Survey: Interested in the Leica M10-R?

LUF Admin

Leica M10-R - Interested?  

560 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the Leica M10-R?

• Yes, I definitely am!
    • Interested, but wait and see...
    • No, I don't need the high resolution
    • Other opinion (see comment below)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, LUF Admin said:

Last week the Leica M10-R was introduced, meanwhile there is a lot of information and opinion about the camera.

What is your opinion? Interested in the Leica M10-R?

Please vote above and comment below!

I have an M8, two Leitz lenses, one VL lens and two Jupiter, I think I'll wait till a second hand market. 

13 minutes ago, 33rd_eye_photography said:

Last year I purchased the M10-D and I just purchased the M10-Monochrome while my M10-D was sent to Wetzlar Park for servicing.  I thought that Leica had really hit its mark with the M10 Monochrom at 41 megapixels only to find out that some decision makers of Leica have taken on the "Apple" mindset to production.  They increased the megapixels in the "M" system for the Monochrom only to put the color channels back in the camera to confuse it's market base.  Pure Leica enthusiasts are scratching our heads while the Gear junkies are chasing down every model.

I often look at my M2 that was given to me by my father in 1977 when I took photography classes in school and wonder how did we get here..  Just to think the M8 almost tanked Leica when it got into the digital sphere and the M9 saved them ( I had an M9 too).  Eventually we will get back to taking pictures and stop worrying about huge product release dates......another Apple methodology for increasing sales.

I am Leica through and through but we need to take a serious look at what we are trying to accomplish.  Leica competes with no one but itself right now.

A fair thing to say however I think there is somehow a pressure that someone should buy every upgrade. I think if you were to buy one camera of your careful choosing over 10 years then the value proposition is being quite favourable given the second hand value of these cameras. I have seen even M9 prices begin to rise again, to nearly 50% of original value,  because they are excellent and solid, cameras now they have their sensor issues addressed.

I am very much excited about this camera and while I acknowledge the people's reluctance to move to a higher pixel count, I am very much looking forward to it. This is perhaps my dream camera. While it may seem confusing, I believe there really is a product that represents more people now.

There are people who will upgrade from M9 to M10-R and be over the moon with happiness. The cost of transfer with trade or after used sale is similar to the cost any high end camera and after such a long period more acceptable.

But I agree that the cost of entrance is significantly higher than historically, and quite prohibitive, especially in such financially insecure times. I will buy the M10-R probably at the end of this year as it is only wise to wait to see how the economy stands over this next half year.

After purchasing an M10-Monochrom in January and enjoying the superb sensor I would have said YES to the M10-R in a hartbeat to replace my M10. But my color photography  has shifted lately more in a direction where an EVF is necessary (Macro and longer lenses).  So it's now a 50/50 between the SL2 and the M10-R.  The IBIS and EVF would let me choose the SL2 but on the other hand the form factor of the M9 was the reason for leaving my Canon 1DsMkIII on the shelf in 2009. Though decision.

Edited by Stef63
  • Like 1

Just received my SL2, so my needs for high resolution is covered. Together with my M10 it is a perfect combo, for different needs. I will wait and see what the next iteration (M11?) will bring! 

Edited by orla

2 hours ago, 6bit said:

Because some of us print large formats. 

Interested. DR a big plus.

Resolution a big plus.
Have they made the ISO dial easier to pull up?

Want an EVF version. 

You can go pretty large with 24MP too, or buy medium format instead.    

Not interested. Not only the fact that I never really print bugger than a3 it sounds more marketing. Is Leica trying to compete with Sony? Moreover I know a bunch of guys here enjoying old design lenses. How will it perform with such a demanding sensor?

i keep my M9 which is more than enough actually...

The  M10R is a very interesting camera, however, I do not really need one, as I have an M240 and a SL2. When I buy another   Leica it will be  Monochrome 10. 

i am using L, M and R lenses and don‘t really need AF for most subjects that I prefer. The nes SL lenses are superb. I have so far restrained myself, as they are quite expensive and i own an extensive selection of lenses which satisfy my needs. I do lust fir the Summucron 50 APO, but need to save up.

My M10 is more than adequate to my needs, I never print larger than A3. Dynamic range is ok for me. Therefore no reason to upgrade. If I had no digital M and desiring to buy one I would evaluate the M10-R against the M10-P.

Nice to see Leica still working on improvements keeping the M simple. As an M should be, IMO 🙂

Of course I want one! And someday, if I’m still functional, I’ll want the M11, M12, M14, etc. Therein lies the problem. 

Economic reality keeps me attached to my M2 and Tri-X, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Last week the Leica M10-R was introduced, meanwhile there is a lot of information and opinion about the camera.

What is your opinion? Interested in the Leica M10-R?

Please vote above and comment below!

Although I own older Leica lenses Tri Elmar 28-35-50,  35 Summilux pre-asph, 75 Summilux, 90mm Tele-Elmar 90 and the Canon 50mm 0.95 along with the 40mm Summicron and the 135 Leitz and a few other lenses from Voigtlanger ,I have purchased the Noctilux 0.95 and the 50mm APO both twice and sold them, I love Leica because of rendering of the image and the contrast. The newer Leica lenses seemed to me too sterile. As for the wide angle Leica lenses I owed and sold because of the size and disliked how the filters attached. I want the new R because i want a new world of images and imperfections. 

I'm much more interested in faster camera operation than anything else. In particular: much faster camera wake-up time, better shutter response (like on film Leicas), faster enabling live-view. It would be nice to have better dynamic range, higher ISO performance and longer battery life (than M10's). Many of these could probably be fixed with a faster and more efficient processor and I'll take these changes over increase in resolution anytime.

I'm not buying a Leica M to shoot landscapes or be in a studio. There are plenty of other cameras that can do it better. I want a fast and discrete street and travel shooter! 

Hope M11 addresses all or most of these things, then, I'll upgrade from what I already have. 

• Like 1