If you could ask Peter Karbe one question...

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

But why would you ask an optical engineer that? surely ask that question to a photographer?

Its like asking rachmaninov how many piano's has he built lately?

Post #78, second paragraph.  The interview (post#50) shows some of his pics. Helpful if a piano designer has some practical experience, and opinions, about playing the instrument.  Plus, photography is practiced almost universally these days.  I wouldn’t waste my one question on the topic, but not the first time he’s discussed his photos.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Post #78, second paragraph.  The interview (post#50) shows some of his pics. Helpful if a piano designer has some practical experience, and opinions, about playing the instrument.  Plus, photography is practiced almost universally these days.  I wouldn’t waste my one question on the topic, but not the first time he’s discussed his photos.

Jeff

My point is why ask a top class optical engineer a question about his amateur photography?

Maybe mr karbe  mentions his photography because he wants us to know that he is an enthusiast just like most of us are?

29 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

My point is why ask a top class optical engineer a question about his amateur photography?

Maybe mr karbe  mentions his photography because he wants us to know that he is an enthusiast just like most of us are?

He discusses his training as a photographer…

https://www.leica-camera.blog/2020/02/27/peter-karbe/

Jeff

2 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

But why would you ask an optical engineer that? surely ask that question to a photographer?

Its like asking rachmaninov how many piano's has he built lately?

I think you may have misinterpreted the meaning of my question.  I'm not suggesting that the artist should be able to create his own tools, what I'm saying is that I would expect the creator of an artistic tool - like a camera lens, for example - to know something about how that tool will be used by an artist, and design it with that knowledge in mind.  To that end, I would expect someone like Peter Karbe to have some working knowledge of photography beyond the lab/MTF charts, etc. and to test his designs the way an artist will use them i.e. actually taking photographs in the real world.  That doesn't seem so outlandish IMHO.

Maybe Rachmaninov didn't build any pianos in his lifetime, but there have been many musicians who have contributed immensely to the design of musical instruments - Les Paul and Chet Atkins to name just two.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Jeff S:

He’s already provided two (see my post/link earlier).  Last year it was the SL35 APO; now his ‘forever’ lens is the 35 M Summicron APO.  No surprise.  

He also talks about his personal photography/subjects in the linked interview.

Jeff

Yes, now the 35mm M APO Summicron would be one of the lenses, but which would be the other two in his collection ?

9 hours ago, Wonzo said:

Yes, now the 35mm M APO Summicron would be one of the lenses, but which would be the other two in his collection ?

SL 35 APO. But his public answers will always reflect his next best achievement.

Jeff

3 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Can we expect APO versions of the 28 SC and 21 SC in M mount? Also, any intent to bring back the 24 mm M mount also in APO version. Would make sense to have an M-mount APO SC line that mirrors that of the SL.

Just curious, or were you not serious about having bought your last Leica product?

Jeff

On 7/6/2021 at 6:31 AM, Steven said:

Agreed, this is why I opened his thread. At this point, I still can't think of any interesting, clever, and unexpected question to ask. I doubt I'd be able to ask him more than one or two questions, if any at all. 

The truth is that they asked me two weeks ago to send a question list by email, but I was swamped at work and didn't have time to send anything on time before the deadline. So I don't even know if I'll get any mic time! 

Steven, you will have another chance to speak with Peter Karbe and Stefan Daniel when we visit Wetzlar in November 🙂

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Just curious, or were you not serious about having bought your last Leica product?

Jeff

Mea culpa and note to self.....never rage on-line. I've been rather wound up of late due to sensor artifacts with the M10M and having received a lens back from NJ completely out of calibration after requesting to have it adjusted due to extreme front-focusing. This was the third trip to NJ after they mounted the front inscription on the lens upside down. Don't even get me started on the NJ repair service capability......  

1 minute ago, jplomley said:

Mea culpa and note to self.....never rage on-line. I've been rather wound up of late due to sensor artifacts with the M10M and having received a lens back from NJ completely out of calibration after requesting to have it adjusted due to extreme front-focusing. This was the third trip to NJ after they mounted the front inscription on the lens upside down. Don't even get me started on the NJ repair service capability......  

I get it and would be similarly frustrated and angered.

Jeff

On 7/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, evikne said:

Voigtländer did exactly what I wanted with their 35 mm/1:1.4 Nokton II. I am not talking about a reissue, but a new lens designed from scratch with today's possibilities.

… But unfortunately I am completely faithful to Leica and their lenses. 😄

Shhhhhh!   We'll never tell.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I get it and would be similarly frustrated and angered.

Jeff

Yup, brand new 28 SC Asph v2 manufactured in Wetzlar back-focused out of the box and a finger-print under the front element. Sent it to NJ for adjustment and it came back so poorly calibrated it was unusable to the point of not being able to get anything in focus. That was a 6-week turnaround. Back it went for trip #2. Almost eight weeks because they had to order a special part. It then came back front focusing and the front lens inscription ring was upside down! Back it went for trip #3. Another 6-week wait. Inscription ring direction corrected but no change in the calibration. I gave up  and took a $1500 hit to get another copy. The new copy was Made in Portugal, and is perfectly adjusted right out of the box. Sharp corners at f/2 with the least amount of field curvature and focus shift I have ever seen on a 28 Summicron.    

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Yup, brand new 28 SC Asph v2 manufactured in Wetzlar back-focused out of the box and a finger-print under the front element. Sent it to NJ for adjustment and it came back so poorly calibrated it was unusable to the point of not being able to get anything in focus. That was a 6-week turnaround. Back it went for trip #2. Almost eight weeks because they had to order a special part. It then came back front focusing and the front lens inscription ring was upside down! Back it went for trip #3. Another 6-week wait. Inscription ring direction corrected but no change in the calibration. I gave up  and took a $1500 hit to get another copy. The new copy was Made in Portugal, and is perfectly adjusted right out of the box. Sharp corners at f/2 with the least amount of field curvature and focus shift I have ever seen on a 28 Summicron.    

I now send my repairs to DAG (Don Goldberg) in the States for things that can be done by third party and without Leica Wetzlar.  I haven’t used NJ Service in years, ever since they failed to improve the sticky focus action on my 50 M Summilux ASPH. DAG fixed it perfectly, inexpensively (90 bucks, including shipping) and in a week. For a new purchase, I would likely turn it back to my dealer for replacement.

While reliability has seemingly improved for some product lines, the unfortunate service/QC stories we read about all too often here remain troubling, although we also hear from many happy customers.  I’ve learned to moderate my expectations….for more than photo gear, the older I get… and avoid being an early adopter.

Jeff

2 hours ago, jplomley said:

This was the third trip to NJ after they mounted the front inscription on the lens upside down.

Out of curiosity, how can a front inscription ring be mounted "upside-down?" Do you mean "back-to-front" (inscription facing inwards)?

34 minutes ago, adan said:

Out of curiosity, how can a front inscription ring be mounted "upside-down?" Do you mean "back-to-front" (inscription facing inwards)?

The "Leica" which is usually at the top was at the bottom, so when you looked at the lens straight on, it appeared upside down. 

1 hour ago, Wonzo said:

Two 35mm lenses in a set of three lenses make no sense. I wouldn`t expect such an answer from him.

It makes sense for a lot of folks on the forum. You’re lucky he was even willing to play the silly game and pick his one ‘forever’ lens, which to nobody’s surprise was his latest masterpiece. Now you expect him to prioritize three?  The last favorite lens he picked, the SL35, he still mentioned in the interview I linked as a tough choice compared to the 35 M APO. 

Jeff

19 hours ago, logan2z said:

I think you may have misinterpreted the meaning of my question.  I'm not suggesting that the artist should be able to create his own tools, what I'm saying is that I would expect the creator of an artistic tool - like a camera lens, for example - to know something about how that tool will be used by an artist, and design it with that knowledge in mind.  To that end, I would expect someone like Peter Karbe to have some working knowledge of photography beyond the lab/MTF charts, etc. and to test his designs the way an artist will use them i.e. actually taking photographs in the real world.  That doesn't seem so outlandish IMHO.

Maybe Rachmaninov didn't build any pianos in his lifetime, but there have been many musicians who have contributed immensely to the design of musical instruments - Les Paul and Chet Atkins to name just two.

He does take photographs [jpegs] and i am sure he is ok at that.

But he is a top class technician so it would in my view be a waste of a question,we clearly disagree on this which is fine.