Best M10 Strap

Snipe10

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Discontinued but can be found.  My comment was in response to the post that the Upstrap was a better strap and that the 14312 had slippage concerns.

Jeff

I'm not saying the 14312 isn't anything but a good strap. But at the prices I've seen for them, the Upstrap is a great equivalent at almost half the price (and the pad is actually more bendy than the Leica so wrist wrapping is easier). Their previous version I'm still using after fifteen years on one of my bodies, which was the kevlar strap with a thicker pad but with non-slip bumps on both sides so no matter which way you threw it over the shoulder it wouldn't slip. 

2 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

IMO anyone concerned about slippage should probably wear their camera so that the strap crosses the chest

Wearing cross shoulder is pretty much the equivalent of a "never ready" case imo. I'll wear it that way if I'm hoofing it across town, but not while shooting. If shooting, and esp if working with two bodies, then across the shoulder will keep it at the ready for a quick exchange up to the eye. 

I bought a new 14312 from an AD last march and it was €55 which wasn’t extortionate IMO (way cheaper than many artisan type straps and MUCH cheaper than anything Leica offer in leather)

I don’t have issues wearing cross body, the camera is by my hip, I want to shoot I lift it to my eye, bang there it is (I have the strap quite long) if I don’t want to shoot, I slide it round a bit more so that it’s where my arse/small of my back is and the non-slip pad keeps it there

Started doing this when I had my kid and suddenly needed to be able to drop anything my hands and grab an errant toddler and this way of having the camera just stuck… plus I’ve been known to climb things to get a shot and that’s asking for trouble with it just over my shoulder!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got to try my "MegaGear" for the first time yesterday - loved it.  Comfortable, simple, didn't slip, beautiful, real leather, and I like it much more than the #14312 which has been my favorite for decades.  That it is so inexpensive is a bonus.  I bought two more, one for my M10, and one to have available for the future.  I'll probably install one on my M10 tomorrow.  Maybe my M3 too.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBVDXXZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, Snipe10 said:

Getting my first M10 and need a strap. Looking at the Holdfast Maven which is a plain strap but well made. It's flat instead of braided and made of buffalo hide. Any other recommendations? Thanks, 

I bought this one and it’s perfect for me. Some don’t like it because they say it’s not thin enough. They have a thin version, but I like the normal version because it takes all the weight away and you don’t feel the camera. I don’t wrap the straps around me wrist or any of that. I wear my camera cross body style all the time. And you can order them in custom lengths. For me it has to be at least 110cm. 

i tried the thin ones. I tried the rope ones. I tried the one that came in the box. They all dig into my collar bone. 

it’s The rock n roll black is black. Smells of beautiful leather. Gets softer every day. 

Edited by Chimichurri

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 5:38 AM, Mikep996 said:

Tried yet another aftermarket strap, the Vi Vante Ultime braided strap.  It looks great and it's very nicely made/excellent quality leather.  I figured it was 'right' for my 10R BP. ;)

I used it for one day and replaced it with a good old Leica 14312 strap.  ☹️   

Just like all the other 'designer straps' I have tried, the construction/appearance gets in the way of functionality.  In this case, the braided leather becomes too "bulky" of a package and I had to often physically shift it out of the way take a picture.  So, IMO it's useless as a functional strap.  OTOH,  it's perfect for a "display camera." But I don't own one of those.

Every time I try somebody's idea of how a strap should LOOK, I end up coming back to Leica's idea of how a camera strap should WORK.  🤔 

I have to admit that the 14312's low cost and lack of any pretension seems decidedly un-Leica-like.  They probably fired the designer years ago!  :)

Have you ever tried an UPstrap? I'm curious to know how it compares to the Leica strap, which has also been my favorite for 20+ years. 

2 minutes ago, piblondin said:

Have you ever tried an UPstrap? I'm curious to know how it compares to the Leica strap, which has also been my favorite for 20+ years. 

That post is over 2 years old...don't expect a reply.

Stick to the Leica strap you've used for so long...forget the nasty ostentatious sausages roll/convalutions  you have to pack into your bag...every time

All best  😊 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, david strachan said:

That post is over 2 years old...don't expect a reply.

Stick to the Leica strap you've used for so long...forget the nasty ostentatious sausages roll/convalutions  you have to pack into your bag...every time

All best  😊 

If a thread already exists for a given topic, why start a new one? 

I've found the Leica straps increasingly difficult to find new, so I ordered an UPstrap to try out. As you noted, I'm concerned about whether it will pack easily into my compact camera bags. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, piblondin said:

I swear by my Upstraps (now Journey Camera)! I use the small Friendship pad. I've tried and tried to get people on here into them, but the leather boutique thing is just too popular. What I love about the Upstrap is it doesn't slip off your shoulder, so no shrugging. I actually have as well one of the older Kevlar models from about fifteen plus years ago still going strong, currently on my M10M. 

2 hours ago, piblondin said:

If a thread already exists for a given topic, why start a new one? 

I've found the Leica straps increasingly difficult to find new, so I ordered an UPstrap to try out. As you noted, I'm concerned about whether it will pack easily into my compact camera bags. 

Did you get the small Friendship? Pretty much identical in size to the OG Leica strap. No problem for even the most compact bag. 

On 1/31/2024 at 1:29 PM, charlesphoto99 said:

Did you get the small Friendship? Pretty much identical in size to the OG Leica strap. No problem for even the most compact bag. 

I placed an order a few days ago and am awaiting shipping. I want something secure and lightweight that will fit in my smaller bags, which are just large enough to fit an M with a 35mm or 50mm attached, so the strap ends up getting jammed in around the lens. My primary concern re the Journey strap is whether the shoulder pad is flexible enough to wrap partially around the lens. 

Edited by piblondin

On 10/21/2022 at 11:43 PM, Chimichurri said:

I bought this one and it’s perfect for me. Some don’t like it because they say it’s not thin enough. They have a thin version, but I like the normal version because it takes all the weight away and you don’t feel the camera. I don’t wrap the straps around me wrist or any of that. I wear my camera cross body style all the time. And you can order them in custom lengths. For me it has to be at least 110cm. 

i tried the thin ones. I tried the rope ones. I tried the one that came in the box. They all dig into my collar bone. 

it’s The rock n roll black is black. Smells of beautiful leather. Gets softer every day. 

I'd been using an old PD leash on my newish M10, but it felt a bit insubstantial compared to the camera. Just received a rocknroll red dot, which feels wonderful; will report!

8 hours ago, Jackalope said:

I'd been using an old PD leash on my newish M10, but it felt a bit insubstantial compared to the camera. Just received a rocknroll red dot, which feels wonderful; will report!

My concern re the leash is that it would scratch the camera. Is that possible?