What bag to carry the M-11 in?

jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, intermediatic said:

As usual, Belstaff 554 colonial shoulder bag with internal padding. It’s casual enough it doesn’t attract attention on the street, nobody would guess it has $20k+ of gear in it, but if for some reason you need to go somewhere where fashion matters, (admittedly not too often), it works well too. Better in black. Stealth is always good. 

The 554 is nice.  I also like their rucksack:  https://www.belstaff.com/us/men/bags/covert-backpack-beige

I am always on the lookout for rucksacks that can accommodate a padded insert for carrying a small to midsize kit.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with Billingham. From front to back: M combination bag, Hadley small pro, Hadley pro 2020. I can fit everything easily into either, and choose bag depending on what else I need to carry. For example, if I need to carry a laptop I'll take the Hadley pro. The strap is from 595strapco. Not 100% convinced with the peak design strap system, I might go back to just regular straps.

I also use other messenger style bags with my Billingham inserts if I need to be extra stylish.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nilsen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nilsen said:

Can't go wrong with Billingham. From front to back: M combination bag, Hadley small pro, Hadley pro 2020. I can fit everything easily into either, and choose bag depending on what else I need to carry. For example, if I need to carry a laptop I'll take the Hadley pro. The strap is from 595strapco. Not 100% convinced with the peak design strap system, I might go back to just regular straps.

I also use other messenger style bags with my Billingham inserts if I need to be extra stylish.

One BIG plus is all of the Billinghams are waterproof. I have proven that with at least four of their bags over the years. Still have a Hadley Pro and the smaller of the two Billibgham rucksacks. I now also have an Oberwerth Sling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, idusidusi said:

One BIG plus is all of the Billinghams are waterproof. I have proven that with at least four of their bags over the years. Still have a Hadley Pro and the smaller of the two Billibgham rucksacks. I now also have an Oberwerth Sling.

definitely. The M combination bag has been soaked in seawater during a rough zodiac trip. Still everything inside was completely dry. I trust these bags fully

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, didier said:

I don't know it it qualifies as I don't own a M11 ;) but I use for my M10M + couple lenses or M10M + Q2 a Fogg Satchmo, which is high build quality, convenient and light.

a picture may be worth more than words…

I find it a bit tight for 2 bodies, but it works. And perfect with 1 body and 2 or 3 lenses :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have an old Billingham Alice that I bought for my first M6. It came with two dividers and has a front pocket that is not accessible with the flap buttoned down. Using a Leica lens coupler it will hold a single body with lens attached plus neck or wrist strap, 3 other lenses, assorted doodads like cable release, tabletop tripod, line level, lens brush, spare battery, pen, Field Notes notebook and paperback mystery. Plus a sturdy shoulder strap that can and has supported both the camera gear and me. Apparently impervious to weather or at least it's never leaked a drop. Not bullet-proof (that I know of) but nicely if moderately padded. It fits me and my M10's like a well-broken-in pair of Red Wings. It will go anywhere I want to go and won't break my back or my bank balance doing it.

Edited by granite

8 minutes ago, granite said:

I have an old Billingham Alice that I bought for my first M6. It came with two dividers and has a front pocket that is not accessible with the flap buttoned down. Using a Leica lens coupler it will hold a single body with lens attached plus neck or wrist strap, 3 other lenses, assorted doodads like cable release, tabletop tripod, line level, lens brush, spare battery, pen, Field Notes notebook and paperback mystery. Plus a sturdy shoulder strap that can and has supported both the camera gear and me. Apparently impervious to weather or at least it's never leaked a drop. Not bullet-proof (that I know of) but nicely if moderately padded. It fits me and my M10's like a well-broken-in pair of Red Wings. It will go anywhere I want to go and won't break my back or my bank balance doing it.

Thought I had never heard of 'Alice':

NO LONGER PRODUCED. The Alice bag was produced between 1997 and 2001, It was then renamed to the L2.

• Waterproof canvas and top grain leather.
• Quick release rainflap.
• Wide adjustable shoulder sling.
• Padded main compartment with fully adjustable partitions
• Optional end pocket system
• Available in Khaki or Black with Tan trim

The closest replacement for this bag is the Billingham S3

What he said.

The Alice (anagram of Leica) was made with M-system cameras in mind in the 1990's. Leica had a hand in the design in partnership with Billingham. It was smaller than the small Hadleys, meant to hold a small but adequate kit.

Edited by granite

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a fully loaded Hadley small pro, additional to what you see there's an iPad Pro and some cables. The Kodak film case is full of Ilford film 😃

Edited by nilsen

• 2 weeks later...