obstruct at all. Actually, I noticed it rests perfect for a street shot while waiting at red light if desired.  For a relatively heavy M lens/camera combination the holster feels really comfortable and is super easy to access or disappear to the side or behind me under my blazer, that I’m rarely without, when necessary. 

Feels a bit like Christmas morning today. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/20/2022 at 3:10 PM, Appmax said:

I just purchased the Hardgraft Quintessence Pack.   https://www.hardgraft.com/collections/coal-black/products/quintessencepack-black

It is very small but fits the M11 and a small (e.g. APO 50O spare lens.  Very comfortable to carry and use.  In addition, I am now using it as general carry bag for wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses, etc. when not using it for my camera.  It looks great, is secure and doesn’t look like a camera bag.

They make a larger bag, the All-Rounder Pack, which I also have and enjoy using.   https://www.hardgraft.com/collections/coal-black/products/allrounder-blackcoated   This bag is twice the size of the Quintessence and is ideal for my M11 and a couple of lenses.

No offense intended - but it looks like one of these:  https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/billingham/products/billingham-hadley-digital-camera-bag-sage?variant=32453191860355

But smaller, and a little over twice the price.

Edited by Herr Barnack

58 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

No offense intended - but it looks like one of these:  https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/billingham/products/billingham-hadley-digital-camera-bag-sage?variant=32453191860355

But smaller, and a little over twice the price.

Very different bags.  I also have the Hadley bag as well.  Both are great.  The Hardgraft is leather, smaller, and is much more of a general carry bag that functions well as a camera bag.    The Hadley has more padding/protection.  

10 minutes ago, Appmax said:

Very different bags.  I also have the Hadley bag as well.  Both are great.  The Hardgraft is leather, smaller, and is much more of a general carry bag that functions well as a camera bag.    The Hadley has more padding/protection.  

Interesting.

In the photos, the strap looks like leather, but the pattern or texture of the finish on the bag had me convinced it was some type of synthetic material.

Edit

Upon further investigation, I see that the text says

...Made of a unique Italian thick waterproof coated cotton canvas...

Perhaps there are two versions of this bag?  One made of leather and the other made of the waterproof coated cotton canvas per the text in the linked page?

Edited by Herr Barnack

10 hours ago, aintchu9 said:

Got this Zegna/Leica holster/strap today at a great price as it was last one to go with my f1 Noctilux & M11 that was assembled on April 22 & delivered stateside May 5.

FWIW, left it on driving to the office this afternoon & it didn’t obstruct at all. Actually, I noticed it rests perfect for a street shot while waiting at red light if desired.  For a relatively heavy M lens/camera combination the holster feels really comfortable and is super easy to access or disappear to the side or behind me under my blazer, that I’m rarely without, when necessary. 

Feels a bit like Christmas morning today. 

A very posh one this is. But don't you think it is dangerous to have it on while driving? One collision and (in the best case) a few broken ribs.

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Interesting.

In the photos, the strap looks like leather, but the pattern or texture of the finish on the bag had me convinced it was some type of synthetic material.

Edit

Perhaps there are two versions of this bag?  One made of leather and the other made of the waterproof coated cotton canvas per the text in the linked page?

You are right - the bag is a coated canvas.  The larger option, which I also have, has leather on three sides.  The canvas is durable and nice looking.

it is true that there is no padding.   It is more over a cover.  However, that makes the bag much smaller (see below) and more useful as a multipurpose bag for everyday use when not being used as a camera bag.   Because of its general use design, it doesn’t look like a camera bag which I like when traveling in crowds.  I also use it without my camera for my wallet, glasses, keys, etc.

For size comparison…

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Segal said:

I have too many bags but I recently got yet another one for my new M11, and I think it's perfect as a casual everyday camera bag - the nano messenger from companion.

It fits M11 with Summicron-M 50mm attached, plus another lens (Summicron-M 35 mm), EVF, extra battery, some cash, and other small items. It's tiny, padded but not too padded, and with my load it fits pretty much all the same stuff as my ONA Berlin, only the nano is like three times smaller.

Even though ONA Berlin was marketed as the M-System camera bag, I find it too big for Leica M. But it is great for something like Sony A1 with 24-70 lens and some extra lenses and accessories. 

Very beautiful and functional bag. It doesn't have a zipper which is great as I'm clumsy with gear.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, Hausen17 said:

I recently got the Wotancraft 10l Pilot and am loving it. M11 + WATE + VC35 + VC90 + Q2 + RRS Nodal slide + filters all fits nicely

I just got the 7L pilot, what a great little bag. Very different aesthetic compared to my Billingham bags.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Interesting.

Edit

The Billingham bags are offered in canvas or a synthetic material they call FibreNyte. Both are fully lined with rubber inserts that make them completely waterproof.

The canvas versions feel a little nicer, but they pick up and hold much more lint and pet hair than the synthetic versions. I highly recommend avoiding the black canvas unless you vacuum your house twice a day and own no pets :)

Some colors such as sage are only available as FibreNyte.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

The Billingham bags are offered in canvas or a synthetic material they call FibreNyte. Both are fully lined with rubber inserts that make them completely waterproof.

The canvas versions feel a little nicer, but they pick up and hold much more lint and pet hair than the synthetic versions. I highly recommend avoiding the black canvas unless you vacuum your house twice a day and own no pets :)

Some colors such as sage are only available as FibreNyte.

Indeed, and the black FibreNyte, which I use,  is more colorfast than the black canvas. This, according to the Billingham website…  

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 'CANVAS' AND 'FIBRENYTE'?

In simple terms ‘Canvas’ or ‘FibreNyte’ refers to top layer of fabric on our bags - the facecloth.

‘Canvas’ is a mix of cotton and polyester. ‘FibreNyte’ is completely synthetic. Canvas is hard-wearing, FibreNyte is very hard-wearing.

Both fabrics are bonded to a non-wicking polyester backing fabric, with a middle layer of butyl rubber. This rubber layer makes both fabrics equally and very waterproof. Water cannot get through that rubber layer.

Canvas is slightly softer to the touch whereas FibreNyte is slightly rougher to the touch.

If you would prefer your bag to age gracefully with a vintage look, our recommendation would be to choose Canvas. This is particularly true of people who choose our ‘Khaki Canvas’ fabric as this looks particularly lovely as it ages.

If you would prefer your bag to stay looking newer for longer, or if you are going to be working your bag hard, filling it, hiking, using very frequently etc. then FibreNyte would be a better option. We especially recommend FibreNyte if you are considering purchasing a black bag, as this will stay colourfast. Sage FibreNyte is one of our most popular colours.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, Appmax said:

You are right - the bag is a coated canvas.  The larger option, which I also have, has leather on three sides.  The canvas is durable and nice looking.

it is true that there is no padding.   It is more over a cover.  However, that makes the bag much smaller (see below) and more useful as a multipurpose bag for everyday use when not being used as a camera bag.   Because of its general use design, it doesn’t look like a camera bag which I like when traveling in crowds.  I also use it without my camera for my wallet, glasses, keys, etc.

For size comparison…

Here is an alternative that I have, the Filson Small Field Bag:  https://www.filson.com/bags-luggage/briefcases-messengers/small-rugged-twill-field-bag.html#sku=11070230-fco-000971914

It is not a padded bag, but the twill material is very thick.  It protects well against minor bumps and bangs.  I put a layer of closed cell foam in the bottom to protect against accidental drops that would possibly knock the rangefinder of my M cameras out of alignment.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Keeping’ it simple with the Ona Bowery and the double lens cap thingy that Josh and David from Leica Store Miami recommended (thanks guys)! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, augustwest100 said:

I wish one side of the Bowery could stretch enough to squeeze a water bottle on the outside. That’s my only real issue. I’m so used to shooting with one camera and one lens that when I bring a few extra lenses with me I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I just bought an Oberwerth Q Backpack, it has an M11 + lens + 135mm + iPad and I haven't figured out what else could fit other than umbrella and spare battery. Comfortable and a small backpack and well thought out. Not overly heavy leather either.

The Billingham bags are undoubtedly great. Beautifully made, watertight, reliable. I have the small Hadley Pro, and I would always use that for any sort of travel. But because it's so solidly constructed, it's heavy, even with nothing in it.

So if I'm just wandering around town, I'll use my ThinkTank Retrospective 5. Surprised nobody else has given this bag a shout. It's light, unobtrusive, nobody can even decide if it's grey, or if it's dull green. The manufacturer calls the colour 'Pinestone'. It's a bag that nobody looks twice at. It's made of canvas, has a decent padded base, a big front pocket, zip compartment at the back, plenty of space for a Leica M, a few lenses, accessories, and more.

I've had mine since 2010, used it in all weather conditions. Never lets me down.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1