Show us some Karbe Magic

Al Brown

3 hours ago, Steven said:

...It's making me ask myself a question. Not wether I prefer Karbe or Mandler, I already know the answer to that. But wether I can love both, or have to pledge allegiance to one...

Interesting approach. Why do you suspect it might not be possible to love both?

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pippy said:

Interesting approach. Why do you suspect it might not be possible to love both?...

Philip.

It surely is. But while some cherish choices, others, me included, can sometimes find it overwhelming. 
I already struggle to choose my focal lengths, so imagine if once I chose to shoot at 35, I have to chose between a pre asph and an FLE? Sounds daunting !

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, wizard said:

C'mon guys, so far not a single comment on the photograph posted with the initial post?? I quite like it, no matter whether it's Mandler or Karbe magic 😎.

Great image - but that composition would probably look equally good taken with a 50/3.5 Elmar. And I say that as a Karbe fan!

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, wizard said:

C'mon guys, so far not a single comment on the photograph posted with the initial post?? I quite like it, no matter whether it's Mandler or Karbe magic 😎.

@Al Brown I thought it was a spectacular image and I was going to comment on it, but then I struggled to find the words to describe what I felt when looking at it, and feared it might be misinterpreted by my PC friends from the other side of the Atlantic, so I abstained. 

Superb image. Superb lens. 

• Haha 1

more GAS...Cobalt Blue(SCHMINCKE)~^L^

Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 ASPH. FLE, M10-P

Edited by Erato
  • Like 9

I don't really have anything which shows 'Magic' - neither by Mandler nor Karbe - but of the three Leitz lenses I tend to use the most (by a long way) nowadays the score is 'Mandler 1; Karbe 2.'; these being 28mm Karbe, 50mm Mandler, 75mm Karbe (always assuming I'm correct in thinking Karbe designed the Elmarit ASPH and f2.5 Summarit lenses!).

This is a holiday snap of a scene which I've posted before but only as a monochrome image. This colour version is actually from a different DNG file and I just happen to like the way the lens handled the situation. Focus was on the taller pair of masts nearest centre-image. It isn't clear here but the way the lens managed to capture the detail of the 'thin twiddly stuff'(*) at the top of the mast is extraordinary!

The lens was the 75mm f2.5 Summarit shot wide-open at ISO 1250. Camera was an M-D Typ-262;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

(*) I think that's the correct terminology but might be mistaken.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 16

39 minutes ago, pippy said:

I don't really have anything which shows 'Magic' - neither by Mandler nor Karbe - but of the three Leitz lenses I tend to use the most (by a long way) nowadays the score is 'Mandler 1; Karbe 2.'; these being 28mm Karbe, 50mm Mandler, 75mm Karbe (always assuming I'm correct in thinking Karbe designed the Elmarit ASPH and f2.5 Summarit lenses!).

This is a holiday snap of a scene which I've posted before but only as a monochrome image. This colour version is actually from a different DNG file and I just happen to like the way the lens handled the situation. Focus was on the taller pair of masts nearest centre-image. It isn't clear here but the way the lens managed to capture the detail of the 'thin twiddly stuff'(*) at the top of the mast is extraordinary!

The lens was the 75mm f2.5 Summarit shot wide-open at ISO 1250. Camera was an M-D Typ-262;

Philip.

(*) I think that's the correct terminology but might be mistaken.

Such a lovely shot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Such a lovely shot. 

I thank you for the nice comment, Steven, but in truth whist the snap's certainly O.K. it's the place that's lovely. I just interpreted the TTL meter and pushed the button.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

1 hour ago, pippy said:

I thank you for the nice comment, Steven, but in truth whist the snap's certainly O.K. it's the place that's lovely. I just interpreted the TTL meter and pushed the button.

Philip.

Us photographers are just seismographs recording earth quakes. The stronger the earthquake, the strongest the recording. The earthquake does most of the job. 
but If you ask any seismograph you’ll get a feel of how complicated is their task. No room for error. 

Edited by Steven
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

An essential item for a walk on the Marlborough Downs. (M10M).  :)

Great shot again Keith

I really like your 21mm shots, and your post processing which has always a lot of character !

• Like 3

On 1/24/2021 at 7:12 PM, evikne said:

Thanks for taking the initiative for this thread! Peter Karbe really deserves it.

One of my favorite shots taken with my favorite Karbe lens: 50mm Summilux ASPH and M10:

This shot really benefits from the lux asph qualities. 

Wonderful !

it is different from your 50 ‘lux pre -asph which is more suited for your portraits 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, didier said:

This shot really benefits from the lux asph qualities. 

Wonderful !

it is different from your 50 ‘lux pre -asph which is more suited for your portraits 👍

Thank you very much! Yes, an advantage of the ASPH is that I can photograph wide open at a slightly longer distance without losing details.

• Like 1