Show us some Karbe Magic

Al Brown

15 minutes ago, evikne said:

Thanks for taking the initiative for this thread! Peter Karbe really deserves it.

Absolutely he does. He is the Walter Mandler of the 21st century, adjusting for the lens needs of modern times. Just watched a 2-hour long zoom interview with him - he said "LEICA M WILL NEVER BE AUTOFOCUS". He also answered some of the major questions here - what is his favorite contemporary lens, will a filter diminish the optical quality of lenses and -  I loved this one the most as he tries to be diplomatic about it yet still keep his cool - what does he think of Chinese made and designed "Noctilux" (at 1:55:11).

Edited by Al Brown

In an interview in Shutterbug in 2009 (The Leica Lens Saga), Peter Karbe quotes his inspiration for the 75 APO:
"One Saturday morning, I woke up and remembered that the Summilux 75mm f/1.4 was derived from the Summilux 50mm f/1.4 (designed by Dr. Mandler) and I decided to try the same basic idea with the 50mm Summicron. Thus, the APO Summicron 75mm ASPH was born."

28 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

I use for many years lenses designed by Mandler and by Karbe and do not care about this fact, for me the result, the individual photo is more important.

what are your top three favourite lenses of all times ? Lets see what it tells us about you. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Al Brown:

... and I decided to try the same basic idea with the 50mm Summicron. Thus, the APO Summicron 75mm ASPH was born."

Hmm, I do not know what Mr. Karbe said at the time, but the Summicron 50 AA did not exist when the Summicron 75 asph became available. And the regular Summicron 50 bears no resemblance (with regard to its optical formula) to the Summicron 75 asph. So I believe there must be some misunderstanding here. There is some distinct resemblance in the optical formulae of the Summilux 50 asph and the Summicron 75 asph though. It appears what happended was that Mr. Karbe took the design of the Summilux 50 asph as a basis for the Summicron 75 asph, and since the latter has a longer focal length, he ended up with an f2 design for the 75mm lens.

Andy

6 minutes ago, wizard said:

Hmm, I do not know what Mr. Karbe said at the time, but the Summicron 50 AA did not exist when the Summicron 75 asph became available. And the regular Summicron 50 bears no resemblance (with regard to its optical formula) to the Summicron 75 asph. So I believe there must be some misunderstanding here. There is some distinct resemblance in the optical formulae of the Summilux 50 asph and the Summicron 75 asph though. It appears what happended was that Mr. Karbe took the design of the Summilux 50 asph as a basis for the Summicron 75 asph, and since the latter has a longer focal length, he ended up with an f2 design for the 75mm lens.

Andy

Well spotted. Adding the link to the interview below:
https://www.shutterbug.com/content/leica-lens-saga-interview-peter-karbe-page-2