Best M10 Strap

Snipe10

Well...  IMO, although the leather strap that came with the 10R is OK functionally, it's stiff and uses the typical small round "key" rings to attach. The cheapo Leica one is more flexible/easier to attach/use.

Wonder how long it will be before I try this pointless strap-buying exercise again?  Maybe if I buy an M11 but that won't happen (if ever) until the 12 is released so I've got several years...;)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 5:13 AM, LondonL said:

Giving a shout to Woodgate for anyone in the UK. Just ordered the peak design anchor link incorporated strap and they do longer than 50" which so many places fail to do. Us tall people need every inch.

https://woodgatecamerastraps.com/

Never heard of Woodgate but they look nice and the pricing is great. I think I'll order one. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can also check www.hyperioncamerastraps.com. So many colors to choose from 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a do it myself strap project, I ordered five feet of Endura Braid Dyneema 8mm cord:  https://www.knotandrope.com/collections/sailing-boating-rope/products/endura-braid-dyneema?variant=21738550919216 

I will run the cord thru the loop of a BlackRapid FR-5 FastenR Breathe https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278414-REG/blackrapid_363001_fasten_r_fr_5.html which will then screw into the tripod socket on the base of my Q2 or M cameras.  Then I will tie a knot using both ends of the cord.

The reason for making this strap is that Dyneema cord is slash proof (they say) so your camera will not fall victim to slash/grab/run thieves.  The 8mm size is rated at a breaking strength of 8100 pounds, so this strap should hold up for a very long time.

I got the idea to make my own slash proof camera strap from this article - https://petapixel.com/2022/04/28/travel-focused-camera-strap-is-immune-to-slash-and-grab-theft/

I thought a slash proof strap might be a good thing to have for my upcoming July trip to Nepal, particularly the city of Kathmandu.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 3:28 PM, MikeMyers said:

My M10 is still wearing the leather strap that came in the box along with the camera.  It's light, comfortable, not too "gaudy", and feels very secure.  My second favorite is the Leica nylon strap that looks about the same, with a wide shoulder rest, and which is adjustable for length.  I probably have five or six of these now, on almost all of my cameras regardless of brand.

I've looked at these aftermarket straps for years, but can't find anything I like as much as the strap Leica made for the camera.

I liked that I can put the camera on before my light jacket or sweater, and the camera is safely tucked away until I want to use it.  

I think this is it:

M10 Neck Strap - B&H

true.

the best strap for me :)

• 4 months later...

When I bought my M10, I attached the strap that came in the box.  Seemed nice, but for years I had been buying what I think is the old "standard" Leica strap for my other cameras, made from Nylon, with the special clips at the end that I always struggle with.  Got the camera out today, and when I tried to "brace" the camera against my face using the strap, I once again discovered the strap is too long for me.  The Nylon strap is adjustable.  I like the wide shoulder rest too.

I've got that Leica strap on many of my other cameras - time to put one on my M10.

I'm surprised Leica didn't just include it with the camera to begin with.

1 hour ago, MikeMyers said:

When I bought my M10, I attached the strap that came in the box.  Seemed nice, but for years I had been buying what I think is the old "standard" Leica strap for my other cameras, made from Nylon, with the special clips at the end that I always struggle with.  Got the camera out today, and when I tried to "brace" the camera against my face using the strap, I once again discovered the strap is too long for me.  The Nylon strap is adjustable.  I like the wide shoulder rest too.

I've got that Leica strap on many of my other cameras - time to put one on my M10.

I'm surprised Leica didn't just include it with the camera to begin with.

The old standard 14312 strap was recently discontinued, but can still be found at some stores.  Discussed frequently here, including tips to ensure proper installation.  (Easiest if clips put on lugs first, without strap connected.) I put them on all my M cameras. 

Jeff

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The old standard 14312 strap was recently discontinued, but can still be found at some stores.

I think I now have five or six of them - I use it on all my cameras, regardless of brand - as long as it fits.  As I recall, it didn't fit my Fuji.  I never really did like the strap that came with the M10, but I figured I'd get used to it, but it was too long for me.  Looked nice, I guess, but the #14312 is magic.  Thanks for all the feedback.  I guess straps are very personal.  The #14312 works, but it looks "boring", not that I care.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, Pavlos Koutsoukos said:

You can also check www.hyperioncamerastraps.com. So many colors to choose from

+1 for the Hyperion straps. Pavlos above makes them with RAVING reviews on Etsy (5***** average review) and he made mine for my M10-P tailor length at no additional cost. Awesome selection, INCREDIBLE PRICE and hand made from Greece, EU. I did purchase extra leather strap protectors though, just in case.
(Not affiliated/sponsored/paid/contacted in any way).

• Like 1

I needed a strap for my new Nikon D780, and found this on-line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBVDXXZ?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

It's from Amazon, and arrived the next day.  Despite the low price, I like it a lot.

I'll try this one first, but if I continue to like it as much as I do, I plan to get one for my M10.  It's adjustable in all the ways I want, and it's made from very nice leather.

The picture shows it going through the Nikon fittings, but I removed the plastic part from the fitting, didn't use the large O-rings and put the strap right through the Nikon metal fittings.  

Edited by MikeMyers

On 9/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, MikeMyers said:

I think I now have five or six of them - I use it on all my cameras, regardless of brand - as long as it fits.  As I recall, it didn't fit my Fuji.  I never really did like the strap that came with the M10, but I figured I'd get used to it, but it was too long for me.  Looked nice, I guess, but the #14312 is magic.  Thanks for all the feedback.  I guess straps are very personal.  The #14312 works, but it looks "boring", not that I care.

If you want a 14312 equivalent (but better imo) than this is your ticket. Best straps ever imo as they alleviate the fear of shoulder slippage, and thereby one doesn't shrug their shoulders as much. https://journeycamera.com/camera-carry-system/small-f-friendship-pad-upstrap

On 10/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, charlesphoto99 said:

If you want a 14312 equivalent (but better imo) than this is your ticket. Best straps ever imo as they alleviate the fear of shoulder slippage, and thereby one doesn't shrug their shoulders as much. https://journeycamera.com/camera-carry-system/small-f-friendship-pad-upstrap

I’ve been using the 14312 for 35+ years and have never once had a problem with slippage. It also appears more compact and flexible than the one you linked. Some reviewers on sites like B&H, who have tried both, also prefer the 14312, and are impressed with its lack of slippage. But these things are personal, so whatever one prefers is best.

Jeff

I think MAYBE the issue is that the 14312 is discontinued now…? Not sure if I read that somewhere or just imagined I did 🤔🫤

No drama I think… they’ll be around NOS and mint unworn for a long while yet (I have three of them)

I guess the strap Charles linked too is a reasonable replacement… (unlike their shipping charges to Europe, which are pretty freaking far from reasonable 😅)