If you could ask Peter Karbe one question...

Steven

1 minute ago, Steven said:

he went on to say "I would like to get rid of MTFs. If anyone has a better suggestion for proof of performance, I'm open to it..."

What? He didn't say "I'm wide open to it..."? A bit of a slip up there Mr Karbe!!

• Haha 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, jplomley said:

The "Leica" which is usually at the top was at the bottom, so when you looked at the lens straight on, it appeared upside down. 

This ring is threaded in, right?

‘Clocking’ screws is not a good idea. Screws need a certain amount of torque to stay in place via friction. If the elongation is the screw is too low it will work itself out. So what at first glance might look like attention to detail is in fact quite the opposite. 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

He just passed a slide show of all the photos he takes. A lot of nature, flowers, still life. Quite beautiful... 

He uses the Elpro 52 for insect macro... 

He shows them in the video interview I linked.  

Jeff

So, the talk was actually quite interesting. He was asked A LOT of questions, on A LOT of topics, and he answered A LOT of them. 

It turns out that it was recorded. I would not want to post it publicly of course, but since you all helped with the questions, I'd be happy if you cant get all the interesting info we got out of it. 

What I had in mind was to make it listen to two or three trusted member from the forum for them to decide what is useful to share (and save). 

In my mind, I thought to send it to @Jeff S (because he is kind of wise, and kind of synthetic), and @adan because only him (that I know of) will understand and digest a big part of the technical conversation. But then of couse, not sure if Jeff and Adan (btw, Adan, is your name Dean ?) have the time and the will to do this. It's a two hour recording after all. Or if anyone has any other suggestions ... ? 

23 minutes ago, Steven said:

So, the talk was actually quite interesting. He was asked A LOT of questions, on A LOT of topics, and he answered A LOT of them. 

It turns out that it was recorded. I would not want to post it publicly of course, but since you all helped with the questions, I'd be happy if you cant get all the interesting info we got out of it. 

What I had in mind was to make it listen to two or three trusted member from the forum for them to decide what is useful to share (and save). 

In my mind, I thought to send it to @Jeff S (because he is kind of wise, and kind of synthetic), and @adan because only him (that I know of) will understand and digest a big part of the technical conversation. But then of couse, not sure if Jeff and Adan (btw, Adan, is your name Dean ?) have the time and the will to do this. It's a two hour recording after all. Or if anyone has any other suggestions ... ? 

Synthetic? 🤪 Thanks, but sorry I don’t have the time.  Adan is Andy.  There are many others here who are technically minded.  My guess, though, is that the sponsor/recorder of the session might have some plan for the recording, or at least some thoughts.  I’d start there.  Various other sessions have been published, only some of which I’ve linked.  Some of Karbe’s recently published talks (on both M and SL lenses) are 2+ hours long, with much technical info.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

9 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Synthetic? 🤪 Thanks, but sorry I don’t have the time.  Adan is Andy.  There are many others here who are technically minded.  My guess, though, is that the sponsor/recorder of the session might have some plan for the recording, or at least some thoughts.  I’d start there.  Various other sessions have been published, only some of which I’ve linked.  Some of Karbe’s recently recorded talks (on both M and SL lenses) are 2+ hours long, with much technical info.

Jeff

Similar to this one. Two hours, multi topic, sometimes very technical sometimes not. 

The recorder has no other plans than choosing a couple forum members who are volunteering to make a summary 😜

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Similar to this one. Two hours, multi topic, sometimes very technical sometimes not. 

The recorder has no other plans than choosing a couple forum members who are volunteering to make a summary 😜

Well, if you look through the others, you should be able to determine if there is anything new and worth mentioning.  No point in repeating what’s been done.

Jeff

Just now, Jeff S said:

Well, if you look through the others, you should be able to determine if there is anything new and worth mentioning.  No point in repeating what’s been done.

Jeff

True, but 2 hours of Peter's voice was enough for me in one day. 

Just now, Steven said:

True, but 2 hours of Peter's voice was enough for me in one day. 

That’s why I suggested this to you when you got the invitation. 😉

Here’s one such example, in addition to my other links in this thread…

Jeff

I saw this. I think today was different, because we got to ask him questions that he didn't plan. The presentation part lasted only 20 minutes. 

For example, I asked him if we were heading into a future with EVF, I asked him what would be the next revolution after the APO trend, and I even asked him if he was happy with the M11! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Steven said:

I saw this. I think today was different, because we got to ask him questions that he didn't plan. The presentation part lasted only 20 minutes. 

For example, I asked him if we were heading into a future with EVF, I asked him what would be the next revolution after the APO trend, and I even asked him if he was happy with the M11! 

He routinely does this… see post #50, for instance.  Interesting stuff also contained in various published conversations with folks like David Farkas (Leica Miami/Red Dot Forum) , Hugh Brownstone (Three Blind Men videos), etc.  The spontaneous Q&A parts are often the most interesting (from Karbe and other Leica staff).

Just tell us anything new and interesting.  Simple.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Steven:

Very interesting questions ! So what did he say ?

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Any one volunteering to do it ?! 

I suggested Jeff and Adan but I dont know if they want. 

I'll volunteer.  As a patent attorney, I'm fairly good at sifting through complex technical stuff and distilling it down to a comprehensible mass.

• Haha 1