If you could ask Peter Karbe one question...

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Similar to this one. Two hours, multi topic, sometimes very technical sometimes not. 

The recorder has no other plans than choosing a couple forum members who are volunteering to make a summary 😜

You like delegating Steven, don't you?  If you attended the presentation you are the best qualified to minute key points.

Re post #101, thanks for choosing my question.  

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, Jeff S said:

I now send my repairs to DAG (Don Goldberg) in the States for things that can be done by third party and without Leica Wetzlar.  I haven’t used NJ Service in years, ever since they failed to improve the sticky focus action on my 50 M Summilux ASPH. DAG fixed it perfectly, inexpensively (90 bucks, including shipping) and in a week. For a new purchase, I would likely turn it back to my dealer for replacement.

While reliability has seemingly improved for some product lines, the unfortunate service/QC stories we read about all too often here remain troubling, although we also hear from many happy customers.  I’ve learned to moderate my expectations….for more than photo gear, the older I get… and avoid being an early adopter.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Thought about that, but as the lens was under warranty, thought I'd give Leica NJ a crack at it. Thought it would be a rather straightforward process for a technician that had been adequately trained. I won't make that mistake again, and therefore just took the hit and bought another copy that was perfect out of the box. Seems the reputation Leica NJ has earned for itself is well deserved based on my experience with them. Definitely a weak point in the Leica organization.  

Edited by jplomley

13 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Thanks Jeff. Thought about that, but as the lens was under warranty, thought I'd give Leica NJ a crack at it. Thought it would be a rather straightforward process for a technician that had been adequately trained. I won't make that mistake again, and therefore just took the hit and bought another copy that was perfect out of the box. Seems the reputation Leica NJ has earned for itself is well deserved based on my experience with them. Definitely a weak point in the Leica organization.  

There have been multiple efforts to address various known issues with NJ service, apparently including teams from Germany, and some folks here have remarked about some better experiences.  Your post, however, suggests continuing concerns. I don’t know how the transition to the new President, Leica USA, might have impacted any efforts, if at all. I can’t speak to this personally, having relied on DAG for my few needs.  I guess the good news is that I haven’t had many issues with M and SL systems, but I might have just been lucky or benefitted from not being an early adopter.

Jeff

17 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

There have been multiple efforts to address various known issues with NJ service, apparently including teams from Germany, and some folks here have remarked about some better experiences.  Your post, however, suggests continuing concerns. I don’t know how the transition to the new President, Leica USA, might have impacted any efforts, if at all. I can’t speak to this personally, having relied on DAG for my few needs.  I guess the good news is that I haven’t had many issues with M and SL systems, but I might have just been lucky or benefitted from not being an early adopter.

Jeff

Interesting observation is that its only recently I've had issues with Leica products. From 1996 up to my M10-R I have had zero issues with lenses or a multitude of their bodies, analog and digital including a five-year journey into the S product line. Never experienced the AF motor failure on any of the lenses I was using. Then the M10M sensor artifact issue arose, and now a 28 mm SC v2 M lens that defies calibration. Guess after 25 years my luck ran out, or......

27 minutes ago, graphlex said:

When the problem is with an item that is under warranty, a good dealer can run interference for you with Leica service, and can get the item replaced if necessary.

Exactly what I would expect… and my select dealers accordingly.  I’d want replacement if issue surfaces quickly.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

3 hours ago, Steven said:

So, the talk was actually quite interesting. He was asked A LOT of questions, on A LOT of topics, and he answered A LOT of them. 

It turns out that it was recorded. I would not want to post it publicly of course, but since you all helped with the questions, I'd be happy if you cant get all the interesting info we got out of it. 

What I had in mind was to make it listen to two or three trusted member from the forum for them to decide what is useful to share (and save). 

In my mind, I thought to send it to @Jeff S (because he is kind of wise, and kind of synthetic), and @adan because only him (that I know of) will understand and digest a big part of the technical conversation. But then of couse, not sure if Jeff and Adan (btw, Adan, is your name Dean ?) have the time and the will to do this. It's a two hour recording after all. Or if anyone has any other suggestions ... ? 

I'm happy to do this - just send me the link or whatever. PM or the coloradoseen address.

May be a day or so since I am involved with shipping off some prints today (Friday).

Andy/Adan

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Steven said:

He just passed a slide show of all the photos he takes. A lot of nature, flowers, still life. Quite beautiful... 

He uses the Elpro 52 for insect macro... 

That explains his obsession with shooting wide open.  He might see the need to stop down if he was shooting landscapes or street photography. 

9 hours ago, ianman said:

Even if his own interest is taking macros of insects and flowers, this is just such a bizarre comment from someone who makes a living designing lenses and in particular for the M range.

Is there a way to like a post ten times? 😉

9 hours ago, ianman said:

Even if his own interest is taking macros of insects and flowers, this is just such a bizarre comment from someone who makes a living designing lenses and in particular for the M range.

He probably knows very well that the M system is not the most ideal for macro photography, but he can still very well have the development of M lenses as a job.

And macro and wide open shooting probably reveal more technical challenges than street and landscape photography anyway.

2 hours ago, adan said:

I'm happy to do this - just send me the link or whatever. PM or the coloradoseen address.

May be a day or so since I am involved with shipping off some prints today (Friday).

Andy/Adan

Awesome! Link in DM. Sent it to a couple people who messaged me as well. 

Leica Camera Australia Webinar 

Some interesting Q&A’s in the end. Excuse the moderator *butting into the address and put back in place by Peter with the *please listen to the entire address before asking questions. Lol

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, evikne said:

He probably knows very well that the M system is not the most ideal for macro photography, but he can still very well have the development of M lenses as a job.

And macro and wide open shooting probably reveal more technical challenges than street and landscape photography anyway.

You misunderstood my point which had nothing to do with development or technical challenges.

OK - I've listened to (and roughly transcribed) the audio link provided by Stephen. About 1 hours and 30 minutes worth or questions (27). Plus Peter Karbe's "prepared statement."

(BTW, the recording had the usual Zoom-wifi-sound problems - people's voices turning into distorted guitar chords, etc. "In whonyangpeeerngya could be reorngyerng?" I tried to interpolate the meaning from the context where possible. ;) )

What's my brief here? Can I quote Peter Karbe (and the questions) verbatim - or are they presumed to be privileged? Should I just go through them from 1 to 27?

Mr. Karbe refused to answer any "future products" questions, except very tangentially ("Would such and such be possible?") He also points out often that what Leica will make is up to the Product Managers - all he does is design what they ask for. Or - more or less the same thing - "That would depend on the projected market."

Quite a few of the questions asked on this thread were brought up by those in the Zoom meeting in one form or another. Or at least an answer provided some information for our questions as well.

24mm lenses and APS-C lenses were not mentioned at all. Categories of lenses in order of number asked were - M, SL, S, Ciné. Sometimes the answers overlapped lens lines.

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, adan said:

What's my brief here? Can I quote Peter Karbe (and the questions) verbatim - or are they presumed to be privileged? Should I just go through them from 1 to 27?

You can do what pleases you! I think every one will be grateful with anything you might share. I did not find myself capable to summarise the talk or even note the most interesting point, this is why I thought of you to digest it. But it's really up to you what you do. There is not limitation ! 

Since this thread has been really great as brainstorm for questions, I thought it was fair to everyone, now that the talk has passed, to turn in into an answer's thread. 

It's all yours, Andy

43 minutes ago, adan said:

Mr. Karbe refused to answer any "future products" questions, except very tangentially ("Would such and such be possible?") He also points out often that what Leica will make is up to the Product Managers - all he does is design what they ask for. Or - more or less the same thing - "That would depend on the projected market."

True. when he was asked about why they don't make lenses longer than 280mm for the SL system, he said it was not his call,  but that he would love to make some. I don't know if you can hear it in his voice, but on his face, you could see a big load of frustration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2