M10 Repairs by Leica UK

erniethemilk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The rangefinder on my M10-P has stopped working.  The arm and front roller stick frequently now whenever a lens is mounted.  

From what I have researched it appears that it needs a bit of a clean and lube, which I am certainly not capable of doing!  Does anyone have any experience of whether Leica UK are likely to repair this or if it will end up going back to Germany.  

From a brief chat with the Leica store in London, they are suggesting to book an appointment with their tech guys and let them take a look.  In an ideal world I’d prefer them to repair as I don’t particularly want to be without the camera for the next 3-4 months, albeit the choices are limited as its only current use at the moment is as a boat anchor!

If you are anywhere near London it must be worth going in to see them. And while you're there, take in a exhibition or two - the Leica store is not that far from the Photographers' Gallery and there are bound to be a few other things worth seeing. But whatever you do, don't look in the used equipment for sale display 😁

I live about 85 miles from The Smoke and can usually conjure up enough excuses to make a day out on the train worthwhile.

John

• Like 1

Thanks John, I’ve been into the store on a couple of occasions previously, even though I live a couple of hours away & it is an effort to get there.

I think at this stage I have little choice than to book it in there and see what they think.

These may be useful (From Mr Leica.com in the UK).  I cannot vouch for any of them though - sorry the links haven’t copied across.  The Classic Camera in London may also be able to help (where I bought my M10).

UK Leica repair services

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Deejaybeephoto said:

These may be useful (From Mr Leica.com in the UK).  I cannot vouch for any of them though - sorry the links haven’t copied across.  The Classic Camera in London may also be able to help (where I bought my M10).

UK Leica repair services

Thanks for these. I’ll investigate a couple and find out their thoughts on repair. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped my M10-P off at Leica UK yesterday.  Off to Germany it goes, who knows when I’m likely to see it again, even they don’t know how long repairs and service take!  Their estimated guess is somewhere between 3 and 4 months minimum! 

• 3 weeks later...

Had a quote back from Leica AG for my squeaking/stuck rangefinder mechanism.... Just the cool £1300 odd pounds!  🥵

Have to say I'm a bit shocked, considering they are proposing to repair the shutter mechanism & main printed circuit board which didn't seem to show any signs of failure whilst I had it.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:14 AM, erniethemilk said:

Dropped my M10-P off at Leica UK yesterday.  Off to Germany it goes, who knows when I’m likely to see it again, even they don’t know how long repairs and service take!  Their estimated guess is somewhere between 3 and 4 months minimum! 

Count on 6 to 8 month now dixit Leica Switzerland... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

Had a quote back from Leica AG for my squeaking/stuck rangefinder mechanism.... Just the cool £1300 odd pounds!  🥵

Have to say I'm a bit shocked, considering they are proposing to repair the shutter mechanism & main printed circuit board which didn't seem to show any signs of failure whilst I had it.

😵‍💫

• Like 1

I sent my M10R to germany from Leica UK (under warranty mercifully... as the work amounted to 2.2K£). It was away for 5 weeks and I could get a loaner camera (available if you are a pro I think, depending on availabilities)