What's in your Leica M10 camera bag?

LBJ2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some of you already know the outside of my bag, but I think no one has ever seen all the contents. It surprised me also a little. When I put it on the table, my wife was surprised that it all came out of my bag. 

Sometimes the lenses and camera differ (Leica M 240 instead of MP, 24, 35, 90, 21, )  but the rest is a permanent resident. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

And everything back in the bag...

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Some of you already know the outside of my bag, but I think no one has ever seen all the contents. It surprised me also a little. When I put it on the table, my wife was surprised that it all came out of my bag. 

Sometimes the lenses and camera differ (Leica M 240 instead of MP, 24, 35, 90, 21, )  but the rest is a permanent resident. 

Looks like that bag has some very interesting stories to tell too!

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Some of you already know the outside of my bag, but I think no one has ever seen all the contents.

Hi Paulus,

If/when you come over to the UK (after travel etc, has eased up) for your own safety please remember to leave the knife in your hotel room.  In case you didn't know, it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade of 3 inches or more in public (and that includes in a bag as well as in a pocket) and it carries a mandatory 4-year prison sentence.  

You can't even carry a folding multi-tool like a Victorinox or a Leatherman if it has a 3-inch blade. 

The police here don't ask questions, they just arrest the person because there have been so many stabbing deaths in the London and other cities over the past few years.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 57 Minuten schrieb farnz:

Hi Paulus,

If/when you come over to the UK (after travel etc, has eased up) for your own safety please remember to leave the knife in your hotel room.  In case you didn't know, it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade of 3 inches or more in public (and that includes in a bag as well as in a pocket) and it carries a mandatory 4-year prison sentence.  

You can't even carry a folding multi-tool like a Victorinox or a Leatherman if it has a 3-inch blade. 

The police here don't ask questions, they just arrest the person because there have been so many stabbing deaths in the London and other cities over the past few years.

Pete.

I know Pete, 

Every time I go abroad I look up the rules for different countries and you cannot believe the difference in rules between even EU countries. In general in The Netherlands the rules are quite clear. You can use knives as a tool, properly stashed away in a three -part- system. ( Sheet, cover, bag ). Still you need a good reason to carry it in public transport, city center or places appointed as " forbidden zones" in cities. 

Once I forgot to take the knife out of my bag, when I was in Brussels ( Zaventem )  airport because, my son just called if I could taxi him from the airport to Tilburg . Just before I was photographing in the woods so I drove straight to the airport. 

I ran into a control walking into the airport arrival hall. There were extra safety measures taken and had to put my bag into the x-ray machine ( it was after the terrorist bombs in Zaventem airport ).  Before putting the bag in, I showed the knife and a Victorinox" nomad" multi-tool folder  ( 8,5 cm blade )  also in the bag at the time, to the guards at the gate. Telling them of the woods  saying: " I think I'll walk back to the car and put them away."  " All right sir, " they said. " It's better that way, because we have no means to put them away in the time you collect your son...."  

I think in London they wouldn't be so forgiven.. 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I think in London they wouldn't be so forgiven.. 

I went through security at St Pancras to board EuroStar for a trip to Paris and my camera bag was in my smaller roller bag with some clothes etc.  After the bag went through the scanner I was pulled aside because they'd found a knife in my luggage.  What they'd found was a folding knife with a 1-inch blade that I use to cut the film leaders for my IIIg.  I wasn't shooting film on that trip but the tiny knife always lives in my camera bag so it's there when I need it.  

They confiscated the tiny knife.  I'm not sure what they thought I was going to do with a 1-inch blade on EuroStar - it's not as if I could hijack the train to Cuba and I suspect that most people would just laugh rather than be frightened if threatened with it.

Pete.

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Minuten schrieb farnz:

I went through security at St Pancras to board EuroStar for a trip to Paris and my camera bag was in my smaller roller bag with some clothes etc.  After the bag went through the scanner I was pulled aside because they'd found a knife in my luggage.  What they'd found was a folding knife with a 1-inch blade that I use to cut the film leaders for my IIIg.  I wasn't shooting film on that trip but the tiny knife always lives in my camera bag so it's there when I need it.  

They confiscated the tiny knife.  I'm not sure what they thought I was going to do with a 1-inch blade on EuroStar - it's not as if I could hijack the train to Cuba and I suspect that most people would just laugh rather than be frightened if threatened with it.

Pete.

You know Pete, 

it's not the knife which is assessed, it's the person.. 😁 . 

• Haha 2

This may be taking MINIMAL to the Max?

I just returned to the M system since selling my M9 in 2010 and had converted full time to the S system back then.

But I added back to M with the M10M as I found myself converting to  B&W 80% of the time.

An M allows me to carry a similar range of lenses I have for the S, but in a much smaller size. I admittedly give up AF and weatherproofing.

I looked around for something tiny from my past to carry  the M, a small 21mm. a small 50mm, and a 90mm collapsible macro. With the high ISO availability with the M10M the lenses no longer need to be fast so they can be quite small. I wanted bag compactness, and found an old 5"x7"x1.5" Gara Gear bag. Sorry this is no longer made. I bought it years ago for an M6.

Basically, this tiny bag holds more than what I am showing. It has room for an extra battery. I separate the lenses from the camera with a large folded micro fiber cloth. The 21mm finder was left over from my past days too. It can stay on the camera in the bag, but then the camera has to be flipped upside-down.

Usually when I am out, the camera is in my hand and the two lenses are in my pants or jacket pockets. But I can merely hang this beg from a belt. Then the camera is in my hand, and the extra lenses stay in the bottom of the bag.  The photo of the bag shows the ghost of lenses as if they were also inside.

I'm sure some of you can suggest a more modern bag of similar tiny proportions?

• Like 3

This is my everyday/walk-around kit.

Peak Design 5L bag

M10 with attached 50mm Nocti

35mm Summicron

21mm SEM

2 extra M10 batteries

Leica EVF (for Nocti)

Leather filter holder with various ND's and polarizers

Lens wipes

Micro fiber cloth

Anker iphone battery brick and cable

And I could probably fit a bit more in here if I wanted to. On days when I know I will be using my full kit (tripod, Lee Filter system, L-bracket, additional lens), I use a Peak Design backpack. 

• Like 4

I'll admit I am a bagaholic. I have numerous bags by Billinham, FOGG, Domke and Brady. I also have back pack style bags in nylon when I would carry my Nikon kit. At one time, I was a US retailer for FOGG, which did not help my addiction. My other bag that I rotate with the Brady is a FOGG b-Sharp or b-Minor. They are the perfect size for an M kit.

Here's my current carry. I have used Brady bags for years, this one is the Brady Ariel Trout Small. I have another in all black and another in tan and khaki. Little known fact is that the founder of Billingham, Martin Billingham, used to work as the Chief Cutter for Brady, hence the resemblance on the two bag lines. Brady does not make inserts, so I picked up a nice padded one for about $15 on that auction site. Billingham is great, but there is something about Brady that appeals to me more. Maybe it is the perception that the materials used are slightly nicer than Billingham or perhaps that my good friends Tom A and Sal DiMarco used to use them exclusively.

Contents: M10 with half case and Rock N Roll strap and several lenses. My lenses are stored and carried in small nylon mesh pouches I found on Amazon. I added the Leica Red drawstring with an ID tag to identify which lens is inside. You can also feel the lens through the mesh to tell by touch which lens is which. I also carry extra batteries, lens clothes, business cards, etc. in see through mesh pouches which keep things organized. I use a small folding leather card holder from Leica that carries my memory cards. I also have an additional insert from Brady that snaps into place, and is an organizer with zipper and with small pockets for pens, passport and papers. This bag can also accommodate my iPad as well.

All in a fairly discrete, comfortable and space efficient size.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, derleicaman said:

I'll admit I am a bagaholic. I have numerous bags by Billinham, FOGG, Domke and Brady. I also have back pack style bags in nylon when I would carry my Nikon kit. At one time, I was a US retailer for FOGG, which did not help my addiction. My other bag that I rotate with the Brady is a FOGG b-Sharp or b-Minor. They are the perfect size for an M kit.

Here's my current carry. I have used Brady bags for years, this one is the Brady Ariel Trout Small. I have another in all black and another in tan and khaki. Little known fact is that the founder of Billingham, Martin Billingham, used to work as the Chief Cutter for Brady, hence the resemblance on the two bag lines. Brady does not make inserts, so I picked up a nice padded one for about $15 on that auction site. Billingham is great, but there is something about Brady that appeals to me more. Maybe it is the perception that the materials used are slightly nicer than Billingham or perhaps that my good friends Tom A and Sal DiMarco used to use them exclusively.

Contents: M10 with half case and Rock N Roll strap and several lenses. My lenses are stored and carried in small nylon mesh pouches I found on Amazon. I added the Leica Red drawstring with an ID tag to identify which lens is inside. You can also feel the lens through the mesh to tell by touch which lens is which. I also carry extra batteries, lens clothes, business cards, etc. in see through mesh pouches which keep things organized. I use a small folding leather card holder from Leica that carries my memory cards. I also have an additional insert from Brady that snaps into place, and is an organizer with zipper and with small pockets for pens, passport and papers. This bag can also accommodate my iPad as well.

All in a fairly discrete, comfortable and space efficient size.

This is a solution that interests me.  The Brady bag looks good.    I’ve located an insert but it would be helpful to know the dimensions of the insert you have  acquired. I don’t want the height of the insert to exceed the capacity of the bag. What iPad are you using.  7” or 9”   Thanks.

2 hours ago, lucerne said:

This is a solution that interests me.  The Brady bag looks good.    I’ve located an insert but it would be helpful to know the dimensions of the insert you have  acquired. I don’t want the height of the insert to exceed the capacity of the bag. What iPad are you using.  7” or 9”   Thanks.

The insert measures 32 x 11 x 15cm or roughly 12.5 x 4.5 x 6inches. I looked up the transaction on the auction site, and I purchased this June 23, 2018 for the princely sum of $ 12.24 with free shipping. The key is that you don't get an insert that is too wide or too high, and the width is critical too. A lot of these inserts are made for much bigger kit, like the typical DSLR and pictures can be deceiving. You can probably get by with a Billingham insert, and I was using the one for the back pack. Problem with that one is it as high as the Brady bag and it gets pinched at the top as the Brady tapers a bit from bottom to top. I found it usable, but the current insert works just fine and is easier to access things in my bag.

Here is a picture of the insert, along with the snap in organizer from Brady. I have a 9" iPad

• Haha 1

Here's a close-up of my mesh pouches, along with another solution I have of using a drink can coozie for a lens sleeve. This coozie is made for Red Bull cans, which fit the WATE quite well.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

Here's a close-up of my mesh pouches, along with another solution I have of using a drink can coozie for a lens sleeve. This coozie is made for Red Bull cans, which fit the WATE quite well.

Thanks.  I’m looking at an insert 25w, 15high, 10.5 deep.   That seems a good fit.  Brady (U.K.Direct) only have a black Arial Trout small version at the moment.  I’d  prefer green but may proceed.  
Gordon

1 hour ago, lucerne said:

Thanks.  I’m looking at an insert 25w, 15high, 10.5 deep.   That seems a good fit.  Brady (U.K.Direct) only have a black Arial Trout small version at the moment.  I’d  prefer green but may proceed.  
Gordon

I tried to message you on where I purchased this, but apparently you can’t receive messages it tells me

send me a pm with your email and I’ll give you the details

I purchased it from a store in the UK who advertised on the auction site

i don’t want to promote or violate any rules here on the forum by naming the dealer

Edited by derleicaman

FWIW, I posted earlier that I always used a Domke 5 because Iike the size though I hated the velcro so I covered 95% of the velcro with black duck tape.  BUT...I just received a Wotancraft Ryker small that I bought on Ebay and for me, it is the perfect Leica bag. It's [retty much the same size as the Domke 5 but, of course, is all leather, no velcro,  and It can hold my M10, my Leica: 50 Cron, 90 Elmarit M, 28 ASPH, 21mm, my MATE and my table-top Leica tripod.

In reality, I would not carry all that when out but the fact that it can is nice.  It's a REALLY nice bag and smells great (leather).

On 5/29/2020 at 1:15 PM, derleicaman said:

Do you have the Amazon link for these? They are just what I've been looking for.

• Like 1