Survey: Interested in the Leica M10-R?

LUF Admin

Leica M10-R - Interested?  

560 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the Leica M10-R?

• Yes, I definitely am!
    • Interested, but wait and see...
    • No, I don't need the high resolution
    • Other opinion (see comment below)

This is a wait. Releasing this camera during a global pandemic and economic downturn, at a record-setting price for Leica, was a little tone-deaf. That said, this is the camera that the M10 should have been.

As to long-term with Leica, I'm not sure I am going to rush to replace the M240 and M246. With Leica service offline in the United States, high-concentration of the repair function in "the factory," and the few independent people taking forever to do repairs (I am five months and counting at DAG for a rangefinder adjustment...), I'm not sure that this is a survivable platform long-term. It's getting to be too much like owning a Rolex. And every new body I have owned has set off a lot of lens recalibration, which when you have two cameras and lenses that are "dialed-in" is not an attractive prospect.

And to be perfectly honest, Sony owns the high-resolution title with the A7riv, which has no antialiasing filter and 61mp. My experience with the A7 series is that it is a very well done system, and some of its lenses - like the 35/2.8 Zeiss FE Sonnar - are stupendously good, even by Leica standards.

We'll see where things go. 

Edited by dante
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jjk said:

I'm not interested.  While the quality might be the best there is, the new products in the M system are more than I can afford.   At this point in my life, I want image stabilization and autofocus for lenses longer than 35mm.

Absolutely. My M240 plus four lenses (one too many actually) is all I need as far as resolution is concerned. But I would definitely be tempted to sell the 240 and an M9 and three of the four lenses for IBIS and autofocus. I’d keep the 50 Summilux. I rarely use the others, all crons, 24, 35 and 90.

Edited by Stripey Badger
typos and correction

3 hours ago, Boojay said:

Too busy trying to stop myself buying an M10P - I'm such a shallow person, totally love the looks of the P, have SL2 for higher resolution, and an M10 that satisfies my M urges (for now).  But honestly, is there anyone here that deep down doesn't want one.

I have had another of my ‘good ideas’! We should have another thread with a vote that says:

- you should stick with your M10 

or

- you should get an M10-P, even if some will think you shallow (I won’t; I have two -P bodies!)

Thank me later. Perhaps as you leave the shop..

🙂

• Haha 1

I have been using the Leica M10-P for a year, with a APO Summicron M 50 2.0 ASPH. My daily-carry is the Leica Q, on its fourth year of heavy use.

Guessing the traditional Leica strategy to have 2 - 4 iterations along the main M-number line, this new M10-R may be the last before M11.  I will wait for DXOMARK.com tests on the M10-R before any purchase consideration.  At this moment, I am still waiting for my Leica Q2 order from last year to arrive.

The M10's and M10-R shortfall is the blackout in lifeview, in particular in continous shooting mode. Further, the manual selection of lens profiles requires too many steps. Both hampers the use of Leica-R lenses and of uncoded Leica-M lenses.

The optical and mechanical components are good for decades. This made Leica affordable in the long run. However, todays digitial innards get redundant almost as quick as with lesser and cheaper brands. There is no way for a factory upgrade, let alone for a user upgrade.

I am NOT “interested” in the sense of running out to buy one, but I AM very interested in learning more about it as an extension to the M ecosystem. And if I were in a position to buy any Leica right now, it is almost certainly the one I would buy. It surprises me how much negativity there is toward it in the comments.

I really like that Leica is moving to higher resolution cameras generally, now that advances in technology don’t make the other factors of image quality (eg noise and dynamic range) worse than what we had in the prior lower megapixel cameras.

In that sense, I would have been keen to buy an M10R due to the higher resolution ..... and actually had held off from getting an M10 for precisely the reason that it had the same 24mp as my M240.

But I voted “other opinion” because I personally think that my SL2 better allows me to maximise all t he resolution I can from that 40mp+ sensor due to (1) higher quality SL prime lenses (relative to the M lenses), (2) accurate focus anywhere on the sensor (relative to the M centre rangefinder patch), and (3) IBIS (relative to it not existing in the M).

After 25 years of using Ms before my move to the SL2, I do miss the smaller M form factor though!

I purchases a 10 Monochrome and I am impressed by the quality difference between the M10 24mp color sensor converted to monochrome verses a native 40mp monochrome..   So munch so I ordered a M10R yesterday and sold my M10 ....   Yes it is pricy but the resolution is there.  FYI I still like shooting film on my older Leicas..

• Like 1

I ask myself would this ( or any) upgrade make me a better photographer, improve my photography....  enable me to catch that moment?  Make me less of a lazy photographer? And the realistic answer is probably no. 

I may of course hanker after a future upgrade, but then I hanker after a number of other upgrades too like:

upgrading my Beamer to a Porsche.  Upgrading my modest terraced town house to a spacious detached modern bungalow in a picturesque small town. Upgrading my modest holiday bungalow by a lake in Hungary to a modest villa sat overlooking one of the Italian lakes.

But I'm happy to stay with my D2 and M9 both of which I'm delighted with.  Perhaps one day after my second generation iPhone packs up and I'm forced to replace that.  I'll .....  who knows?