What bag to carry the M-11 in?

jdlaing

British readers of a certain age may recall CCS - Camera Care Systems, who in the 80's and 90's made a great range of belt mounted pouches and other stand alone bags from instantly recognisable blue cordura.

I still have one of their bags, which carried my M6 and lenses all around SEA for 7 months many moons ago and has housed my now 20 year old Ultravid bins most recently. Since getting the M10R I may re-purpose it for Leica again.

It isn't super subtle though, which might deter me these days.

I have a matching set of Billinghams in black canvas with brown leather - a 445 and a Hadley One. To be honest, both are larger than I am looking for these days so I might get a matching Billingham S2. I think it is more or less the same as the official Billingham Leica, but has a zip closure (that tucks out of the way when you are working very well) which is more secure in these days of pickpockets etc.

Or I might try and get a Fogg before they disappear as I fear they will.

Edited by Kiwimac

On 4/22/2022 at 3:45 AM, didier said:

a picture may be worth more than words…

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I find it a bit tight for 2 bodies, but it works. And perfect with 1 body and 2 or 3 lenses :) 

How stiff are those Satchmo bags? Do they conform to the body when carried or are they like leather boxes on straps?

Seems there at least three types of bags and they all have their place. Leather bags as above, which are a joy to own and use, The leather trim canvas Ala Billingham (same I'm sure), and the more utilitarian one as the Nomadic above and the PD offerings. To me the last category are by far the most versatile. They are fairly inexpensive, light, very well designed and provide great weather protection. I would never take 2nd or 3rd type on a hike or even to an urban setting to shoot street stuff or urban landscape. Some of those are very pretentious and scream "tourist with expensive stuff". Perhaps best suited for storage or plane/train/boat traveling.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

I am not terribly keen on sling bags myself. Being built for comfort rather than speed, it isn't a style that suits me!

The Nomatic and Peak Design sling bags are carried as regular messenger bags. At least that is what I do with my Peak Design 6L that fits M11 with mounted Visoflex and lens, as well as at least two to three more lenses on the sides (depending on lens size).

Edited by SrMi

I also have a PD3 and it will hold two bodies with half cases and 35 and 50 Summiluxes. Not much else and you have wrap the strap around the lens to get things to fit, but tiny kit. Perfect for one body and spare lens, phone glasses.

Edited by Rob L
  • Like 1

I decided to get a Fogg Lyre last night. 

Robert White have a small few Foggs in stock although colours are limited. 

I have a feeling that, following bee’s sad passing, we might not see too many new bags for quite a long time. 

I decided to get one whilst I could. 

• Like 1

I own a number of Billingham bags. I love them, don't scream photo gear, and last forever.

My favorite for the M11 is the Hadley Pro 2020 if I'm traveling and have to carry my 11" iPad and a notebook. I can easily carry a few M lens, but these days, I only shoot with the 35mm on my M11. 

To keep my M11 in the car while driving to an outing, I use my Hadley Small. It fits the M11 and has room for a few lens, but not much else. When I get to my destination, I just carry my M11 on an Up Strap, ready to shoot.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:25 AM, LeicaS2 said:

Here's the exterior view of the Leica Society International Bag designed by Brad Husick President, International Leica Society

Other photos by others on this thread

hi @LeicaS2, is this the Leo Correspondent bag? Lately i've been thinking this bag a lot and would really like to see how it look when carried by a person. Unfortunately i couldn't find any picture online.

Would you be kind enough to share some photo of how you use this bag?

Thanks so much

On 4/11/2022 at 10:44 PM, budjames said:

My vote is for Billingham. I own several, but the Hadley Pro 2020 is my goto travel bag. It’s with me right now in the UK holding my new M11 in black.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Is the Hadley 2020 fit a macbook pro 14”?

Best,Marc

10 hours ago, DrM said:

Is the Hadley 2020 fit a macbook pro 14”?

Best,Marc

Yes, my M1 MacBook Pro 14" fits in just fine.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

• Like 1

louis vuitton christopher backpack

Leica M11 - 35mm 1.4 FLE - Leica Grip 

• Like 1

On the cheap side, I have bought a Sirui MyStory 13 and it's brilliant. I think it's discontinued but there a few available here and there.

Sirui MyStory 13 Camera Bag Version 1 (Dark Tan) (bhphotovideo.com)

Plenty of space, maybe too much for only one body and two M lenses but it's ok for me. It's not too bulky and I like that a padded tablet space is available (OK for an IPAD pro 12.9).

With street crime and muggings being rampant in major cities these days, one cannot be too careful. 

Therefore, carrying your mega costly M11 and lens in one of these is prudent and near mandatory:  https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1464275 

Whatever you do - do not attach a costly leather strap to it and carry it cross-body; it would be a dead giveaway. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 3

My Fogg Lyre arrived today from Robert White in the UK.

As with all Fogg bags, the quality is impeccable. A twinge of sadness on seeing bee's handwriting on the label, never to be repeated.

The bag is ideal for what I wanted; it will carry one M body with a Summilux 50 attached (or smaller) and a couple of other lenses of similar size or smaller, or one larger one (135 etc). It also has space for your wallet, keys and a small notebook or what have you. It is compact and unobtrusive and will also serve as a man bag with no camera if that is your need on a particular day. Would also carry a decent pair of binoculars (eg Zeiss SF, Swarovski EL etc) instead of the camera stuff.

It's not the bag to carry 3 bodies, 9 lenses, a 16" laptop and all that - and neither did I want it for that. I have many (many!) others in the cupboard for that, not least of which is a Billingham 445.

If you want a day bag for a compact kit, I recommend it. 

Get one while you can though. I am not sure whether Nigel will feel able to continue the production as a solo venture (although I hope so). They are very special bags.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

My Fogg Lyre arrived today from Robert White in the UK.

As with all Fogg bags, the quality is impeccable. A twinge of sadness on seeing bee's handwriting on the label, never to be repeated.

I also received a Fogg Lyre last week and l like it very much. I place the M with lens attached on one side and my small pouch with personal items on the other side. In the back pocket I have an iPad mini, and while it sticks out a little, it’s quite workable.  If only I could have the Lyre with backpack straps it would be perfect!

• Like 1