M10-P to Q/Q-P/Q2

I have both too. As my main focal lengths are 28, 35 and 50mm the Q2 is a perfect complement to the M10. Whenever I go out by myself (with only one camera) then instead of the M10 I probably will take the Q2 as it is much more versatile in the mentioned focal lengths.

In the beginning I had some problems with the import into lightroom. I had very strong colors. I have this now under control with the standard Adobe Color profile. 

The questions maybe to consider are:

What type of photography do you do? e.g. Landscape, Street, etc.

What lenses do you use most frequently with your M10?

Answers to those questions should help people here give you more contextual answers.

All very good answers above!

If you are used to shoot only one fixed lenght lens - what i don't belive - then the step over to the Q is not that big.
Should you are used to choose the glass accordingly to what you shoot then you need to get used to be not able to change focal lenght.
This is somekind old school and i learned with fixed lengt cameras to photograph, but it needed some time of getting used again that
my legs ar the zoom, if i can walk to/from the object, crop and blow up or miss the shot.
The only limit of the excellent 28mm is that it's sometimes still too long, especially for me as 15mm diagonal fisheye as one of my most used lenses.
However, thats the way how a non changable, fixed lenght lens works, and it will be always like this.

Yes, i would not buy a exclusively manual camera, i am very fine with AF and if i need to focua manual i switch AF off.
But 90% i use AF to focus, probably because i'm lazy. Only MF leads probably to a decelerateed style pf photography, but i'm not ready for that.

Should you pull the trigger for a Q series, then don't loose time and money with the Q, the Q2 is definitively superior!

Chris

Also have both M10 and Q2.  I sold my SL (first generation) with 75mm lens to fund the Q2 and don't regret that for one moment.  I now use Q2 far more than M10 - it can do far more than you might expect for a 28mm fixed lens camera.  Have recently bought the M10 Mono, which probably means I will use the basic M10 even less.  Q2 and M10 Mono make a great combination.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the M10P, M10 Mono and Q.  They complement each other very nicely but I do prefer fast lux FLE prime lenses (I have the 28mm, 35mm and 50mm) over the cropping provided by the Q.  So I use the Q for street otherwise I will take one of the Ms or the Sony a7rIV.  

I sold my M10 and got a Q-P. Same reasons as you - it just seemed silly to buy massively expensive wide aperture lenses that are very hard to focus properly. I loved my M10 and 24 Summilux combo though, and the Q-P is very similar but much more versatile and easy to use.

I do miss a 50mm Summilux and would love a 50mm Q with a 1.7 lens, even if it was a bit bigger than the current 28mm version. Leica are missing a trick I think, as I reckon many people would multiple Qs if they had different focal length versions.

I also bought a CL with an 18-56 and 55-135 lens to give me a really versatile 2-lens setup. The CL is really excellent.

• Like 5

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Tobers:

I also bought a CL with an 18-56 and 55-135 lens to give me a really versatile 2-lens setup.

Exactly this is what most Q series owners (like me) want to avoid ...
The Q2 with interchangable lenses is called SL2, thats the camera engeneered by Leica for people who want
the 48MP sensor with interchangable lenses, but with the backdraw of a slightly bigger housing and at a much steeper price  tag.

Th Cl is certainly a nice camera and the two lenses you have gives you a very versatile setup,
but it's a APS-C camera while the Q is FF and the and the Q2 has also 48MP.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb ajmarton1:

So I use the Q for street otherwise I will take one of the Ms or the Sony a7rIV.

This is the main application for what the Q/Q2 was designed for, a small travel camera with excelent optical qualities.
I consider the Q series also as a excellent portrait camera for relaxed, out of the studio shootings portraits.
For most other applications and/or the need for with interchangable optics there are better and more versatile cameras, Leicas or other brands.

Chris

I agree with everyone else. The main question is how/what you intend to shoot and if 28mm (plus ability with the Q2 resolution to crop longer) suits that shooting. If so, I would expect you to love the Q/Q2. And should you want the manual focus experience, it's brilliantly implemented on the Q/Q2. Sometimes when I'm shooting static subjects and feel like slowing down the experience, taking my time, I'll switch my Q2 to manual focus.

An M is easiest to focus in the 28-50mm range. It gets increasingly more difficult thereafter. The Q2 is a fixed 28, focused manually or auto. There is some redundancy there, especially as an M with a 50mm gives a ballpark similar image to the cropped Q2's (slightly different DoF, different mps, but not a game changer, IMO).

So it largely comes down to what you most enjoy.

I have a Q and a CL with a lot of TL, M, and R glass. Then I bought the M4-P and a bunch of darkroom equipment. I haven't touched the Q in a year and use the CL for scanning negatives. That's just me....that's what I enjoy.

Don't make yourself crazy splitting hairs. There is no one best decision. Leica wants you to buy lots! 🙂

• Like 2

After using Leica rangefinders since 2008 (from M6 to MM), I recently sold off my final rangefinder gear and picked up a Leica Q-P. A few years ago, I had a Leica Q, so it wasn’t a step into the unknown for me. As others have said, I think the most critical aspect is whether you can “live at 28mm.” Back when I first had the Q, I resolved that I could not. But, across that experience and with time, I know that I can, happily and productively. I have never used a crop mode on the Q (or Q-P), but it does permit some minor-to-moderate old-school cropping in rare situations.

In my perspective, the decision of Q or Q-P or Q2 is less important. I decided on the Q-P (new old stock) over a Q2. Price wasn’t the deterrent per the Q2; call me an odd fish, but I like the rendering and IQ of Q/Q-P more and don’t need more megapixels or larger files. YMMV!

Regardless of which Q version you may get, I think you’ll find the camera a good mix of “old” and “new,” with great haptics, basic interfaces and options, and dual capacities to use fast auto focus or manual focus.

Good luck with your decision …

• Like 1